Amtrak clueless with the Super Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I spoke with an OBS friend of mine this afternoon to see what was happening with the Super Train this weekend. It is confirmed that the first train will leave New York on the 24. But, there are several scenarios as to how things will playout:

Option 1

P09723 annulled

Equipment

P09822 with P04822's equipment will turn to become P09124 (Super Train)

P09222 will turn to P04924

Crews

P09822 and P09222 crews will turn to P09124

Option 2

P09723 will run as scheduled from P09822's equipment

Equipment

P09222 with P04822's equipment will turn to become P09124 (Super Train)

P09823 will turn to P04924

Crews

P09723 will return to Miami with its normal crew

P09222's crew plus another make up crew from Miami (they will be flown to NY) will work P09124

So only time will tell what will happen, I do have sources who will know one way or the other exactly what's happening by Thursday (or Friday at the latest), so as I get more information I'll pass it along.

Sounds to me like option 2 is the way to go, at least in terms of Passenger Covenience. If you go ahead and cancel 97(23) you'll have a trainload of passengers that'll be pretty annoyed, and have to be put somewhere, a lot more complicated than just flying a crew up.

Although, if you ask me, it'd have been a lot easier to have gone with the initial plan of the schedule change for the Meteor instead of the whole Supertrain. (Though it'll be great to see).

I plan on going to Secaucus in a little over a month to see it, so I'm curious, would video be better than pictures for this unusual occurance? (My digital camera can also act as a video camera, which I can upload to my computer).

Viewliner said:
Sounds to me like option 2 is the way to go, at least in terms of Passenger Covenience. If you go ahead and cancel 97(23) you'll have a trainload of passengers that'll be pretty annoyed, and have to be put somewhere, a lot more complicated than just flying a crew up.
Well, it P097(23) is already being showed as cancelled through ARROW, but who knows how everything will turn out.

OK guys. I have confirmation from two sources that P09723 will operate as scheduled (one from OBS, one from mid-level management). Right now niether train will depart until the 25 (P09125 and P09225), only one sources, so no confirmation, but pretty sure on it.

I plan on going to Secaucus in a little over a month to see it, so I'm curious, would video be better than pictures for this unusual occurance?
When in doubt use both. :lol: :D If you can get a wide angle on the train definitely use both, I know I would. If you can only get right up next to it (if it passes you in the station and your on the platform) than video would work best. Try to get as wide of an angle (possibly in a curve) as you can. Just my humble opinion.

Isn't it great how things change so quickly? I now have confirmation from OBS and Management that P09723 will NOT operate. It is my best guess that P091 of the 24 will be the first to operate as the Super Train, but that has yet to be confirmed.

battalion51 said:
Isn't it great how things change so quickly? I now have confirmation from OBS and Management that P09723 will NOT operate. It is my best guess that P091 of the 24 will be the first to operate as the Super Train, but that has yet to be confirmed.
It seems to be the only way Amtrak operates. :lol:

Ah, it seems as though Amtrak never fails in not using logic... <_<

I'm not saying that I did't expect it to happen, just disappointed that its the case.

Looks like the track work is over on June 17 as Amtrak has posted an Atlantic Coast Service Schedule effective June 17 here (Link is a PDF file, Adobe Reader required). It looks like although the Silver Star is adding Okeechobee as a stop, 98 will be dropping Okeechobee from its stop list. So Okeechobee will retain two train a day, that now will serve all destinations on the Silver Service route (in one way or another). Other than that it looks like just a little bit of tweaking to the schedules, no major changes.

Interesting Typo (Minor, yet insignificant), they left that little box with the number 20 next to Train 90, even though there is no note below it. It's something left over from the last schedule.

Its annoying that they have the schedule as one long column, so now you have to turn the thing to read it correctly. I'm a little surprised that they really don't make any reference to the Super Train on either the schedule or the website itself.

I guess its sensible to change Okeechobee around, since now it does include all Silver Service destinations.

