Booking Rooms (for 2) Under New Program

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtoddander

Train Attendant
Was looking at points required under new program. If I select room or roomette, do I also need to spend additional points for me or my companion? In other words, does the point charge for the room include both room and transport for me and companion?

Was looking at points required under new program. If I select room or roomette, do I also need to spend additional points for me or my companion? In other words, does the point charge for the room include both room and transport for me and companion?
From what I understand, you have to pay for the rail fare with the points now as well, along with the premium cost for whatever accommodation you add on.

When you enter your from and to stations and select the date you want to leave, it automatically populates the first of the drop-down boxes that appear below that line with 1 adult (13-61). Obviously if you're booking a train at least one person is going.

Out of curiosity, I checked dates one year from our trip this past June. Old system 40,000 points two zone roomette round trip. New system 74,000 points. Two major differences: Going the longer way(Texas Eagle over the Southwest Chief)costs more and two people will increase the cost and points. Glad we did our trip then. I have one last hurrah using the old system for April. ELP-FTL 20,000 points.. Now with the new system 63,000 points for two people.

Out of curiosity, I checked dates one year from our trip this past June. Old system 40,000 points two zone roomette round trip. New system 74,000 points. Two major differences: Going the longer way(Texas Eagle over the Southwest Chief)costs more and two people will increase the cost and points. Glad we did our trip then. I have one last hurrah using the old system for April. ELP-FTL 20,000 points.. Now with the new system 63,000 points for two people.
I just booked a round trip coach trip TOL-CHI that would used to cost me 11,000 points for 2,800 points.

Yes, there is an upside to the new system and TOL-CHI is a good example. Under the old system it would have cost 5500 points each way. Coach trips and sleepers for one benefit. Another great example would be Cleveland-Chicago. Using points in the old system you would have been using two zones. I can't imagine anybody actually using 8,000 points for that short a trip. The closer to the zone boundary would be less with the new system. . Another example..Lewistown Pa is the closest station to me. Under the old system a trip to LAX using Coach would have been 10,500 points. It is less using AGR 2.0 My point was using the longest route possible with two people in a roomette will cost a lot more under the new system,and that's what we did last summer.

If you book a room for two, you will need points for two rail fares. But my question is, can the second person's points be used for their portion? I don't see a technical problem since you enter both AGR numbers. If you are paying for the ticket, the system makes the arbitrary decision to split the points earned, with the first number listed getting one rail fares's and the room charge's worth of points, and the second getting only the railfare's.

Back