Amtrak clueless with the Super Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For my schedule, what do I go by? The times that the reservation system gives or the times that the Check Train Status does?

Here's the official Amtrak Press Release.

As part of the ongoing effort to repair and maintain the nation's railroad infrastructure, major track work will occur this spring between Savannah, Ga. and Jacksonville, Fla.
Freight railroad company CSX will be installing 104,000 concrete and wooden ties as well as 9,000 feet of new rail on the line they own and operate between Savannah and Jacksonville.  Since Amtrak trains use this line, this infrastructure upgrade will temporarily affect Amtrak's service in the Southeast.

For a two-month period trains 97 & 98, the southbound and northbound Silver Meteor, will be canceled. The effective dates are April 24 to June 22.  To accommodate passengers traveling between New York, Miami and points in between, the Silver Star (trains 91 & 92) will become a 'super train' adding cars and increasing capacity.

This expanded train will consist of 2 locomotives and 16 cars:

6 coaches

4 sleeping cars  

2 dining cars

1 lounge car

2 baggage cars

1 crew car

Extra staff will also be added to the 'super trains' to serve the additional passengers.

The new makeup of the Silver Star requires a shift in its current schedule. Beginning April 24, train 91 will leave New York Penn Station at 9:45 a.m. with a scheduled arrival into Miami the next day at 3:38 p.m.  Beginning April 25, train 92 will leave Miami at 8:35 a.m. with a scheduled arrival into New York Penn Station the next day at 2:30 p.m.  Also The Palmetto, trains 89 & 90, will add stops in Yemassee, S.C., a stop normally served only by trains 97 & 98.

During the modified service, train 91 will not make a station stop in Trenton, N.J.  The northbound and southbound Silver Star will both add stops in Jesup, Ga. and Okeechobee, Fla.

Due to the change in the operation of the Silver Service trains, several connections will be unavailable during the track work and modified schedule.

The Capitol Limited, train 30 (Chicago to Washington, D.C.) will not connect with train 91 at Washington Union Station.

Train 95 (Boston to Newport News, VA) will not connect with train 91 at New York for travel from New England.

There will be no connection from South Florida to train 1, The Sunset Limited, at Orlando.  

The Piedmont, train 74 (Charlotte to Raleigh) will not connect with train 91 at Raleigh.

The Sunset Limited, train 2 (Los Angeles to Orlando) will not connect with train 92 in Jacksonville.

In addition, several bus connections between Orlando, Tampa and Ft. Myers will be affected by the temporary service change.

Bus 6091 & 6092 will operate approximately 2 hours 15 minutes earlier than normal.

Bus 6097 & 6098 are canceled.

In lieu of 6097 & 6098, an express bus will operate from Tampa to Orlando in order to provide passengers from The Palmetto, trains 89 & 90 access to Orlando.

To ensure accurate travel planning and smooth connections, we urge passengers to contact our toll free reservation service at 1-800-USA-RAIL with any questions regarding the scheduled service changes.
The full press release can also be found here.

I checked both the Reservation and Train Status Pages, and both give me very diferent times for 1191/91 from DLB-HOL and 1192/92 from WAS-NWK. I'm not sure which to go by.

Viewliner said:
I checked both the Reservation and Train Status Pages, and both give me very diferent times for 1191/91 from DLB-HOL and 1192/92 from WAS-NWK. I'm not sure which to go by.
Well first off I'm not sure why you are trying to get the time for a ride that Amtrak won't sell you, DLB- HOL. :confused:

However that said, when I check Train Status and Reservations, I get ar 1:50 at DLB arrival from both places.

When you check the train status page, are you using tomorrows date or todays date? :unsure: That would cause a problem. While you can use the 24th for the reservation side, you've got to use the 25th for the status side. Remember that the train arriving today at DLB is running it's normal schedule.

First SB Superconsist--

South

1-2 Electric engines, at least one an AEM7

2 Baggage

2519-Pine Gorge

62031- Prarie View

62003- Bay View

62010- Forest View

62030- Patriot View

28007- New York Club

Guest said:
It seems the first run isn't going to well schedule wise.
This is Amtrak!!! Who said it would operate on schedule the first run? :lol: :D :ph34r:

Ofcourse not exactly on schedule. I'm just surprise it arrived in WAS at 5:38. 4 hours seems strange that early in the run.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I checked both the Reservation and Train Status Pages, and both give me very diferent times for 1191/91 from DLB-HOL and 1192/92 from WAS-NWK.  I'm not sure which to go by.
Well first off I'm not sure why you are trying to get the time for a ride that Amtrak won't sell you, DLB- HOL. :confused:

However that said, when I check Train Status and Reservations, I get ar 1:50 at DLB arrival from both places.

When you check the train status page, are you using tomorrows date or todays date? :unsure: That would cause a problem. While you can use the 24th for the reservation side, you've got to use the 25th for the status side. Remember that the train arriving today at DLB is running it's normal schedule.
I used a date that the train would be running, either a date in May, or a few days from now. I was trying to publish a(n unofficial) schedule, and I'm getting 4-6 mins difference on 91 for DLB, DFB, FTL, and HOL between the reservations and train status' page. On the corridor for 92, there's an hour's difference at Washington (9:45 vs 10:45), 24 mins difference in BAL (11:02 vs 11:26), 37 mins difference in WIL (11:53 vs 12:25), 4 mins difference in TRE, 3 mins difference in NWK, same time for NYP. So it mainly on the southern part of the corridor that has me confused. I'll go ahead and post the schedule I made up on my site, as well as that consist from today.

