Autumn Excursion - when are you going?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What day do you plan on taking the ride?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think that if one gets there on the Keystone (9:10ish to 30th) that might be early enough to still be able to grab a window seat, or will one be stuck with the aisle seat? Will the aisle seat be still decent for this or not worth it?

I'm going to try and make it Saturday. The tickets go on sale roughly right around the time the door may or may not be closing on my flight to SFO. Hopefully I can sang a ticket before the door closes. Otherwise even with the on board wifi I fear that by the time we clear 10k feet and they turn on the IFE it may be too late :(

Wow, and I thought I was being a little paranoid about making sure I got my ticket right at 10:00. Good thing I did!! :ph34r:

I wanted to go on Saturday, but I have to work so I'm going on Sunday. Traveling into Philly on Saturday night and got a hotel. When does the line start to form for this anyway? I want to get on early enough to get a window seat.

I wanted to go on Saturday, but I have to work so I'm going on Sunday. Traveling into Philly on Saturday night and got a hotel. When does the line start to form for this anyway? I want to get on early enough to get a window seat.
When does the line form?

Well have you been by an Apple Store when they were bringing out the I-Phone-6? :p

Just kidding....not quite that bad, but some folks start lining up hours before departure. I lined up about an hour or so before last year, and I got a window seat...

Yes, and on both dates! I wonder if they were holding back some space for some reason, or added more cars?

Or perhaps some reservations cancelled for hold limits......? :huh:

That seems strange.....with all the time before the trip, that would be about the last thing that I would have imagined would limit capacity.....

It kind of reminds me of some airlines not permitting upgrades into first class at the last minute, on account of insufficient first class meals aboard....

Well whatever the reason that worked out nicely. Just got a ticket for Saturday. Hope to see some of you there.

Also how much padding would you add to a connection back toward NYP. I know it says it gets back at 6:00PM so would leaving around 7 be enough padding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Going on Saturday! It suddenly became much more practical when I realized I needed to be in New York City a day or two before...

Hmm, I should probably wear some sort of pin to identify myself. Maybe I'll wear my Doctor Who pin.

Well whatever the reason that worked out nicely. Just got a ticket for Saturday. Hope to see some of you there.

Also how much padding would you add to a connection back toward NYP. I know it says it gets back at 6:00PM so would leaving around 7 be enough padding?
I think last year they got back early, so there might be some padding in the schedule for the 6:00pm arrival time.

This thread has been quiet for a while, but with only one week to go, I wonder if there is any new information about the excursion?

OTOH, maybe "no news, is good news"..... :)

The NC Transportation Museum Fall Excursion Train arrived in Charlottesville at noon yesterday. I don't know how the trip was but when they detrained it was cold, blowy and raining! :-( There were county school busses on hand to ferry people to the downtown mall which is where many restaurants are. There were many more people than busses so lots of folks huddled under the bridge waiting for the busses to come back for them. They had a 3 hour layover before reboarding for the trip back.

I counted 13 heritage PVs, 1 Amfleet café car and at least 8 Amfleet coaches. I don't know how many engines as I didn't see the front of the train. They had to make 2 stops for people to get off on the platform and so blocked the diamond for about 20 minutes! It was really windy all night last night - I'm surprised there are leaves left on the trees.

Here's hoping you guys have much better weather!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back