Bad timing on the Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jshell

Train Attendant
Just wanted to grumble a little bit, as I love the Zephyr and am glad that it provides a modicum of long distance service to my city (Salt Lake).

But: "Denver Noise Fest" is this weekend and I got a hankering to take the #6 Zephyr to Denver on Saturday to catch the second night of it and see some friends as a last minute kind of goof, but realized that this weekend is when the #6 temporary schedule shift kicks in so it's running (at least) two hours later and isn't scheduled to get into Denver until 9:38pm or so. And if it's late? Hoo boy. The normal scheduled time would have been worth it but this way I'd only catch the very end of the sets.

Especially as my incredibly stupid "I probably really can't do this any more at 40" plans were to stay up all night and hop back on the #5 on Sunday morning back to SLC.

Oh well. I've got a big cross-country trip coming up in a few weeks anyway :) (Which is why it's too late to do last minute flights to DEN this weekend - just not worth the money) (Maybe Greyhound? Don't think I can do 10+ hours in a bus though).

Last edited by a moderator:
The 7:50 AM Dog out of SLC is not so bad in a pinch. It would get you in Denver in plenty of time. Party hearty and hit the #5 in the AM and relax all the way back. Sounds like a good time!

I was keeping an eye on the #6 that passed through Salt Lake this morning and realized it didn't even leave here until about 4 hours late and it's not even supposed to be on the temporary schedule yet. It looks like it's made up a little bit of time but this is a reminder of why I fly to DEN for this festival and then take the train back. If it's late, it's usually *too* late to use the night.

Interesting observation: all three eastbound #6 trains are running behind schedule right now; all three westbound #5 trains are on time. Seems like last year was rough on #5 for weeks on end and since I'm on the 5 much more than the 6, I'm hoping this trend holds.

The Greyhound is still an option and a friend has even suggested taking a road trip but I think I've pretty much talked myself out of this trip. .. not entirely, but pretty much. I think I'll spend Sunday morning in the company of the much nicer, cuter, softer kinds of Greyhounds (retired racers) instead.

It's all just a moment in time, jshell. By that I mean to say, the trend youre hoping to see in your analysis is NOT a trend at all. The late 6 you were watching, for example, was nearly four hours late due to brake problems with its second locomotive west of Winnemucca. Not because of anything systemic that would delay another train 6 or any other trains at all. Track work, floods, etc cause systemic delays. And Amtrak does a pretty good job of putting information out there about those things.

I'd say take your trip to DEN, without over thinking things. It is what it is, and nothing more. The majority of trains have been running pretty good with respect to time on the Zephyr lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back