amtrak horizon coaches

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem is the stairs that are on the outside of the body... exposed to the elements and everything. They run that equipment from here (Milwaukee) to Chicago and they have to clean off the stairs everytime at every stop from the snow and ice and they are still often very slick. I say ship the equipment to the west coast or south or something and use bi-levels up here in the Midwest. There are no real stairs outside the Superliners and would be a lot better to use on the routes here.
Whatever became of the bi-level Gallery Coaches Amtrak used to run in the Midwest? I know there are "newer" models of those and they do just fine on METRA and I would think with Amtrak style seats and a Business Class and Lounge area they could work on the Midwest routes.

The biggest problem is the stairs that are on the outside of the body... exposed to the elements and everything. They run that equipment from here (Milwaukee) to Chicago and they have to clean off the stairs everytime at every stop from the snow and ice and they are still often very slick. I say ship the equipment to the west coast or south or something and use bi-levels up here in the Midwest. There are no real stairs outside the Superliners and would be a lot better to use on the routes here.
Whatever became of the bi-level Gallery Coaches Amtrak used to run in the Midwest? I know there are "newer" models of those and they do just fine on METRA and I would think with Amtrak style seats and a Business Class and Lounge area they could work on the Midwest routes.

Amtrak did used to run a few ex C&NW cars for a little while until the Horizons came. The new cars that plan to be bought are Surfliner style, rather than a gallery car.

New gallery type cars would be a mistake for Amtrak, as they could not operate with Superliner or Surfliner cars. They could operate with single level cars, but then their excess height would preclude them from running to New York.

They make more sense then NJT-style bi-levels, though.
I've never been inside a NJT bi-level. I've read here that luggage storage would be a problem with them but much less so with a gallery car. The ones I rode many years ago appeared to have plenty of luggage storage, for both levels, in the open racks over the aisle. The upper level on the gallery car was a bit cramped with the single seating and narrow aisle. I was alot smaller then too.

I never have seen the inside of an Amtrak Gallery Car but am assuming they replaced the walk-over seats with seating more typical of an Amtrak Coach. I haven't been able to find any interior pics; so does anyone have any to share or even recollections of riding in the Amtrak versions (I have done many, many miles on METRA and C&NW ones).

I never have seen the inside of an Amtrak Gallery Car but am assuming they replaced the walk-over seats with seating more typical of an Amtrak Coach. I haven't been able to find any interior pics; so does anyone have any to share or even recollections of riding in the Amtrak versions (I have done many, many miles on METRA and C&NW ones).
I can't recall the specific type of coach seats in the gallery cars but they were not the vinyl walkover type. They were separate seats that reclined and had foot rests. The upstairs seats were the same just one on each side separated by the railing and the view to the first level. The upper level seats were raised a bit, similar to the step up in a slumbercoach. I believe these were the cars that CNW used for its Flambeau trains to WI. Back in the day, CNW raised the roofline of a standard diner to match the roof level of the gallery cars. There is a book, "Route of the 400's", that has numerous interior pictures.

The long distance gallery cars didn't have the heavy green tint to the windows that the commuter cars did. I remember boarding the Capitol Ltd. in the late

B & O years after it was moved to the CNW station. The Cap was parked next to a commuter train and I thought how different the green glass looked. The bustle of a commuter train boarding was in stark contrast to the boarding of the long distance Cap.

Going back to your original question referring to Amtrak gallery cars. The cars I rode in were still in CNW paint just after the start up of Amtrak so I assume I'm describing the CNW version and not the Amtrak one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones Amtrak acquired from the C&NW were built as long-distance cars with reclining seats....2x2 on main level, and 1x2 on upper level. There was even a dinette car.

who though it was a good idea to add green tint to train windows anyways? Never been a fan of that one...
Bill or one of the other equipment experts from the old days can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember tinted windows on the old day coaches back in the late 40s and early 50s when I rode the SP and Mopac and Katy trains alot.Not sure about the pullman cars, it was rare for me to ride them?

I would venture a guess that this started in the SW where it's so very hot in the summer, I remember being in Phoenix in the early days and cars had tinted windows there,it might have started in SoCal too since they start most of the trends! :lol:

Personally I like it, especially on the Superliner lounges since the greenhouse effect is very strong down this way!I have heard it causes problems with pics and videos but this just could be rumour? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
who though it was a good idea to add green tint to train windows anyways? Never been a fan of that one...
I believe it was done as a way to cut maintenance costs.....much cheaper to spend a little more for tinted windows, than to have to clean and repair window shades. Pro's and Con's for tinting...cuts glare but doesn't block entire view....makes photo's come out poorly....etc.

I believe it was done as a way to cut maintenance costs.....much cheaper to spend a little more for tinted windows, than to have to clean and repair window shades. Pro's and Con's for tinting...cuts glare but doesn't block entire view....makes photo's come out poorly....etc.
Tinted windows became a norm in air conditioned cars because the windows are the major source of heat in summer.

without the tinted windows the air conditioning systems even if running at 100% could not keep up.

Even with todays AC systems either tinted or like in Europe reflective windows are used.

Yeah, but we were referring, I think, to the massively green tinted windows of the Metra coaches as opposed to the less tinted coaches back east.

Yeah, but we were referring, I think, to the massively green tinted windows of the Metra coaches as opposed to the less tinted coaches back east.
I'm sure if it's green, GML has no problem with it, no matter the degree of tint or the reason for it. :D

Yes that is correct GML... my word people I understand the logic of "tinting windows" I was speaking of the GREEN tint that Metra cars have, why would they tint train windows green is my question.

I've heard of looking through the world through ROSE colored glass but green? what does that mean? haha.

Yes that is correct GML... my word people I understand the logic of "tinting windows" I was speaking of the GREEN tint that Metra cars have, why would they tint train windows green is my question.

I've heard of looking through the world through ROSE colored glass but green? what does that mean? haha.
Well MNCR and Amtrak cars had green tinting too, lately new cars have more of a smoked tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back