Anyone Traveling California Zephyr in new Winter Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be on it in less than two weeks! The CZ was my first LD train. Will be nicer this time with a roomette.

Trains are back to normal beginning #5 2/25 out of CHI and #6 2/28 out of OAK, with crew cars and two coaches until April, when the CZ will get a third coach.

Consist:

2 motors

Bag car

Dorm

2 coaches

Lounge

Diner

2 sleepers
Apparently, this is a "premature" announcement. As of March 1 passing through Agency, Iowa per YOUTUBE videos the consists remains 2 motors, baggage, coach/baggage, coach SSL, Diner, and 2 sleepers. This is the "winter consist" same as I rode on January 24. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHqsHYH0c10 This would be the 6(28) passing through Agency Iowa March 1.

Apparently, this is a "premature" announcement. As of March 1 passing through Agency, Iowa per YOUTUBE videos the consists remains 2 motors, baggage, coach/baggage, coach SSL, Diner, and 2 sleepers. This is the "winter consist" same as I rode on January 24. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHqsHYH0c10 This would be the 6(28) passing through Agency Iowa March 1.
The train that came through Iowa on March 1 was #6(27). #6(28) did have the transition dormitory back when it came though yesterday, just a bit behind the smoking section.

Agree!

Last week we had the 165 as the second engine travelling west from CHI to SFC, when on a platform and the wind in the wrong direction it was horrible. Didn't go any further forward than the viewing car and have to write there was no hint of diesel inside.

Is the baggage area in the coach/baggage not big enough to handle the baggage from only 3 revenue cars? With all I've heard about the heritage bags falling to pieces if you look at them funny, I'd think that they'd take this opportunity to ditch the baggage car if they possibly could.

I wonder if use of the coach/baggage car is more about rotating regular coach cars through the shop for maintenance than for actually hauling baggage.

I also wonder if part of the reason the Heritage baggage car is still there is to provide a noise/diesel fumes buffer zone between the locos and the revenue cars.

I wonder if the same logic is part of the reason for the location of the Transition sleeper in the consist.

I wonder if use of the coach/baggage car is more about rotating regular coach cars through the shop for maintenance than for actually hauling baggage.

I also wonder if part of the reason the Heritage baggage car is still there is to provide a noise/diesel fumes buffer zone between the locos and the revenue cars.

I wonder if the same logic is part of the reason for the location of the Transition sleeper in the consist.
The Heritage baggage cars have not been used for "baggage" at all during the Winter consist time. All baggage has been hauled in the coach baggage car. Initially, the Winter consist was to be minus the baggage car and the transition crew dorm car but apparently it was decided to use the baggage car as a "separator".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back