BART strike: Unions give 72-hour notice of shutdown (8/8/13)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight, BART management made what they call their "best and final" offer. Labor unions have requested that this offer be removed from the table and that management return to the bargaining table on 14 October. Union further said they will NOT go out on strike tonight, but will go out on strike at 12:01 AM on 15 October if no agreement is reached with management.

After a week of daily deadlines, the unions have declared a strike at midnight tonight. Unlike the others, this one has a huge chance of coming through.

Personally? This is an example of a Union asking too much. Some of the items being demanded from BART management are that the workers continue to pay 0% of their own salaries toward medical plans and pensions, while receiving a 5% COLA increase in salaries over a 2 year period.

BART already ranks as one of the highest-paid transit systems in the United States.

Sorry, but even though I am a Union worker myself, this is asking too much. I say terminate the negotiations at this point, fire all employees taking to the picket lines, and offer a one-time invitation to those current employees who would like to still have a job to come back at the terms offered in BART's "best and final offer." Which, per NPR, is a 3% COLA increase in salaries over a 3 year period and a 10% contribution toward health care and pensions.

BART, unions settle final contract dispute

Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) and its two largest unions have resolved all of their labor contract issues, agency and union representatives announced over the weekend.

BART General Manager Grace Crunican said she will recommend ratification of a final collective bargaining agreement with Service Employees International Union Local 1021 and Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1555. The agreement was reached Saturday with the assistance of the Federal Mediation Conciliation Service, BART and union officials said.

Back