Bomb threat delayed train & I'll miss connection. What do I do

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mynewsla item says southbound no. 4. Interesting that no. 4 is eastbound. That happened in California. That's not very enlightening. Saber Mom's consist got stopped in Kansas. It looks like the bogus call just said the supposed bomb was on the SW Chief, making it necessary for Amtrak to stop and inspect every enroute consist. These jokers need a new hobby. Tom
Some would say this is the new hobby.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

As our emergency services have become increasingly militarized and sensitive there has been a growing trend of tricking our emergency services into potentially lethal overreactions through simple misrepresentation. We've been preparing even relatively tiny police forces for routine military style incursions and when those exaggerated threats failed to materialize our law enforcement personnel began to react to whatever did come their way as if they were suppressing an extremely well armed and highly sophisticated terrorism cell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love a system that requires you to actually miss your connection before they'll begin to do anything about it.
As Julie so often says, 'Trains can, and often do, make up lost time while in route. Your train is scheduled to arrive on time.'

Julie could be correct, but only if Amtrak has successfully installed Warp engines and Mr. Spock (RIP) is on-board to do the time reversal calculations.

Gotta love a system that requires you to actually miss your connection before they'll begin to do anything about it.
As Julie so often says, 'Trains can, and often do, make up lost time while in route. Your train is scheduled to arrive on time.'

Julie could be correct, but only if Amtrak has successfully installed Warp engines and Mr. Spock (RIP) is on-board to do the time reversal calculations.
There's padding at certain points in the schedule. The schedule isn't made to be "fastest possible time along the route", it's to be about how long it takes, on an average day, to travel along the route. Usually this means many intermediate points are timed to be fastest possible along the route, but a few intermediate points (and endpoints) add additional time in because of expected delays along the route.

No warp engines needed.

I am home safely. When we got to Chicago, they had everything arranged for us. There were five of us, so we were put into a van and driven. It went well. Our driver and my fellow passengers were wonderful.

I promise to do a trip report and will link to it sometime this week. I'm pretty tired, and I have a rare autoimmune disease, so I'll be focusing on rest for the next two days and then I'll do my trip report.

Would I travel Amtrak again? You bet. I had one heck of a time (and I mean that in a good way).

Glad you were able to enjoy your trip and didn't mind the delays too much. Your experiences should make for an interesting trip report. Or a short novel for that matter. I've visited areas in the throes of government toppling coups and lethal epidemics with fewer problems than your first trip on Amtrak. I shudder to think what Amtrak might do for an encore should you endeavor to ride again.

:help:

Glad you made it home OK!

If you're a typical AUer soon as you're rested up you'll start thinking about and planning your next Amtrak Adventure!

Look forward to reading your trip report, and hope Winter is over soon for all our train friends up North!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back