I'm glad I hacked up a Silver Service Schedule when I did, I know have a copy of both the Northern and Southern Schedules in my pocket briefcase, which is small and easy to use. Guess I'll have to custom make something in Lotus now.

I usually type out my own schedules before I go on a trip, plus leave colomns to keep track of the trains performance.

There's even a bigger screw up in the National Timetable with the Silver Service page. In the lower right hand corner there's a box that mentions CSX is doing trackwork. Though, instead of the "SuperTrain" it mentions how the Silver Star and Silver Meteor will be rescheduled to accomodate the trackwork. Well, since that printing that has obviously changed.

A couple of points for you to consider:

1. The lead time required to produce the printed system timetable is substantial. Oftentimes, things make it into print that are incorrect or obsolete due to the fact that Operations does have to make a number of refinements between the time they provide the initial cut of the schedules and what is ultimately settled on.

2. The decision to not operate "P097(23)" was made many weeks ago. The reservations system has reflected that since at least 01APR04. Whatever sources you are conferring with that gave you contrary information were simply mistaken. It was not a case of "Amtrak management" being wishy-washy on the planning.

3. The biggest hurdle and headache to overcome in the planning of the Nahunta Sub Track Work adjustments was CSX management, with whom Amtrak folk had to negotiate and re-negotiate operational plans countless times before arriving at something both companies felt they could live with. Again, it wasn't a case of Amtrak folk being indecisive but more a case of "tit for tat" with CSX.

Does anyone know where to find a schedule for the "super train". There is a good chance that i will be riding it home in mid-May. Thanks.

railman, while I know the cancellation of 9723 was reflected in ARROW weeks ago, Amtrak managers felt that they could run 9723 because of the way crew schedules worked out, and equipment needs both in Miami and New York. Well things didn't work out like that thought, the ultimate decision came down from Philly late Wednesday.

Well just in case anyone has any lingering doubts about today's train #97, I can safely tell you that it isn't running.

I just left Penn Station 30 minutes ago, after picking up my new Amtrak Spring timetables, and 97 is not on the big board for tonight. Plenty of other train were up all the way through 7:30, but no southbound Meteor.

Yup, I talked with the guy who was supposed to be the LSA tonigt for 97, but he's in NY settling in for the night, so that was the icing on the cake for me.

Just got back from sunnyside

There are a number of consists there, and some peices of trains too.

here are these fragments:

Single cars

2 Crewdorms, 2 Viewliners, 1 is Stream view

62049-28021-Amcoach2

1259-2521-unknown Viewliner-National view-8552-Smoking lounge-4 Amcoach2s

1712-2516-62014-Viewliner-8524-28003-5 Amcoach 2

1720-2516-62010-Viewliner-Phaze 6 diner(with short and wide windows across from the kitchen)-2 Amcoach 2

Is the Super Train running using 91/92 schedule? I think I read that it was somewhere but I'm not sure.

From what I've read on Trainorders and by my own research on the Amtrak website the "Super Train" will be known as 1191 & 1192. Both are listed as "Special" trains on the website.

I don't get anything for 1192. I've drawn up a schedule, I'm just getting inconsistencies from the Reservations Systems vs Train Status on the NEC for 92 and South Florida for 91.

Viewliner said:
I don't get anything for 1192. I've drawn up a schedule, I'm just getting inconsistencies from the Reservations Systems vs Train Status on the NEC for 92 and South Florida for 91.
The system still list that 98 is leaving from Miami this morning (don't know if it's true). You have to search using the all trains from a station search. If you search NYP to MIA today and MIA to NYP for tomorrow 1191 & 1192 appear.

Well according to Amtrak status 1191 left Newark 7 minutes late. However, according to that same webpage, the train has no status out of NY.

Go figure. :unsure:

I can tell you that I rode over the Sunnyside yard at 9:40 or so and the super train was not in sight. So it arrived into NYP on time or very close to on time.

92 & 98 are supposed to run normally today, as yesterdays departures of 91 & 97 will arrive in Hialeah in plenty of time to form tomorrow's northbound 1192 super train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back