As it stands now P1191(24) is running 4 1/2 hours late at Jacksonvile, FL. This was due in part to the AEM-7s s***ing the bed at Wilmignton. Two rescue units (AEM-7s) were added to the train, brining the entire power to four units (though the two failed units had pans down). This is according to a few post on Trainorders.

In other news, P1192(25) is already over 1 hour late out of Deerfield Beach.

Well, this is gonna be one heck of interesting two months. Why, if all goes well we can call it the "Silver Failure".

Amfleet said:
As it stands now P1191(24) is running 4 1/2 hours late at Jacksonvile, FL. This was due in part to the AEM-7s Well, this is gonna be one heck of interesting two months. Why, if all goes well we can call it the "Silver Failure".
Yeah, I agree all goes as well as it did today it'll be two months of the "Silver Screw Up." I still say it would've been easier to just change the Meteor's times as was the initial plan.

Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
As it stands now P1191(24) is running 4 1/2 hours late at Jacksonvile, FL. This was due in part to the AEM-7s Well, this is gonna be one heck of interesting two months. Why, if all goes well we can call it the "Silver Failure".
Yeah, I agree all goes as well as it did today it'll be two months of the "Silver Screw Up." I still say it would've been easier to just change the Meteor's times as was the initial plan.
I think the reason that they combined the two trains is that after rescheduling the Silver Star and Meteor due to the track work the two trains would have run on baisicly the same schedule. And while things have got off to a rough start just give the guys a week to get used to things.

Maybe, they should reschedule the current schedule for this train.

Well here's my two cents, I spoke with a member of 1191 yesterday morning, he said that things were very quiet on board, sleepers were full but the coaches were not much fuller than normal in the coaches. As for either train being late today, it is to be expected as CSX is enforcing Heat Orders between 1PM-7PM on almost every Subdivision (except the Miami Sub). I also expect delays for 1192 out of Miami, as there was speculation about the train needing to be on two seperate tracks in Miami in order for the whole thing to fit in, don't hold me to that, it was just speculation among some crew members. Now, 119225 was very well staffed as they have a Conductor and 4 Assistant Conductors! :blink: Another factor to consider is that many stations down here will require double spots or even triple spots in cases like Delray Beach and Okeechobee. No extra dwell time was put into the schedule for these double spots so expect a lot of HLD codes on delay reports. As for the exact shedule it is as follows, Jon and I got copies of the public timetable.

NYP-945

NWK-1005

PHL-ARR1110

PHL-DEP1120

WIL-1145

BAL-1242

WAS-ARR1318

WAS-DEP1340

ALX-1359

RVR-ARR1534

RVR-DEP1549

PTB-1625

RMT-1753

RGH-ARR1906

RGH-DEP1924

SOP-2044

HAM-2120

CAM-2246

CLB-2338

DMK-044

SAV-ARR200

SAV-DEP205

JSP-300

JAX-ARR521

JAX-DEP603

PAK-711

DLD-802

SFD-824

WPK-853

ORL-ARR918

ORL-DEP933

KIS-958

WTH-1048

SBG-1130

OKE-1206

WPB-1325

DLB-1350

DFB-1409

FTL-1429

HOL-1448

MIA-1538

MIA-835

HOL-902

FTL-918

DFB-941

DLB-958

WPB-1027

OKE-1124

SBG-1202

WTH-1243

KIS-1330

ORL-ARR1403

ORL-DEP1418

WPK-1439

SFD-1505

DLD-1527

PAK-1617

JAX-ARR1744

JAX-DEP1815

JSP-1934

SAV-ARR2035

SAV-DEP2040

DMK-2201

CLB-2327

CAM-010

HAM-138

SOP-221

RGH-417

RMT-532

PTB-656

RVR-ARR735

RVR-DEP750

ALX-934

WAS-ARR1005

BAL-1121

WIL-1220

PHL-ARR1247

TRE-1332

NWK-1410

NYP-ARR1430

Those heat orders aren't going to help all summer. Isn't max speed under those 50mph?

MSP is 50, all slow orders over 30 are reduced by 10 MPH, all orders 30 and under remain the same. Also, as of right now there are approximately 45 Slow Orders/Conditional Stop Orders between JAX-MIA, so that doesn't help anything.

Thanks, I'm going to update my schedule to reflect those times (as well as giving you credit). Any Idea what 1191's power was?

Just an update, P1192(25) hasn't even left the state of Florida yet and is running 6 hours late out of DeLand at 9:04pm! :eek: What's ironic about this is the Silver Meteor would actually be running earlier than the Super Train is now. Will they have to bus because of the curfews north of JAX?

This is also making me worried about my trip on the Super Train comming up this week, more so my connection in New York to Boston. The last train out of New York to Boston is at 7:30pm! Any later I will be catching the defunct Federal #66 in the early morning hours. Does anyone know the hours of the enclosed Amtrak waiting area in Penn Station? :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back