baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris&Essex

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

Usually when I take Amtrak, I keep my luggage with me in the overhead rack in coach so I don't miss my commuter train while waiting for my checked bags. Anyway, due to logistical reasons I'd like to check my bags on an upcoming LSL trip. Has anyone had their locks cut off via boltcutters by Amtrak or security personnel? Seems that this happens on occasion at airports despite special "TSA locks" that can be opened and shut without damage by TSA personnel. Wondering if anyone had that experience on Amtrak.

Also, with the late 10 pm LSL departure from CUS, and my hotel checkout around 11 AM, is there a limit as to how many hours in advance you can check your suitcase? I'd like to spend all that free time in the city, but my hotel is in the suburbs and I don't want the hassle of those lockers.

Thanks in advance!

I'm aware of no restrictions on just when one can check a bag in on the day of departure. If you were trying to do it a day early, that might be a problem.

If you were traveling in a sleeper, then I'd tell you to leave your bag in the Metro Lounge. But it doesn't sound like you're doing that.

I can't answer the question about the locks, since I've never checked a bag yet while riding Amtrak. Although I can't imagine why they would have to open a bag, as long as it is properly taged with your name and an Amtrak luggage tag. They don't have inspections like the airlines. If the lock is gone, that would most likely mean that your bag met up with a dishonest employee.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually check bags on my train trips and have never had a problem with them being locked. The bags that I usually check have built-in combination locks, so they'd have to bust open the bag if they wanted to inspect the contents.

As far as I can tell, the baggage folks really don't care when you check your bags, as long as you have a ticket departing that day to where the bags are going. Through the magic of Amtrak, your bags will appear at your destination somehow. So, as long as the baggage room is open, I'd expect that they will accept luggage. If in doubt, call and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back