Amtrak Crescent Reviews and Tips.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering the Crescent R/T from NYP to Atlanta to attend a conference - how plentiful are cabs at the Atlanta station?
Plenty of cabs but cabs in Atlanta are not well kept up. You might consider contacting your hotel and find out if they provide free local transportation or can recommend a cab you can call when approaching the station. Where is your hotel? You might be better off with the bus.

I avoid Atlanta cabs.

I am considering the Crescent R/T from NYP to Atlanta to attend a conference - how plentiful are cabs at the Atlanta station?
Plenty of cabs but cabs in Atlanta are not well kept up. You might consider contacting your hotel and find out if they provide free local transportation or can recommend a cab you can call when approaching the station. Where is your hotel? You might be better off with the bus.

I avoid Atlanta cabs.
The hotel is the Marriott Marquis on Peachtree Center Avenue.

There should be plenty and the MARTA #110 bus stops right across the street from the station going both ways. :)

Thanks - I'll check the MARTA map.
Catch the #110 bus on the same side of the street as the station; it will take you to the Arts Center MARTA rail station. Go from there south to Peachtree Center station, go up on the north side (the direction from which you just came) and walk through the system of overhead bridges to your hotel. MARTA fare is $2. MARTA website is www.itsmarta.com.

As for cabs, they're no better or worse than most anywhere else. Get the driver to give you the fare before you leave - it is pretty much a straight shot to your hotel, about 4 miles. I doubt if that hotel will shuttle as far out as the Amtrak station, but it never hurts to ask.

Having grown up in South Florida I feel like I'll be well prepared. I know that Wilma was no Katrina, but I think we could all agree that Wilma dramatically changed large parts of South Florida. In all reality though I'll be sticking pretty close to the French Quarter/Downtown region. I won't really be making a beeline to the Lower 9th Ward.
In South Florida, it was Andrew (1992) that changed the landscape. Until Katrina, Andrew held the title of worst storm.

As a follow up to this I just made my reservations for my girlfriend and myself. We'll be heading out of Atlanta in Room 5 of the 1910 and coming back in Room 8 of the 2010. Definitely excited for a trip on a new train, new mileage, and to a new city. The only time I've ever been to NOL was on a layover back in 04 when I connected from the Sunset (JAX-NOL) to the City (NOL-CHI). Bourbon Street here we come!
By the way, we got a freaking steal on these rooms. It was $47 each way to upgrade to a sleeper. For both of us to be able to get three meals in the dining car it will definitely be worth it. Not to mention the privacy we'll get in a room versus being in coach.

You will see Tuscaloosa from the train this time. I recall you have visited before. I remember that because my sister went to school at ALA.

You will see the BHM station is even smaller than the ATL.

At one time BHM had a large and beautiful station called Terminal Station. It hosted 6 or 7 railroads. It is now torn down. Then there was the smaller station which just served the Louisvlle and Nashviile. It got a new building in 1960.

Long story short: it evolved to the train today called the Crescent , only train left, to use what had been the old L&N depot. This tiny staton actually gave a more direct line trough town from NYP to NOL than the old Terminal Station. Th FLoridian once served this station also.

Much of the building has been torn down, really ugly what is left of it, I will not deny.

Oh, and BTW, have a great trip!!
IIRC Bill the northbound (eastbound back then) Southern Crescent had to back into the station and the southbounder had to back out. I'll never forget the place because there was a dog food factory next to the switch that headed toward the station; watching the dumpsters of ground up whatever being hosed out was not particularly palatable.

As a follow up to this I just made my reservations for my girlfriend and myself. We'll be heading out of Atlanta in Room 5 of the 1910 and coming back in Room 8 of the 2010. Definitely excited for a trip on a new train, new mileage, and to a new city. The only time I've ever been to NOL was on a layover back in 04 when I connected from the Sunset (JAX-NOL) to the City (NOL-CHI). Bourbon Street here we come!
By the way, we got a freaking steal on these rooms. It was $47 each way to upgrade to a sleeper. For both of us to be able to get three meals in the dining car it will definitely be worth it. Not to mention the privacy we'll get in a room versus being in coach.

You will see Tuscaloosa from the train this time. I recall you have visited before. I remember that because my sister went to school at ALA.

At one time BHM had a large and beautiful station called Terminal Station. It hosted 6 or 7 railroads. It is now torn down. Then there was the smaller station which just served the Louisvlle and Nashviile. It got a new building in 1960.

