Amtrak's iPhone App.. Some Stats from the App Store

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
Since I can't sleep. I figured I would do some research on the iPhone App that Amtrak has.

In the travel category. It ranks 8th. 3 Airlines United, American, and Delta are 4,5, and 7. All of these offer eTickets on your iPhone. 2 of the 3 in Passbook. Being United and American.

It's hard to get actual numbers on how many times it's been downloaded. I'm sure Apple and Amtrak has those numbers.

The app is ahead of Southwest Airlines. I looked at SWA app. There is a headline that says "Due to Apple's iOS 6 We've Made Upgrades" I had this app for a little bit so my ex-girlfriend could check in for her flights on my phone. I had looked at the screenshots. The app looks like an App from 2008. They don't offer eTickets on their app.

Needless to say, Amtrak is competitive in the App Store. They have the ability for riders to display eTickets on their iPhones. Their last update provided passengers the ability to shift their eTickets to Passbook. One can imagine what Amtrak has in store for their app in the future. But let's all hope it stays in the Top 10 for years to come! :)

Used it both using the e-ticket in the App and transferring it into Passbook. Both scanned perfectly, no questions asked!

I'm glad I can avoid having to go to the station early to have to print out paper tickets and keep them all in order for most trips... easy to make changes or cancel from the App as well. I'm glad Amtrak got on board the App wagon as it really is quite helpful for most common reservations, on my Unreserved, Reserved, and Sleeper trips.

Only problem scanning was a scanner on the bus due to the angle of the scanner and the sunlight reflecting off the screen but we were able to look up the reservation I just made literally minutes prior to boarding by last name. Thank goodness for Amtrak cell reception and frequent updates :)

I love the app, so far I have made 2 purchases for tickets/rooms. One was for our escape from DC on Sunday evening before Sandy. Sitting in the National Museum of the American Indian on Saturday I was able to purchase the tickets and room. Great app, really easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back