Athearns Amd-103 Phase V

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Viewliner said:
xlr said:
I ordered this item back in May, so I really hope that they will ship soon.  I preordered on internettrains, and I just sent them an email asking if they're receiving them soon.  It would be nice if I could get it by Christmas, although that looks pretty doubtful.
Walthers Ships 'em to internet trains, they in turn ship it to you. It'd take what? ten days at the most?
Well we can only hope :) . It would be a very nice stocking stuffer..to myself.

Well I just heard back from internettrains, and they are getting them in next week! At long last. :D

xlr said:
Well I just heard back from internettrains, and they are getting them in next week! At long last. :D
Actually they've got 'em in stock, which means we'll be gettting them in the next week! :D

I'm hoping the number is 204 as they say and not 203 as Walthers Says, as I've had 204 on one of my trips.

This brings my Locomotive Fleet to 2 AEM-7's, 4 P-42's (2 Phase III, 2 Phase V) and 1 AEM-7 (NJ Transit). I want to also get HHP-8 #655 when Bachmann releases it.

I have the motive power, just gotta finish the consists, and get my new table, and convert to DCC.

I received my #134 Today!!!

I will give the first official review of this highly anticipated product.

Overall, the product is beautiful. Everything is the same from the first series except for a few minor differences, a one MAJOR difference. When you first receive the box that holds the engine, the packaging is very unique. It is in a "sandwich" type of holder.

The second, and biggest of the differences between the 2 series, is the ride height of the new locomotives. I did not notice it at first, but when I placed this engine side-by-side to my #184 from the first series, the difference in ride height is incredible. I was rather disappointed to be honest, as they do not look realistic at all running with each other. Another subtle difference is that the wheels that Walthers uses are a slightly darker shade then the first series, and sit further down from the wheel covers.

I will post a picture as soon as I get a new set of batteries for my digital camera.

The engine does run amazingly well!

:D

Here is the picture illustrating the height deferential:

1073581494483_PA050157.JPG

Ugh, that looks horrible. I was hoping it would be as accurate to the prototype as possible. Is it that noticeable just running on its own with some passenger cars? I've ordered the low-stripes from internettrains (still waiting for it to ship... <_< )

xlr said:
Ugh, that looks horrible. I was hoping it would be as accurate to the prototype as possible. Is it that noticeable just running on its own with some passenger cars? I've ordered the low-stripes from internettrains (still waiting for it to ship... <_< )
It looks great when running with just passenger cars.

However, I have been running the Engine a lot tonight and have found one more problem/difference.

It seems as if the engine is very light, especially when compared to the prototype. The wheels seem prone to slip a lot more easily then I anticipated. The prototype I have can pull my train with relative ease, while this engine struggles quite a bit with the same train :unsure: I hope I can find out someway to fix the problem, I had an idea to maybe add some additional weight, but I’m not sure how I plan to do this yet.

Athearn models can run inconsistant. I have 3 P-42 units (all Phase IV), each one is either slightly higher or lower than the other in height and the pulling power varies. I'm surprised though that your locomotive feels light? The only thing I can suggest is taking the tops off both units and comparing the motors to see if there are any differences. If there are report it to Athearn right away, they may suggest making some slight ajustments to the motor or send you a whole under body.

Amfleet said:
Athearn models can run inconsistant. I have 3 P-42 units (all Phase IV), each one is either slightly higher or lower than the other in height and the pulling power varies. I'm surprised though that your locomotive feels light? The only thing I can suggest is taking the tops off both units and comparing the motors to see if there are any differences. If there are report it to Athearn right away, they may suggest making some slight ajustments to the motor or send you a whole under body.
Well when I took the body off both units I found why. Quite Simply, the chassis, so to speak, is made of what seems like much lighter metal. It is even the color (the grayish color) of the engine itself.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Amfleet said:
Well when I took the body off both units I found why. Quite Simply, the chassis, so to speak, is made of what seems like much lighter metal. It is even the color (the grayish color) of the engine itself.
Interesting, they may just be trying to improove their product. I would e-mail Athearn, expalin your case and try to get the "improoved" chassie for your older model.

I used some holiday money to order #134. I got #204 today, but just my luck, it doesn't work. Its something with the engine, the light lights, but it doesn't move. I know this because my other Shamu, #184 fell off the table a while back and I had to get the engine realigned (something to the tune of that). Looks like I'll have to send #204 back and exchange it. :( <_<

I had the same exact problem with my #182 and #184. I was able to fix #184 simply by carefully removing the shell and pushing the engine back into the moldings, it had dislodged itself during shipment.

I just got my #204 today, as well. I didn't expect it to arrive until next week, so I was presently suprised. No higher-level issues, but I haven't had a chance to power it up yet. Sure looks nice.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I had the same exact problem with my #182 and #184. I was able to fix #184 simply by carefully removing the shell and pushing the engine back into the moldings, it had dislodged itself during shipment.
I'll try that after I call up internettrains, If they run out, then a repair will be the only option. Thanks for the advice, Amtrak-P42 :D

Viewliner said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
I'll try that after I call up internettrains, If they run out, then a repair will be the only option. Thanks for the advice, Amtrak-P42 :D
Anytime :) . I just hope you can get it up and running...Im still having problems with mine.

Viewliner said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Did you have any luck Viewliner?

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Viewliner said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Did you have any luck Viewliner?
Yep, got 204 at my house yesterday. It ran flawlessly. I got #134 a while ago, I had trouble with how it ran. It was struggling to move even at maximum power. So, I Picked it up and heard some thing loose in there, it turned out to be one of the driveshafts, meaning only 2 of the 4 axles had been moving the whole unit. I got the piece in place, and it ran pretty well. As it approached a curve, it fell off the table (the shell was not on it as I just put the driveshaft back in). Fortunately it still runs without problems. The cause of the derailment was shifting track that isn't nailed down. Its not nailed down because I'm getting a new table (although, that project is on hold for a certain reason).

Viewliner said:
So, I Picked it up and heard some thing loose in there, it turned out to be one of the driveshafts, meaning only 2 of the 4 axles had been moving the whole unit.
That sounds like the exact problem I had as well. Glad you got it working!

Well, just received a bit of good news, at least for me. Athearn is going to produce a #207 (my fav. engine) in the series. It will only come in a full set with track, transformer, and 3 superliners, but with luck im hoping someone will break up the set and sell the unit. :D

For those of you who have the model, can you measure the length of the word Amtrak on the side of the loco and on the nose? I'm looking to custom paint and decal this model. Any help will be greatly be appreciate it.

Back