Long story short: it evolved to the train today called the Crescent , only train left, to use what had been the old L&N depot. This tiny staton actually gave a more direct line trough town from NYP to NOL than the old Terminal Station. Th FLoridian once served this station also.

Much of the building has been torn down, really ugly what is left of it, I will not deny.

IIRC Bill the northbound (eastbound back then) Southern Crescent had to back into the station and the southbounder had to back out. I'll never forget the place because there was a dog food factory next to the switch that headed toward the station; watching the dumpsters of ground up whatever being hosed out was not particularly palatable.

Thanks Hadley for that detail. I was very young when my sister went to the University of Alabama and I never was around BHM that much.

Those who did not grow up with stub end terminals (as both stations were in Chattanooga) are missing one of the more obscure joys of railroading, like whether trains backed into stations or went headfirst.

Thanks Hadley for that detail. I was very young when my sister went to the University of Alabama and I never was around BHM that much.

Those who did not grow up with stub end terminals (as both stations were in Chattanooga) are missing one of the more obscure joys of railroading, like whether trains backed into stations or went headfirst.
Just one little tidbit that not many might remember. I don't recall the monkey tail ever being used to stop a train back when there was a conductor's signal system in use to back a train up. Three longs and the train backed up- one long and it stopped and two longs and it went ahead. No safety stop or radio, just common sense RR'ing.

Just one little tidbit that not many might remember. I don't recall the monkey tail ever being used to stop a train back when there was a conductor's signal system in use to back a train up. Three longs and the train backed up- one long and it stopped and two longs and it went ahead. No safety stop or radio, just common sense RR'ing.

Hadley maybe you or George Harris or somebody can help me with a question of my own since I did not live in ATL in the preAmtrak era. Concerning the train then called the Southerner which was similar to the train today called the Crescent. Long story about the name chnges, no need to get into that....but my question is: how did the southbound/westbound train get from the Peachtree Street Station(the small station which survives today) to the downtown Terminal Station? Did it enter Terminal Station head first or did it back? Then, northbond at that time how did it leave the mainline to get over to Terminal Station? Back up move or headfirst?

Hadley maybe you or George Harris or somebody can help me with a question of my own since I did not live in ATL in the preAmtrak era. Concerning the train then called the Southerner which was similar to the train today called the Crescent. Long story about the name chnges, no need to get into that....but my question is: how did the southbound/westbound train get from the Peachtree Street Station(the small station which survives today) to the downtown Terminal Station? Did it enter Terminal Station head first or did it back? Then, northbond at that time how did it leave the mainline to get over to Terminal Station? Back up move or headfirst?
I'll pass to Bill Haithcoat on this one as it is his home turf.He will have every tidbit about the train routings ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll pass to Bill Haithcoat on this one as it is his home turf.He will have every tidbit about the train routings ;)
I have no idea what the Southerner did at Atlanta. I would guess that it pulled in southbound and backed out to go to B'ham and backed in northbound and then pulled out. Part of the reason for that guess is that the Southerner north of Atlanta was at least twice the train that it was south of Atlanta. (Which gets me around to, why does Amtrak not do this? they have to be hauling a lot of air instead of people south of Atlanta by running the entire trainset through.) All other trains, except the SAL trains, either terminated went through, one way or another. The true pre-Amtrak Crescent went out south to go to New Orleans because it went through Montgomery AL and Mobile, not through B'ham. Likewise, the Piedmont Limited. The other through train on the Birmingham-Atlanta route, the Kansas City - Florida Special pulled in from the Birmingham and went out the south end toward Macon GA on its way to Jacksonville.

Likewisse, at Birmingham at the old Terminal Station, there were only two trains that did reversals, all others either terminated or went through. The reversing trains were the Southerner and the Pelican. both pulleed in from the east/nroth and pulled out to go south, and backed in from the south and pulled out to go east/north. ICRR and Frisco trains came in from the north and went out to the south on the CofG, for the ICRR train, and the Southern for the KC-Fla Special. There was no wye at Birmingham. By the way: pre Terminal Station, the Birmingham Union Station was the L&N station.

Source of B'ham knowledge: I caught the KC Fla special there going to Memphis in 1962. Watched it pull in from Atlanta. Almost the entire train was was switched out. A Frisco Diner-Lounge was added between the two through coaches and the Pullman, a reshuffled and added head end and two Frisco diesels were attached, and off we went. I could smell the cooking going on in the Diner while it was setting there waiting before the train even pulled in from Atlanta. Departure time was 12:05, so they were ready to start serving immediately. A dark green heavyweight coach was added in front of the two through coaches, if I remember correctly. I saw this train come through north Mississippi many times in the late 1950's early 60's. It might at times have a second streamlined pullman, but never more than two streamolined coaches. At busy times, it could have three or more heavyweight coaches in front of the streamlined coaches.

