Amtrak Excursion in the works? Follow up to the Amtrak Autumn Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Management clearly made the correct decision in raising the price almost 50%. The decision to run the excursion and raise the prices are definitely more like 'running a business.' There are quite a few encouraging moves lately, e.g., putting the second sleeper on the Cardinal as long as possible and almost doubling sleeper revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, the answer is that $129 per adult is not too expensive for the market for a once a year special fall excursion train. Be curious how many seats they sold for each train. As for those who missed buying a ticket, there is the possibility that Amtrak might add additional coach cars now that they have confirmed demand at the higher price.

So if they can sell out in hours an Autumn Express at $129 a head, what is the price going to be next year? $149? Could keep jacking the price up each year until they determine what the market will bear.

The answer is Yes and they will!!

Imagine what they could have charged for "Premium" Seats if Ocean View was in the consist!!

"Build it and they will come!"

Yep, the answer is that $129 per adult is not too expensive for the market for a once a year special fall excursion train. Be curious how many seats they sold for each train. As for those who missed buying a ticket, there is the possibility that Amtrak might add additional coach cars now that they have confirmed demand at the higher price.

So if they can sell out in hours an Autumn Express at $129 a head, what is the price going to be next year? $149? Could keep jacking the price up each year until they determine what the market will bear.
Not just an Autumn Express, two different trains that were sold out within 2.5 hours! The Saturday one sold out only after 25 minutes! Although I will say I have seen spots open up and then get taken, so if you still want to go, keep checking regularly.

That's what happened to me....I could not get to my smartphone until about 10;15. Then when I asked for the trip, it showed "one seat left". I tried to 'add it to my cart', but I got some kind of error message. I have never booked anything on my phone before, so I was not familiar with the process. I called 'Julie' for assistance, and she said: "Sorry, Saturday's train is sold out...would you like to go Sunday?

'I said yes, I was disappointed to miss out on Saturday so soon, but would rather go Sunday, then not at all. So she booked me, and told me I had until the 16th of October to pay for it. She said I could keep trying and see if there were any cancellation's for Saturday's trip, and then change it, before paying.

She said she would try it for me one more time, and lo and behold....a seat just became available, which she snagged for me. I then immediately gave her my credit card payment.

I wonder if the seat I had tried to book on my phone became available after I gave up trying......if so, what luck!

So.....since many have not made payment yet....those of you wanting to go keep on trying. As the NY lottery ads say...Hey, you never know........ :)

If they raise it next year by the same percentage as they did this year, it will cost $187 next year.... Wonder how long it will take to sell out? This year's sold out much faster than last year's, but perhaps it was because more people were aware of it....

I was (ahem) riding Amtrak with no access to a computer when sales opened, so I guess I won't be going either.

I think they planned it for when AUers were on trains on the way to the gathering to give mere mortals an opportunity to ride it. :giggle:

I'm kind of a newbie here, but I was happy to snag a ticket on this. I have to work till 1 on the 8th, then I'm catching the Northeast Regional out of NYP. I have a hotel booked for that night (Geno's for dinner!), then the Express on the 9th. I guess I'll be home by about midnight. I think I'm getting hooked on the train travel. I was on the CZ and the CL back in September, a total of 16 hours late between the the two of them, but I really enjoyed the whole experience! I have a question though for any of you experts. On a trip like this, once you get your seat, do you lose it if you move around the train? It's different on the long distance trips, especially if you have a roomette, and you can wander all over. And taking the Regional or Acela is not an issue. But on an excursion like this, which I have never taken, if I get up to use the john for example and I have a window seat, will I lose it by the time I get back? Sorry if the question seems silly, but like I said I'm a newbie. :)

Nothing to worry about.

Pat's is better. But a real Philadelphian, like this guy knows that Pat's and Geno's are actually terrible Cheesesteaks. A good Cheesesteak in Philly is Jim's on South Street and Tony Luke's on Oregon Ave.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I'm kind of a newbie here, but I was happy to snag a ticket on this. I have to work till 1 on the 8th, then I'm catching the Northeast Regional out of NYP. I have a hotel booked for that night (Geno's for dinner!), then the Express on the 9th. I guess I'll be home by about midnight. I think I'm getting hooked on the train travel. I was on the CZ and the CL back in September, a total of 16 hours late between the the two of them, but I really enjoyed the whole experience! I have a question though for any of you experts. On a trip like this, once you get your seat, do you lose it if you move around the train? It's different on the long distance trips, especially if you have a roomette, and you can wander all over. And taking the Regional or Acela is not an issue. But on an excursion like this, which I have never taken, if I get up to use the john for example and I have a window seat, will I lose it by the time I get back? Sorry if the question seems silly, but like I said I'm a newbie. :)
Welcome to AU!

