Amtrak Chocolates Are Back!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never seen chocolates - in Chicago Metropolitan Lounge a few weeks ago - don't recall seeing these out in snack area. It is possible I missed them. I will probably end up regretting saying this. But my most recent Chicago Metropolitan Lounge was smoothest I have ever had. Absolutely no attitude during check-in - no hassles for me or others coming in. Complete reversal of past experiences.

I still think that Chicago Metropolitan Lounge employees could use scanner "guns" for tickets. I fully believe this would make check-in process even smoother.

Never seen chocolates - in Chicago Metropolitan Lounge a few weeks ago - don't recall seeing these out in snack area. It is possible I missed them. I will probably end up regretting saying this. But my most recent Chicago Metropolitan Lounge was smoothest I have ever had. Absolutely no attitude during check-in - no hassles for me or others coming in. Complete reversal of past experiences. I still think that Chicago Metropolitan Lounge employees could use scanner "guns" for tickets. I fully believe this would make check-in process even smoother.
So far there is no evidence that Chicago’s Metropolitan Lounge is stocking these chocolates. Apparently this is limited to the Metro Lounge at LAUS. The problem with the Chicago staff is that anything which didn’t scan would be barred from entering, even if it met the conditions of the rules. If the gun were to malfunction nobody would be allowed in at all. Or at least that’s what I imagine would happen based on past experience with the intentionally clueless openly hostile staff in Chicago.

I've been through Chicago multiple times in the last year, and I've never had an issue with the lounge staff.

When I was on the Silver Star a few months ago, my SCA passed out chocolates. They were small squares of Milky Ways and Snickers, so I'm assuming that he bought them with his own money.

Was this SCA on the California Zephyr? I had a SCA do something very similar on the California Zephyr about 2 1/2 years ago, but I have no recollection of his name.
Yes it was.Our SCA's name was Curt. Ring any bells?
Same deal for me last spring on CZ. Had Curt as our SCA, had excellent service, blue napkin on the tray table with intro card and candy; candy, fruit, decorations at coffee-pot. Too bad the train itself had so many difficulties that trip. SCA was looking like death warmed over, he was so tired by the time we reached Chi around 12 hours late - none of the delays were weather-related, just weird stuff that kept adding and delaying the train.

In defense of the Chicago staff, I point out that they have 10 times the number of trains thus 100's of passengers passing through. Personally, I've never had a problem with the staff in Chicago. The problem is over crowding of the lounge as 3 or 4 trains board with in a couple hours. I passed through Chicago Sunday August 3 and was treated well by the check in staff as well as the red cap holding the baggage in the lounge. I did notice that regularly the staff would put out snacks and the passengers would make a mad rush to get them including some putting extras away to take with them. Working in the Chicago lounge is a "tougher" job than in the Los Angeles lounge. I was in the Los Angeles lounge July 26 and 27. Basically only one train at a time and the crowd concentrated for only an hour or so plus the Sunset Limited only departs three nights a week. When I was in the lounge there was only a few people and the one attendant had plenty of time and was friendly and we had several friendly conversations as I left my bags in the lounge in morning and then was out and about LA and returned early to wait on my 10pm Sunset Limited departure. Actually the LA lounge is quite small and would be totally inadequate to service the Chicago crowds but I sure enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere. Those cookies would only last about 2 minutes in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back