Argue me out of a trip on the Canadian, OK?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kat, thanks for the suggestion to take VIA Toronto-Windsor, bus or cab to Detroit, then Amtrak Detroit-Chicago. I have thought about that for quite some time, and I know it's doable, but on this trip I will be taking along not only the Mrs. but also possibly a new service dog. That'd be a handful. Better to swallow hard and fly Toronto-Chicago instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is good news about the Park Car. It was certainly something that had 'concerned' folks. VIA had originally said that certain events in the Park Car were going to be for Prestige Class only, but it seems they backed off on that threat.

BTW, #1 left Toronto at 9:00 this morning - 10 hours late! -after #2 arrived at 8:30 PM yesterday, 11 hours late!

Pulled the plug on the tickets—right now, through Oct. 16, VIA is offering 25 per cent off the standard Sleeper Plus class fare.

Here is how it broke down (figures rounded off)

Standard Sleeper Plus class for 2 seniors: $3005 CAN

Applying 25 per cent discount: $2320 CAN

Applying CAN to U.S. rate of exchange of 77 cents CAN$=US$1: $1750 US.

I bought when the rate was CAN $0.75 = US$1. The rate of exchange has gone up slightly to CAN $0.77.

This means the cost has gone from Godawful Expensive to Not Too Bad.

A comparable long-distance trip in a bedroom on the Empire Bulider (3 1/2 days, 4 nights, a round trip) on the same days would cost $2015 if booked now.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're in Car 210. Is that the first sleeper after the dining car in a short winter Canadian consist?

Back