The Excursion train is more like a tour than a scheduled train, as there are no intermediate station stops.....so once you claim a seat, it is 'yours' for the entire trip. If you go to the restroom, or the cafe car, just leave a jacket or sweater, or something in your seat. Or you can simply mention to your seatmate that you'll be back soon....

Nothing to worry about.

Pat's is better. But a real Philadelphian, like this guy knows that Pat's and Geno's are actually terrible Cheesesteaks. A good Cheesesteak in Philly is Jim's on South Street and Tony Luke's on Oregon Ave.

Welcome to AU!
The Excursion train is more like a tour than a scheduled train, as there are no intermediate station stops.....so once you claim a seat, it is 'yours' for the entire trip. If you go to the restroom, or the cafe car, just leave a jacket or sweater, or something in your seat. Or you can simply mention to your seatmate that you'll be back soon....
Thanks to both of you for your expertise on seat protocol and cheesesteak! :)

Nothing to worry about.

My favorite is Tony Luke's. I would rather eat Pats than Jims or Genos.

Speaking of the seating on the excursion....last year I went straight to the head car when boarding, and discovered after the trip that most of the AUer's were back several cars...so I missed the opportunity to meet some of you folks....

Any plans to meet on board this year's train? Somewhere in the station beforehand?

Last year after driving down, and taking the PATCO from the Woodcrest Station, I walked over to 30th Street and just grabbed a coffee and roll in the station before joining the 'queue'.......

Nothing to worry about.

My favorite is Tony Luke's. I would rather eat Pats than Jims or Genos.
Tony Luke's is one of the best.. If not the best. Pat's and Geno's are nothing but a media sensation.. Jim's has good steaks. Almost everyone in Philly agrees that Pat's and Geno's are a joke of a cheesesteak.

Speaking of the seating on the excursion....last year I went straight to the head car when boarding, and discovered after the trip that most of the AUer's were back several cars...so I missed the opportunity to meet some of you folks....

Any plans to meet on board this year's train? Somewhere in the station beforehand?

Last year after driving down, and taking the PATCO from the Woodcrest Station, I walked over to 30th Street and just grabbed a coffee and roll in the station before joining the 'queue'.......
Sure, I'm game if anybody else is. We could have a kind of meet and greet over coffee or whatever. Sounds like fun! I'm taking the train on Sunday. We need to figure out who's going when...

If you want access to a really good Philly cheesesteak with easy accessibility to and from 30th Street, Campo's at 2nd and Market is a great choice. It is just a little corner store deli, but is considered to have among the better cheesesteaks in the city. It was chosen as a cheesesteak vendor at Citizens Bank Park.

Campo's is right at a subway station, which is an advantage for those without a car. From 30th Street take the SEPTA Market-Frankford line east from 30th Street to 2nd Street.

Sure, I'm game if anybody else is. We could have a kind of meet and greet over coffee or whatever. Sounds like fun! I'm taking the train on Sunday. We need to figure out who's going when...
I'm going Saturday....

By the way, I like your signature...."getting there is half the fun".....I agree, and add...."coming back is the other half".... ;)

FYI...

Amtrak has bumped the return time for the trip on the 8th from 6pm to 7pm. No other explanation given so far. I kinda wished they were able to do this trip before DST ended, but hey, beggers can't be choosers.

wow -- really? I got the new tickets and wondered what had changed. I didn't notice the 7PM change.

Hmmm... Keystone 669 bound for Lancaster leaves at 6:55 -- I guess they will honor those tickets for the last train of the night at 9:45pm.

I don't expect they would hold Keystone 669 if the AXP is coming in around that time would they? So could be a long wait in 30th that night if the 7PM revised time is accurate.

I expect there are lots of people booked on 669 at 6:55pm that evening!

I just hope the morning train (660) isn't late. We took 660 the other weekend and it didn't get into PHL until 9:35 (30 mins late) -- would be an expensive delay for me (4 tix on AXP).

Hmmm... Keystone 669 bound for Lancaster leaves at 6:55 -- I guess they will honor those tickets for the last train of the night at 9:45pm.
Yes - Keystones are unreserved all year EXCEPT for Thanksgiving period, which means that you can use your ticket within one year of the posted travel date on any train. The only other catch is the off-peak and on-peak thing. Off-peak tickets will not be valid on Fridays and Sunday on departures between 9am and 6:59pm as well as some other dates when the holiday is on Monday etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back