Amtrak Plans Additional Train Service after I-5 bridge collapse

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horizontal sign = speed limit nowTilted sign = upcoming speed limit
Somewhat of an extrapolation of the old semaphore signal system:Blade vertical = clear, may run at full speed

Blade at 45 degrees = approach, expect to have to stop or take siding or otherwise move at a low speed at a point ahead

Blate horizontal = stop, equivalent to this is the condition for right here and now.

the extra cascades run has ended with the opening of the temporary bridge. the extra run seemed like a useless boondoggle from the start to me. poor scheduling, abysmal ridership, an idea that could in no way have helped the traffic congestion. kind of a black eye for passenger rail, imho

the extra cascades run has ended with the opening of the temporary bridge. the extra run seemed like a useless boondoggle from the start to me. poor scheduling, abysmal ridership, an idea that could in no way have helped the traffic congestion. kind of a black eye for passenger rail, imho
Yes, it would seem the last of these extra trains is the one that left Bellingham southbound a few minutes ago.

It would certainly be interesting (and I imagine cringe-worthy) to see the ridership stats for these extra trains.

I still can't believe they ran the n/b train less than an hour after the existing n/b Cascades departure. But hopefully

a few folks tried out the service, had a good ride, and might consider the train next time. In the grand scheme of

things, the money lost on these extra trains will pale in comparison to the cost of fixing the I-5 bridge that collapsed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The highway bridge is actually scheduled to reopen tomorrow (Wednesday).

Skagit River bridge on I-5 to reopen Wednesday
MOUNT VERNON -- The Skagit River bridge on I-5 is slated to reopen Wednesday with slower speeds for vehicles and a ban on trucks hauling excessively large cargo like the one which caused it to crumble into the water.

A temporary four-lane span will open without fanfare just shy of a month after a semi-truck carrying an oversized load struck several of the bridge's overhead trusses, causing a 160-foot section to fall into the river.
Gov. Jay Inslee visited the site Tuesday as workers paved and prepared to stripe the roadway, a major artery for commuters and commerce that carries an average of 71,000 vehicles a day.

There will be some new rules when the bridge reopens.

The maximum speed will be 40 miles per hour, down from the 60 mph limit in effect before the collapse. That's because each of the four temporary lanes will be 11 feet wide, which is about a foot narrower than those on the section that fell into the water.

Nearly all cars, commercial vehicles and big rigs carrying legal loads allowed on the bridge before will be able to use it again, transportation officials said.

Indeed, the extra train does seem to be running today but has been removed from Amtrak's booking engine for tomorrow.

Nice they have it running an "extra" day for those who booked it already. The highway reopened just before dawn this

morning. Other than a reduced speed limit of 40 mph over the bridge, the inconveniences for motorists are now over.

(At least, until the actual long-term replacement project gets underway, but I'd imagine they'll keep the highway open

for that, too.)

All Aboard Washington shared Tom Taylor's photo.

Tom Taylor says "Amtrak #515 rolls across the Skagit River, southbound to Seattle and into the history books. This train was initiated to help with the I-5 bridge collapse over the Skagit River in Mt. Vernon, WA, while traffic was so badly snarled. 71000 vehicles had to detour through town. It seemed like they were all trucks navigating through four square corners, through 11 lights, and two lane compressions. Thanks to Amtrak, WSDOT, Sound Transit, and BNSF for providing this train. The bridge opened today."
8541_10153001723170565_1277573204_n.jpg

I wondered from the start why it was a morning nb and an afternoon sb. I realize there was probably technical reasons for that, but it would seem to me that this would be the reverse direction of most of the demand. And it doesn't make much sense to me to run it anyway, if you can't get a slot with a desirable timing. If it was for publicity only, a publicity train with no passengers ends up being bad publicity - and a deterrent to future service expansions on the line...

AMTK 512 & 515SEA-BEL BEL-SEA

May 31, 2013- June18, 2013
Um, was this meant to be a message for a tombstone? :p

Proposed eulogy:

"AMTK 512 & 515 did not spend much time on this planet, but the lives they touched were

innumerable. Well, actually, the number of lives it touched was numerable...a depressingly

small number. But the two trains (briefly) warmed the hearts of railfans and photographers

everywhere. Well, not everywhere, just along a certain section of track in northwest Washington.

Come to think of it, let's say 'Good Riddance' to these two mostly useless trains. May they

rest in peace, and may they live a better future life ferrying commuters in the south Puget

Sound...at least, until the next round of mudslides causes a bustitution."

AMTK 512 & 515SEA-BEL BEL-SEA

May 31, 2013- June18, 2013
Um, was this meant to be a message for a tombstone? :p

Proposed eulogy:

"AMTK 512 & 515 did not spend much time on this planet, but the lives they touched were

innumerable. Well, actually, the number of lives it touched was numerable...a depressingly

small number. But the two trains (briefly) warmed the hearts of railfans and photographers

everywhere. Well, not everywhere, just along a certain section of track in northwest Washington.

Come to think of it, let's say 'Good Riddance' to these two mostly useless trains. May they

rest in peace, and may they live a better future life ferrying commuters in the south Puget

Sound...at least, until the next round of mudslides causes a bustitution."
excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back