Bad news about Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
battalion51 said:
The plan Amfleet presents is among the possiblities that is being thrown around. The main goal of the daily train to NOL from MIA is the connection to the City of New Orleans. If you look at the Sunset's numbers it does support service from ORL-NOL easily. Once you get past NOL you are looking at a train with maybe sixty people on board total. There is no way that you will see the entire Sunset run daily, it just aint gonna happen. Although Mr. Gunn doesn't want to have to terminate service to the few people the Sunset does serve, but it's a question of economics, is it worth our while and equipment to run a train that carries sixty people?
Battalion,

First while I suspect that at this time of the year you may be correct about the number of riders past NOL. Howevevr, during the summer months the Sunset does better than 60 people west of NOL.

However even as you say the numbers don't justify daily service west of NOl, you also overlook the very reason that the numbers aren't better. People need to know that the train will be there every day of the week for them. When it comes to long distance trains, the two worst performers for Amtrak are the Sunset & the Cardinal. Both are trains that only run 3 times a week.

People can't plan their travels and vacations around that major inconvienence. Making the above trains daily will increase ridership. Amtrak already proved this when the Eagle went daily and ridership soared. :)

You do bring up a valid point Alan but, people also can't rely on service that's 27 hours late, it's absurd. In my opinon the train needs to be run as two seperate trains because the SFA attitude is not a good one, because that's an intercity west unit. The crews on this side (especially at SFA) don't really care because SFA's function is for the pride and joy, (as they call it) Auto Train. If the train is sent to Miami and is a member of the Intercity East team the train will run better quality service for than what is being run now. Something that breaks on the trek east from LA probably won't be fixed until it arrives back in LA a week later, that's a long time. A 2700 mile journey is not fit for one crew and one set of equipment, even two's pushin it.

I too beleive 2700 miles is too long for one route. Maybe one train could operate from MIA to NOL then that trainset could layover in NOL for, lets say, 4-5 hours then continue as a new train to LAX. Alan is correct that the thrice weekly service can be very inconvienent.

I had thought the Sunset was doing much better these days, under 1 hour late.

battalion51 said:
You do bring up a valid point Alan but, people also can't rely on service that's 27 hours late, it's absurd. In my opinon the train needs to be run as two seperate trains because the SFA attitude is not a good one, because that's an intercity west unit. The crews on this side (especially at SFA) don't really care because SFA's function is for the pride and joy, (as they call it) Auto Train. If the train is sent to Miami and is a member of the Intercity East team the train will run better quality service for than what is being run now. Something that breaks on the trek east from LA probably won't be fixed until it arrives back in LA a week later, that's a long time. A 2700 mile journey is not fit for one crew and one set of equipment, even two's pushin it.
Battalion,

You've also raised another good point for the poor passenger loads on the Sunset. People not only need daily service, they need on-time service. On my recent trip on the Sunset JAX-NOL, I met a man traveling to Dallas for a funeral. Just imagine how upset he would be, had the train run 20 hours late forcing him to miss his brother's funeral.

If Amtrak can get service that runs daily and no more than an hour late, then I think that the Sunset can be a viable run.

I can't speak to whether it would be better operationally to split the train at NOL or not. However, as far as the crew I don't feel that's too much for two teams. Remember that technically, even though passengers can't stay on board, the Capital/Southwest Chief combo utilizes only two crews. If it works here, then it should work for the Sunset.

I do think that were Amtrak to split the operations however, that they should still have one through sleeper and one through coach. This way people would not be forced to detrain with their luggage like they have to in Chicago. New Orleans isn't that busy like Chicago is, that they can't handle such an operation.

Amfleet said:
I had thought the Sunset was doing much better these days, under 1 hour late.
It currently is doing better. However, remember that the worst performances always come during the summer. Largely do to more track work when the weather is warmer and slow orders due to the heat.

I also suspect that David Gunn may also have a hand in the better time keeping. First he a no nonsense type of guy, so the freight RR's aren't going to be able to pull the wool over his eyes. Second, he's eliminating the freight on the back of the trains, something that the freight RR's have resented Amtrak pulling. Finally, he is inspiring Amtrak workers to do a better job and is trying to give them the tools that they need to do the job.

There's those who need to go from LAX to TLH to see mom. I'd have a fit if they knocked service west of NOL. I'd have to pay more $ to go up to CHI then down to ATL.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what city the Sunset is crewed out of?

tubaallen said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what city the Sunset is crewed out of?
Tubaallen,

I pretty sure that one crew is based out of LA. They run the leg from LAX to NOL. The second crew runs the leg from NOL to ORL. I'm not sure if they are based in NOL or Florida.

I've said it before, I will say it again...the Sunset Limited needs to be daily, it needs to have a respectable layover time in New Orleans, it needsto go all the way from Miami to LA and it needsto be reasonably on time.

As to the crew changes, the long distance trains across Canada have(or did have) a change of crews, even of sleeping car porters. When I took my trip 30 years ago the porter came through about halfway, somewhere, saying he had enjoyed having us as passengers, etc. that was his clue that he was to be given a tip, THEN, as opposed to us waiting until the end of the journey. We then tippedthe second porter at the end of the trip. Ihavean internet friend from Canada and I believe he told the same thing still happens in Canada.

As Alan B pointed out, daily operation shouldncrease business. How much business lost by three days a week nonsense? Plus,howmuch business has been lost due to the former chronic lateness?

Alan,

Are you sure it is crewed by two different crew bases? I mean, I understand that it is the longest route, but I still thought that all trains were crewed singly. I know you know your stuff, so I guess if you're pretty sure, I won't question it, but it just seemed surprising to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back