Amtrak, Ebola and You

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sort of hoping people start avoiding airplanes, if only so I can pay those rock bottom prices like I did when everyone was freaking out after 9/11. It would be nice to be on a flight with a bunch of people who aren't going to wave torches and pitchforks just because someone gets airsick.
I was through DFW twice this week. The flights were packed.

By the way, I saw one person wearing a mask at DFW. Ebola is not airborne.

I'm sort of hoping people start avoiding airplanes, if only so I can pay those rock bottom prices like I did when everyone was freaking out after 9/11. It would be nice to be on a flight with a bunch of people who aren't going to wave torches and pitchforks just because someone gets airsick.

Well, rats. There goes my idea for a cheap flight to Vegas. ;)

I've seen a few masks during the winter, but it's usually because of the flu and/or because someone is immuno-compromised. I really hope that was the case instead of it being someone falling prey to the "airborne" myth.

Yeah I did not see much concern at all. All flights that I was one were totally packed, like not a single free seat kinda packed. So this whole theory about plunging ridership is just someone's fantasy at present.

One of my favorite quotes:

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

It's from Men in Black explaining why the fact that there are aliens living among us was being kept a secret from the populous. By the way, that movie is based on a true story, isn't it? :p

En lieu of flying or taking the train one can always drive instead and have a much higher risk of dying in a highway accident. If it makes them feel safer, of course.

En lieu of flying or taking the train one can always drive instead and have a much higher risk of dying in a highway accident. If it makes them feel safer, of course.
Ding. We have our winner.

Well I'm about to arrive at ground zero on 21 today. Then tomorrow I'm going to ride DART from the new DFW station. Then FLY out of Love Field. Wish me luck! In fact, I'll probably fly 6 or 8 more times this month!

How many people in the US have been infected with Ebola? Something like 3 or 4? I don't watch cable entertainment news, so I don't really know.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2014/10/19/greyhound-amtrak-station-closed-temporarily-over-ebola-scare/17578181/

Greyhound/AMTRAK station closed temporarily over Ebola scareAn Ebola scare shut down the AMTRAK and Greyhound station at 300 West Capitol Street on Sunday.

According to social media, around 6:30 a.m. the station was closed because a man came in on a bus from Dallas. According to reports, he was vomiting and showing flu-like symptoms.

He was transported to the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Officials with UMMC said a patient was brought in with those symptoms, but he was interviewed, tested, and cleared.

No one was answering the phone at the station as of around 3:45 p.m. Sunday.

Well I'm about to arrive at ground zero on 21 today. Then tomorrow I'm going to ride DART from the new DFW station. Then FLY out of Love Field. Wish me luck! In fact, I'll probably fly 6 or 8 more times this month!

How many people in the US have been infected with Ebola? Something like 3 or 4? I don't watch cable entertainment news, so I don't really know.
2 infected in the US. The rest arrived pre-infected. The only fatality has been of one of the pre-infected arrivals.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/us/ebola-us-list/index.html

Incidentally, in Nigeria, which aggressively deployed techniques used in the eradication of Polio and contained and eradicated Ebola from a total of 19 cases, 7 of whom died and the rest recovered, the fatality rate is only 40%. Incidentally all the cases were traced back to a Liberian-American who arrived in Lagos and died 5 days later, infecting a whole stream of people before the progression was checked. Nigeria is now Ebola free again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like you might not watch regular (non "cable entertainment") news as well. Your post certainly makes it sound as if a person should turn to cable entertainment news if he or she wants to know something.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2014/10/19/greyhound-amtrak-station-closed-temporarily-over-ebola-scare/17578181/

Greyhound/AMTRAK station closed temporarily over Ebola scare

An Ebola scare shut down the AMTRAK and Greyhound station at 300 West Capitol Street on Sunday.

According to social media, around 6:30 a.m. the station was closed because a man came in on a bus from Dallas. According to reports, he was vomiting and showing flu-like symptoms.

He was transported to the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Officials with UMMC said a patient was brought in with those symptoms, but he was interviewed, tested, and cleared.

No one was answering the phone at the station as of around 3:45 p.m. Sunday.
Poor guy. Coming from Dallas with metro population in the millions and displaying flu like symptoms....he probably had the flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back