Baggage Weight Limit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I noticed that there is a 50 lb limit on each piece of baggage now. Does this include baggage that is carried on? Since I will be in a sleeper I will not check any baggage. It will all be carried, or rolled, by me. There will probably be no problem but should I use a smaller bag to be safe? I have a 27 X 19 X 10 inch bag that weight 15 lbs empty.

The 50lb policy is strictly enforced on ALL luggage, even the carry on items. While I was on board 92 Friday, the Conductor told me he turned away two people because there bag was over weight and they refused to check it. This is done so that people don't take up as much room with heavy bags, and so that the Conductors and OBS personnel do not get injured with heavy luggage.

I'm sure that Amtrak will try to enforce this policy as best as they can. However I defy any conductor to be able to look at my bag as I carry it into my sleeper to know that my bag might be over weight. Oversize, yes one may be able to tell that at a glance.

But there is simply no way for a conductor to know that my bag is over weight, unless I'm silly enough to ask him for help carrying it.

question.. when i travel i'm going to have 2 diaper bags, and a duffle bag (military style). Is there going to be a problem with my duffle in a superliner standard room along with a infant car seat, 2 kids and my self. Please let me know

i also know that were im leaving from and going to i wont be able to check my bag.. Is that right.. From Lincoln, NE to Sparks, NV

With my experience two diaper bags and a duffle shouldn't be a problem in the room. As far as the car seat goes check it if possible (it'll serve no useful purpose in the room), or if you are travelling to/from a station without checked baggage ask the attendant to have it stowed for you (I forget whether the Superliners have a luggage rack downstairs in the sleepers).

Checked baggage is definately not an option. Your luggage probably will fit into the room, although it might be a bit tight. Especially during the day, since you won't have much floor room. You might be better off leaving the duffel bad downstairs in the luggage rack.

And yes Superliner sleepers do have a luggage rack downstairs, just like the coaches. Putting a car seat in the standard room will be just about impossible, unless you keep it on a seat during the day and at the foot of the lower bed during the night.

I also don't know if the three of you are going to fit in the lower bed, it may be possible but it will be a tight squeeze. That may mean that you will have to put the kids in the lower bed and yourself in the upper bed. Under no circumstances should you put the 2-year-old in the upper bed. The safety straps will only keep an adult or a child that's at least 3 and a half feet tall from falling out.

On thing I learned about the Superliner is that there is a lot more space to put luggage than just that luggage rack at the bottom of the stairs. There are a few compartments that can be acessed from the outside of the car. Plus, on the upper-level on the Standard room end there is a closet that is used to store linen, but there is plenty of space for a couple of suitcases if needed. While many passengers don't know about this, I'm sure when things become tight the attendant will resort to using the other storage areas. Though on the Viewliner your luggage is either in your room or in the baggage car.

Not always. Some of the nicer attendants will stow bags in the "lounge" part of the Dorm if you are going to a station without checked baggage.

I've also seen attendant place luggage in the vestibule, the shower, and even in their own room on the Viewliners. It really just depends on the attendant and how much he/she likes doing their job.

You can put the duffel bag on upper bed during the daytime. There's some room when the bed is in closed (unused) position.

During nighttime, you can put duffel bag between the lower bed and the wall next to the hallway. There is gap between them. One side has a step for sleeper to access to upper bed while other side is nothing, probably a coat hook.

thanks. my 2 year old will be sleeping on the bottom bunk as my 7 month old and i will be on the top/ she'll sleep on the by the wall and i on the out side (if im not holding her the whole night..

If you would like to bring more luggage with you than would be comfortable on board, you might want to consider taking the train an additional three miles from Sparks, Nevada to Reno, Nevada. Reno is the very next station stop, is only about another ten minutes or so on the train, and then you would be able to check bags at both ends and wouldn't have to carry everything onboard with you. Another benefit of taking the train to Reno is that it is a much more accommodating facility with a warm waiting room and offers help with baggage. (It is currently only about 40 degrees here in the Reno/Sparks area, so this is important to keep in mind. I know because I attend UofN Reno) The station in Sparks is only a concrete platform, there is no station building. It's just something to consider - I wanted to make sure you know all your options. :)

thanks.. I'm moving to fernley. i had thought about Reno instead but already have my tickets in hand for Sparks. I've never been to the area so im in for a treat..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back