Baggage on Pacific Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyflag4

Train Attendant
We will be arriving in Fullerton on the SW Chief and then continuing onto San Diego on the Pacific Surfliner in business class. I noticed that the baggage max. size is different. SWC=28x22x14 whereas Pacific Surfliner is 28x22x11. Why the difference and does it really matter? When I talked to someone at Amtrak they told me that all baggage sizes were the same for all trains and then I noticed this difference. So am wondering how firm that is?

The Surfliner cars use the same setup for luggage as the Superliners used on the Chief.

The overhead luggage racks on the Surfliner cars is just a little different than the overhead luggage racks on the Superliner cars used on the Chief. That may be the reason for the difference in maximum size. That being said I've never had an issue getting a normal airline-style "roll-aboard" bag into either version of the overhead racks.

In the extremely small chance that your bag doesn't fit in the Surfliner overhead rack... there are also luggage towers on the lower level of the car and on the upper level at the end of the car that allow for oversized bags and hanging garment bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are riding on a Race Track Day, especially in Biz Class where you are guaranteed a Seat, you shouldn't have any problem carrying/storing your Luggage onto the Surfliner in Fullerton! Maybe you'll get lucky and get a Single Level Surfliner Train set with the Amtrak Dome "Ocean View" in the consist like we did last August! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
We took the Surfliner from the SWC all th way to San Diego. Our bags were checked all the way. They actually arrived on an earlier train than we did! For our rolling luggage, we just left it on the lower level. Would have had a lower level seat if we had known you had to reserve them. CJ

The overhead luggage racks on the Surfliner cars is just a little different than the overhead luggage racks on the Superliner cars used on the Chief. That may be the reason for the difference in maximum size. That being said I've never had an issue getting a normal airline-style "roll-aboard" bag into either version of the overhead racks.
A 21" upright suiter should be maybe 9" thick unless expanded. However, Amtrak has a larger published carry-on size.

Not sure what the difference is with the Surfliner. I looked at photos, and they all seem to be open racks similar to all the California Cars and Superliners I've been on.

The overhead luggage racks on the Surfliner cars are not as tall as in a Superliner car, as you've noted from the Amtrak website. However, if your luggage does not exceed the typical airline carry-on requirement, then you should not have a problem. I've done this many times with my 21" suiter. Also, as noted by a previous poster above, there are additional luggage racks on the lower level and at either ends of each car on the upper level.

I've never seen any Surfliner conductor enforce carry-on baggage size requirements. As long as you are able to carry it on and stow it safely yourself, you should be fine. If not, consider checking it in (if available for your city pair).

Just for fun: Items I regularly see on the Surfliner which exceed the carry on baggage requirements: huge duffle bags, hockey/sports bags, and, of course, surfboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back