Article: "What's Wrong With Amtrak"?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing railroad is an "essential" service in and of itself to many, I would go as far as saying providing remote rural areas with services should be one of the top considerations.

That is to say, if we have to choose between a line that serves many unique stations and a second frequency of an existing line, I would give considerable more consideration to the former.

And no, I personally do not live in a remote area.

Last edited by a moderator:
What airplane flights don't pay for their own operating costs?
You've seriously never heard of the federally subsidized Essential Air Service (EAS)? Budget of around $270-280 million per year.
I had not until I joined AU. ;) I agree with others that the small rural areas need Amtrak and airports as much, if not more than, the big cities.

It's also not unheard of for airports (or another government entity, whether city, county, state, etc) to subsidize or offer revenue guarantees for specific flights, sometimes smaller airports for flights to major hubs, sometimes larger airports for international flights.

Back