Amtrak. PHL-DEN The new Orient Express???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The real question is: is the recent drop in ridership just a blip or a new trend. When the subject comes up everyone refers to the law of supply and demand; and the consensus seems to be that the drop in demand is due to gas prices.
Anyone's guest if it's a blip or new trend. While gas prices may impact your number of trips, crowd highway are still a issue.

Is it possible that Amtrak revenue managers forgot that the law of supply and demand works both ways and suffer from that all too typical lack of an historical view, thinking that what goes up doesn't go down and vice versa. The law of supply and demand says prices rise when demand rises; but also says lower demand follow rising prices and reduced amenities.
I am sure any revenue manager understands supply and demand. However a cash shortage is driving the issue. A high ranking manager (non-revenue) stated lowering price would only make the cash flow issue worse.

I've noticed on the routes I've following that even during low season, Amtrak has been posting high room prices and then reducing them. This has to turn away some of those who believe the old mantra of book early to get the lowest price.
The high bucket price at 11 months, is spreading to all routes. Takes care of the travel agents who book in bulk for resale later, and the once a life time travelers coming from overseas.

Cause and effect. 6 months out is the sweet spot.

No I don't like it, but travel in Europe, only recently you could book a sleeper longer than 90 days out.

What is the factual basis for this statement? Have you conducted a study and determined that all sleeper space on the mentioned trains is always sold out? From my checking on the Amtrak website yesterday there is still a good amount of space available on our chosen dates.

My statement was: IF it (the price increases) keep going like this, Amtrak is going to price themselves out of the market. Is the price I mentioned affordable to yourself? Unless you are affluent, you probably won't pay this price either.
You've been singing the same tired tune for the 7 years you've been a member here. Over those 7 years, ridership and revenue have steadily increased. You also still seem to be riding.

Maybe this will be the year that you're finally correct! A stopped clock is correct twice a day, after all...
There is truth to your statement but we often struggle with the value question. Over the past several years,you must admit that there have been some hefty fare increases but when you couple this with the readjustment of the AGR program, it presents an entirely new picture. Our trips have been taken with points and purchases so if we opted for a expensive LD trip , we were able to travel one way on points. This years LD trip to DEN was booked this way using the old AGR system. Now with fares rising again and the devaluation of AGR points; it seems to be pressing this Amtrak passenger a bit too hard. No question it is supply and demand that is driving the equation but my guess is that management decided to keep raising fares to see where the falloff threshold is. With the drop in ridership we might be at this point Time will tell.

On a more positive note.I just noticed that the sleeper passenger dining car menu was just reinstated on the Autotrain. Can anyone explain this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back