Amtrak.com today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
6:45 PM Pacific...I'm seeing a bare bones website... two tabs: Buy Tickets and Train Status

We are currently experiencing an issue which is preventing us from providing all the features of Amtrak.com. It is only possible to make one-way and round-trip reservations or check Train Status. For assistance, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Interesting ... ©2014 ... must have brought up something from last year until the regular site is restored.

Haven't explored further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks OK now but Chrome is still showing a different site to Firefox as it has done for weeks here.

Chrome on the left Firefox on the right

chrome-firefox.jpg

Still first time I have been able to use Track a Train with no errors for 2 days!!

I find it incredible that Amtrak just doesn't go back to the previous version? If this has crashed because of some catastrophic equipment or software failure they "should" have backups elsewhere in the US to be able to go back on line with. No site of this size is a stand alone--at least I hope that isn't the case.
Rolling back is not a decision to take lightly and is likely to involve interface and database changes that have to be carefully coordinated between the front and back ends. What do you do with orphaned transactions that have occurred between a deployment and a rollback? How will you handle partially processed transactions that are now stuck in programmatic limbo with no method for completion? Can the various systems involved handle the rollback without making things worse? There is a lot to consider when a major commercial website suffers a severe complication.

Not sure if the site crash was due to database outage, as phone apps were working correctly.

I made a reservation through Amtrak app yesterday and got the e-ticket.

I find it incredible that Amtrak just doesn't go back to the previous version? If this has crashed because of some catastrophic equipment or software failure they "should" have backups elsewhere in the US to be able to go back on line with. No site of this size is a stand alone--at least I hope that isn't the case.
Rolling back is not a decision to take lightly and is likely to involve interface and database changes that have to be carefully coordinated between the front and back ends. What do you do with orphaned transactions that have occurred between a deployment and a rollback? How will you handle partially processed transactions that are now stuck in programmatic limbo with no method for completion? Can the various systems involved handle the rollback without making things worse? There is a lot to consider when a major commercial website suffers a severe complication.

Not sure if the site crash was due to database outage, as phone apps were working correctly.

I made a reservation through Amtrak app yesterday and got the e-ticket.

Even the app stopped working yesterday.

I am faced with a situation on amtrak.com again today where I can make a reservation using the phone app, but the web app fails to respond to clicking on "Find Trains". This is getting to be really annoying.

Well, the "Find Trains" on the front page is not working. But if you can manage to get to the old reservation page by whatever means, behind the front page. That is working fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am faced with a situation on amtrak.com again today where I can make a reservation using the phone app, but the web app fails to respond to clicking on "Find Trains". This is getting to be really annoying.

Well, the "Find Trains" on the front page is not working. But if you can manage to get to the old reservation page by whatever means, behind the front page. That is working fine.
Working fine for me. However, I need to fill in from/to/date before the button switches from gray to blue.

In my case in Firefox the button comes up blue when the page comes up and nothing happens when it is clicked after filling in the info. On Chrome, it comes up grey and remains grey even when the info is filled in. So I just click away from the cover page to the actual reservation page and that works just fine.

The new improved amtrak.com is slowly becoming a random embarrassment I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back