amtrak GE dash 8s

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should be used as road locos more than switchers.
It's my understanding that the crews don't like them and that they don't ride well at speed.
What are the problems with them? That could, perhaps, use modifications?
CCC 1007 has it right, POOR ride quality. The engineers dislike them.
1000 horsepower less. That's why this engineer dislikes them. They ride fine. Just takes forever to get to speed.

It's my understanding that the crews don't like them and that they don't ride well at speed.
1000 horsepower less. That's why this engineer dislikes them. They ride fine. Just takes forever to get to speed.
So, it's basically acceleration that doesn't satisfy the engineers, eh?

So, it's basically acceleration that doesn't satisfy the engineers, eh?
As well as being better suited to switching than the genesis shell locomotives, and being older than the P42.

I really wish I would have gotten a picture, since I thought it was strange to see a dash 8 on the CL. I went to take a picture with my phone, but the battery was too low

Why?
Because think of other Class I railroads such as CSX using GEVO's and AC4400's or C40-8W's or any widecab locos as switchers! Lol

Besides, I think the Amtrak Dash 8's were designed specifically for road service.
The CSX A715, A712 and Q461 road switcher jobs out here on the Georgia Subdivision typically use road power, and other than 461, are primarily semi-local switch jobs. 461 is the Atlanta-Augusta manifest, but still does a fair bit of switching along the way. The true locals, A758 and A752 do still tend to use Geeps, Geep slugs, and "chop-nose" SD units around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back