Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Table Cloth? The Cap and the LSL hasn't had any Table Cloth for a while now. Table Paper? Yes. Table Cloth? No.
default_wink.png

Table Cloth? The Cap and the LSL hasn't had any Table Cloth for a while now. Table Paper? Yes. Table Cloth? No.
default_wink.png
True, though all the other ViewDiners do use tablecloths. And either way, I'd take table paper over table air anytime.
default_tongue.png

The last time I rode the crescent it was just paper on the table, but they did have a silk flower in case on each table!

I thought they pretty much did away with Table Cloth during the Boardman Flower Vase massacre. I know some trains on occasion do have Flowers showing up, but has Table Cloth shown up anywhere since then?

I thought they pretty much did away with Table Cloth during the Boardman Flower Vase massacre. I know some trains on occasion do have Flowers showing up, but has Table Cloth shown up anywhere since then?
I would have sworn that they had tablecloths when I last rode the Meteor (January).

When Amtrak put out requests for bids on providing the boxed meals, they submitted specifications for each. The catering companies, when submitting their bid have to look at the length of the contract for making their purchases, estimated numbers per day, if they deliver to Commissary or direct to the train. How many people will be involved to cook and prepare and package each box. Will different refrigeration equipment be required for transportation. what if access to the train is delayed? so the actual cost of the raw materials is minimal, because the labor cost is what drives final pricing. The catering company has purchasing people, the Chef who coordinates the cooking operation, the people doing the prep work, the people assembling the boxes, Someone is in charge of the transportation which is getting the 100 plus boxes in containers to keep at the correct temperature from the Catering cooler to the train. There is the truck and all its costs. Many of the costs would be less per box if there were more boxes ordered and if the catering company knew this was not a short term contract. $40/box is very reasonable in the catering business. Yes, if we were making a couple boxes ourselves we could in theory do it cheaper, but we forget our time involved, our car, our gas, our kitchen equipment, etc.

I had it last year on one trip, but am in brain lock (must be the thin air here) and don't remember which one. Even seen flowers recently. Maybe from the crew.
There was a period when they suggested that they'd bring it back to the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder. I don;t know what came of it. never heard a rumor about such on any Eastern trains though.

A thought I just had: Once the LSL is running to NYP again, and the Sleeper Lounge will presumably be in the NYP section, will Boston sleeper passengers once again be offered a hot boxed meal from the cafe?

Originally, I was mortified by these changes, and wanted to raise hell with my congressman, but now I am really intothe changes. The ammentity kits look very promising and high end. The food actually is trendy and modern, perfect for the trendy CL and LSL routes. I am sure they will roll out warm options as soon as the kinks are worked out. Originally I thought these changes were meant to run it into the ground, but now it seems actually more comparable to LH buisness class. The ammenity kit was deffinitly the biggest sign that there was no plans to scrap the route. I think we need to embrace these changes and support a more modern Amtrak future.

Originally, I was mortified by these changes, and wanted to raise hell with my congressman, but now I am really intothe changes. The ammentity kits look very promising and high end. The food actually is trendy and modern, perfect for the trendy CL and LSL routes. I am sure they will roll out warm options as soon as the kinks are worked out. Originally I thought these changes were meant to run it into the ground, but now it seems actually more comparable to LH buisness class. The ammenity kit was deffinitly the biggest sign that there was no plans to scrap the route. I think we need to embrace these changes and support a more modern Amtrak future.
Did you ride these trains before the changes?

Honestly, this post has a bit of a corporate feel to it. But if I am wrong, welcome to AU!

I'm sorry, have you actually flown Lufthansa Business Class? Or even an American carrier's First class?

They aren't even in the same ballpark now.

First off, pretty much all airlines, despite being at 30k feet, manage to serve hot food. All airlines serve complimentary beverages (both alc and non-alc) -- even in long haul coach. None of this one-drink nonsense. Finally, Airlines aren't holding you captive for nearly as long. The LSL is nearly 20 hours long, there isn't a flight in the world that runs that long.

Did you ride these trains before the changes? Honestly, this post has a bit of a corporate feel to it. But if I am wrong, welcome to AU!
I noticed that as well. This first time poster goes from suspicious and "mortified" to happy and supportive in the span of a single sentence. He then quickly hits upon several bullet points about "high end" amenities and "modern" dining on Amtrak's most "trendy" trains and promises "warm" (but not hot) food is just around the corner. He then repeats his vague reference to a sudden change of heart over what is in reality a pretty basic amenity kit before imploring everyone to rally behind these changes with proud enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back