Amtrak Car Numbers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a list somewhere that lists specifications of an Amtrak car by its number? I'm riding in car 330. It has a roomette, but no information like year built, or if it is a Superliner or Viewliner. If there is a list, it would be quite informative for Amtrak riders.

Is there a list somewhere that lists specifications of an Amtrak car by its number? I'm riding in car 330. It has a roomette, but no information like year built, or if it is a Superliner or Viewliner. If there is a list, it would be quite informative for Amtrak riders.
330 refers to where it is in the consist. You can find the actual car number on the doors at the ends of the car, I believe. Or else on the outside of the car.
You can find those numbers here: On Track On Line - Amtrak Passenger Equipment Roster Menu Page

Thanks! I'll check that out. When you get your Amtrak reservation. Can you call them for the actual car number?
They won't know what cars are in a consist till the day it departs it's origin (in your case Chicago). Even then, if your car is found to have issues before it departs, they may replace it with another car.

Although it's frequently referred to as the "car number", the "330" is properly called the "line number". It's either 3 or 4 digits. The last 2 digits denote the type of car (sleeper or coach), and the position (1st sleeper, 2nd sleeper, etc.) The leading digit or 2 digits are the train number, as seen on timetables.

Sleepers have their line number displayed outside the door so that passengers can find the sleeper to which they're assigned.

I don't know why, but the range of the last digit varies by train. On some trains, the 1st sleeper's line number ends with a 0, and on others it ends with a 1. The 2nd-to-last digit also varies by train. A line number ending in 9 indicates a crew dorm; Amtrak sometimes sells unneeded rooms to passengers. But not all crew dorms end in 9. o_O

330 is the car line number, not the number of the actual, physical car. Most of the time there two "330"s active and on the road. The car line used for reservation system inventory tracking and assignment and consist position. Any standard Superliner I or II sleeper can serve in the role of "330". The physical car number is 5 characters, is on the end doors and the sides of the car and does not appear anywhere on the reservation.

Thanks! I'll check that out. When you get your Amtrak reservation. Can you call them for the actual car number?
No, Superliners run in a national pool and any standard Superliner sleeper can be assigned to your train's 330. The reservation system does not track equipment assignment at all, that is a separate operation. Cars are regularly swapped in and out of consists for inspection and maintenance. All the reservation system knows is there is a Superliner sleeper assigned to the 30 car line on the SW Chief, that is all the reservation system needs to know. It is up to the coach yard and equipment management to see that there is one, which one doesn't matter.

I don't know why, but the range of the last digit varies by train. On some trains, the 1st sleeper's line number ends with a 0, and on others it ends with a 1. The 2nd-to-last digit also varies by train. A line number ending in 9 indicates a crew dorm; Amtrak sometimes sells unneeded rooms to passengers. But not all crew dorms end in 9. o_O
Superliner transdorms generally are 40 car lines, none of them are 09 (the Cap may be an exception. Don't know the Cap's transdorm car line). Except the Builder, where the transdorm is the 32 car line. On any other train, the 32 car line would be a standard sleeper.🙄

That use of the 09 car line seems limited to the relatively new Viewliner bag/dorms.

Last edited:
Maybe these designations are so the car assignment clerk knows what type car. Say the crescent has a 09 car which means to assign what ever bag sleeper V-2 is available. Same for all the other designations. When none available that is probably when a higher up has to decide?

Maybe these designations are so the car assignment clerk knows what type car. Say the crescent has a 09 car which means to assign what ever bag sleeper V-2 is available. Same for all the other designations. When none available that is probably when a higher up has to decide?
Well, both the CZ and Builder have consists that are running with standard sleepers in the transdorm car lines.

Reservations in a 40 car or 09 car are based on the car type assigned. When other types are assigned in those car lines, it appears there are manual workarounds.

No, Superliners run in a national pool and any standard Superliner sleeper can be assigned to your train's 330. The reservation system does not track equipment assignment at all, that is a separate operation. Cars are regularly swapped in and out of consists for inspection and maintenance. All the reservation system knows is there is a Superliner sleeper assigned to the 30 car line on the SW Chief, that is all the reservation system needs to know. It is up to the coach yard and equipment management to see that there is one, which one doesn't matter.
Thanks! So it looks like everytime you get on an Amtrak train you're at the luck of the draw as to how old your sleeping car actually is.

Thanks! So it looks like everytime you get on an Amtrak train you're at the luck of the draw as to how old your sleeping car actually is.
True for Superliners (bilevels). But there are only 2 varieties of Superliner sleepers, and the differences are minor. The Superliner I's are physically older than the Superliner II's, but they're newer on the inside, because they've all been refurbed.

On single level Viewliner trains, Amtrak tries to be consistent on which type goes into each line number, I think mainly because they have different numbers of Roomettes. You can usually find that info on discussions in this forum. But substitutions do occur due to maintenance issues, and when a VL I is replaced by a VL II, it can result in passengers being bumped into coach.

You can also look for a recent YouTube of the train to see what type of Viewliner sleepers are on the train. Sleepers all have a door at one end, while VL II diners have a door in the center.

There are 2 easy ways to distinguish between a VL I and a VL II sleeper visually.
  1. VL I sleepers have a dark strip down the center of the roof, which contains a cable conduit.
  2. VL I sleepers have windows all the way to the back of the car (the end opposite the door). VL II sleepers are missing the last set of windows.
  3. A third difference, which may or may not be visible depending upon the lighting and the speed the train was moving, is that VL II's have skirting protecting the undercarriage, while VL I's are mostly open underneath.

On the Superliner trains it is either a 1979-81 Superliner I, which look newer since they were refurbished in the 2000s, or a 1993-1995 Superliner II, which look older because the interiors are original. You can tell from the outside which one is which by the trucks, the Is have a funny looking European designed truck (can't really describe it, but they're weird looking), and a much more standard looking truck on the IIs. IIs also have electronic car line number signs, Is have manual roller car line signs.

There are 2 easy ways to distinguish between a VL I and a VL II sleeper visually.
  1. VL I sleepers have a dark strip down the center of the roof, which contains a cable conduit.
  2. VL I sleepers have windows all the way to the back of the car (the end opposite the door). VL II sleepers are missing the last set of windows.
  3. A third difference, which may or may not be visible depending upon the lighting and the speed the train was moving, is that VL II's have skirting protecting the undercarriage, while VL I's are mostly open underneath.

The Viewliner IIs also have bright brake indicator lights on the side, green for brakes released and yellow for brakes or hand brake applied. They're pretty bright and an excellent indicator of Viewliner type. There are also red door lights above the vestibules, but they're only useful when the door is open.

Back