The Frisco DL was a modernized 6-axle heavyweight round roofed car with sealed windows in the dining are and fluted sides added and a streamliner paint job otherwise. the kitched area windoww were the pre remodeling wood framed windows, and it being summertime, were open.

The Frisco trains were gone by the time I was living there in 1968 & 9, but both ICRR trains were still going. Since these trains operated between Jasper AL and B'ham on Frisco rails, they were the last passenger trains to run on the Frisco.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay,

FYI, Bill H asked the question, so passing it on to him isn't going to do much good. :lol:

I have no idea what the Southerner did at Atlanta. I would guess that it pulled in southbound and backed out to go to B'ham and backed in northbound and then pulled out. Part of the reason for that guess is that the Southerner north of Atlanta was at least twice the train that it was south of Atlanta. (Which gets me around to, why does Amtrak not do this? they have to be hauling a lot of air instead of people south of Atlanta by running the entire trainset through.) All other trains, except the SAL trains, either terminated went through, one way or another. The true pre-Amtrak Crescent went out south to go to New Orleans because it went through Montgomery AL and Mobile, not through B'ham. Likewise, the Piedmont Limited. The other through train on the Birmingham-Atlanta route, the Kansas City - Florida Special pulled in from the Birmingham and went out the south end toward Macon GA on its way to Jacksonville.

Likewisse, at Birmingham at the old Terminal Station, there were only two trains that did reversals, all others either terminated or went through. The reversing trains were the Southerner and the Pelican. both pulleed in from the east/nroth and pulled out to go south, and backed in from the south and pulled out to go east/north. ICRR and Frisco trains came in from the north and went out to the south on the CofG, for the ICRR train, and the Southern for the KC-Fla Special. There was no wye at Birmingham. By the way: pre Terminal Station, the Birmingham Union Station was the L&N station.

Source of B'ham knowledge: I caught the KC Fla special there going to Memphis in 1962. Watched it pull in from Atlanta. Almost the entire train was was switched out. A Frisco Diner-Lounge was added between the two through coaches and the Pullman, a reshuffled and added head end and two Frisco diesels were attached, and off we went. I could smell the cooking going on in the Diner while it was setting there waiting before the train even pulled in from Atlanta. Departure time was 12:05, so they were ready to start serving immediately. A dark green heavyweight coach was added in front of the two through coaches, if I remember correctly. I saw this train come through north Mississippi many times in the late 1950's early 60's. It might at times have a second streamlined pullman, but never more than two streamolined coaches. At busy times, it could have three or more heavyweight coaches in front of the streamlined coaches.

The Frisco DL was a modernized 6-axle heavyweight round roofed car with sealed windows in the dining are and fluted sides added and a streamliner paint job otherwise. the kitched area windoww were the pre remodeling wood framed windows, and it being summertime, were open.

The Frisco trains were gone by the time I was living there in 1968 & 9, but both ICRR trains were still going. Since these trains operated between Jasper AL and B'ham on Frisco rails, they were the last passenger trains to run on the Frisco.
Thanks George.Even though you did not know the answer to the original question, you gave lots of other good info, and it made sense as I read it.

I have one especially good memory of Birmingham railroading. We were in the car driving from Chattanooga to Tuscaloosa and were going over a very basic overpass, you will know it immediately. There, right under us, was a four hours late southbound Humming Bird coming into town going to our left over to the L&N depot. My first time to see the Humming Bird and very unexpected. Such lateness would have been very rare at that time, though not later as we both well know.

It looked like it's tail was tucked under its legs. And I did not tell mother and daddy what a bad choo choo it was being that day.

Jay,

FYI, Bill H asked the question, so passing it on to him isn't going to do much good. :lol:
DUH...my bad;gimme that dummy of the week trophy~ it's well deserved. I thought since Bill was right there he would have all the dope...wrong again brake shoe breathe !!! :lol: :cool: :cool: :lol:

I do recall a Southern switch engine pulled us out of the downtown station after cutting some cars out of the Southerner train; exactly how many he set out I don't remember but I do remember being dragged quite a ways by the switch engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back