April/May Issue of Amtrak Ink is nothing short of "interesting&#34

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allof this means nothing once the current boss leaves. The new boss will set his/her own new policies. So this holds until that happens :)

the fact that the Board is completely ignoring the incumbent's advice in selecting the new boss suggests that there are changes forthcoming that will remove some of the current boss' policies and replace them with something else. the Board at present is not looking for continuity without any change. And the new constitution of the Board will not be overloaded with NEC and Northeast types anymore either. So we'll see how things unfold.
jis--I really, really hope you are right, both about the changes and about the Board not being NEC-centric. There are a lot of good candidates, but I do not completely trust the Board or Amtrak to get it right--we will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeBas and jis--

I agree about the long lines (the Keystone one is ridiculous), but the redcaps solve that. They are happy to take anyone down early, even without luggage--I've done that and given them a couple of dollars. If I were a lot younger, I wouldn't--but at my age, I think it is justified. It is not really taking away from people who truly need the service, because they are taking the same elevator down, with as few or as many people as they have. Also, I make sure to be polite and let them take care of the people really in need of help on the platform first.

Ironically, both the Club Acela and the main part of the station in PHL are lovely, so you can't go wrong with either one! I have been known to get off SEPTA at 30th Street, get a salad (well, ok, sometimes a donut and coffee) in the food court, and go sit on a historic bench with it and just relax before heading on to Center City. :)
The best time for me to avoid any line was Last May when I was qualifying.. All I had to do was show my Head End Pass, or go down the opposite stairway. I was never stopped cause I would wear my work vest and work ID around my neck. People would get so annoyed when the staff would let me passed the ropes. I actually one time went to go down the stairway and before I could show my head end pass I asked if the train was "down there" and she asked "where you going"? To which I laughed and replied "the head end" and showed my Head End Pass. She laughed and said it was one of those days.

But as far as the food selection and the lounge goes.. Technically outside food and drink isn't allowed. But from my experience as long as you don't make a big mess and take care of your trash they don't mind. I've brought food from the old Mickey D's, the current Wendy's, Dunkin' Donuts, Auntie Anne's, and once brought something from the new Nathan's up. As long as I took care of my trash and left the area I eat as I found it, aka clean. They don't mind.

If I didn't have a lounge pass, the price of $20 is worth it at PHL for me.. Free Soda and Usually a Breakfast Snack or Chips and Pretzels. Quiet waiting area and fairly comfortable seating, with the elevators giving you direct access to 3 of the 5 platforms. Of course 2 of the 3 see trains every hour at least twice or more. The third goes to tracks 7&8 and is a luck of the draw with the Keystoners..

When the upgrades were originally made to the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight they drew passengers. You don't build a system by cutting, cutting, cutting. Plus i still contend that turning away large amounts of sleeper passengers by not running enough sleepers is part of the reason that long distance numbers are not good. I know its not exactly Amtrak's fault but much of their thinking tends to prevent passenger increases rather than encouraging them.
Amtrak management has certainly had a bad and customer-hostile attitude, particularly regarding the most basic things like providing information. You know, people actually expect reliable, accurate information nowadays. Maybe this is the "information society". Anyway, it should cost Amtrak $0.00 to fix the information problems, but it seems that some of the time, management can't be bothered to get up off their arses and do it. There is no reason whatsoever why they should not know what's in the food in the dining cars, but they act like it's impossible to find out. Aramark knows -- they could try asking Aramark.

Amtrak is going to have to face the fact that gas prices will remain low pretty much permanently; gasoline cars are going to be replaced with electric cars, which are even cheaper to operate. Trains must compete on service quality.

This ought to be *really really easy*, since a train is *inherently* a lot more pleasant than driving yourself in a cramped car on bad roads through heavy congested traffic. Every area with congested traffic *should* see trains remain popular; in New Jersey, Amtrak is probably still more attractive than driving and people are just driving to save money. That's a situation which will not cause permanent losses in ridership. In areas with "open road" like Iowa, driving might really get cheap and convenient enough to eat into ridership a lot, however, and that's probably just a structural fact.

Any train is also much more pleasant than the current TSA-induced "DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SEAT" nightmare of the skies. And Amtrak can be quite expensive and still be cheaper than a plane flight from a *small town*, since the airlines are trying to abandon small towns and are jacking the prices way up.

While Amtrak certainly gets service quality right some of the time, however, Amtrak is somehow screwing service quality up pretty regularly.

Part of this is illegal sabotage by the freight railroads; nobody likes to arrive late, and the illegal dispatching is causing late arrivals. (I just witnessed *yet another example* on CSX of a freight being run ahead of Amtrak rather than held for Amtrak. CP is successfully running Amtrak on time consistently as of last month. Maybe the other railroads should try doing the same instead of breaking the law.)

But a large part of it is Amtrak's infamous service inconsistency. Service inconsistency is fine when the baseline is good and employees occasionally do something extra for you, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back