Amtrak/Camping Sites

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pacific Surfliner Grover City station is across from Pismo State Beach. Yosemite NP is served by San Joaquin Thruway Buses. Grand Canyon NP is also served by Thruway Bus from Flagstaff.

Glacier National Park?
I thought about that, I did an Amtrak trip there & stayed at the Village Inn At Apgar (Best Vacation Ever!). There is a camp ground in Apgar, are there others in the Park?
There are numerous camp grounds in Glacier. They are divided into Auto Campgrounds and Backcountry campgrounds. Only a few auto campgrounds accept reservations. Most auto campgrounds fill fairly early in the day although there are some specific walking sites for folks without vehicles that may be available later in the day.

The Appalachian Trail runs within a few blocks of the Harpers Ferry, WV, Amtrak station--but I don't know how far you need to walk on it before camping is permitted. Typically, you can camp right by the trail in most places, but not when it's running through a town.

How far is Warren Dunes in Michigan from Amtrak?

If you are willing to go "off Amtrak" and take the South Shore, you've got the Indiana Dunes State Park and Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore near the Dune Park and Beverly Shores stations (I think there is a second National Lakeshore campground, but I can't remember exactly where it is).

How far is Warren Dunes in Michigan from Amtrak?
Just about halfway between New Buffalo and St Joseph, as is Grand Mere State Park.
Holland State Park is a Lyft ride away from HOM down Lake Macatawa to Lake Michigan. Saugatuck Dunes SP is also theoretically reachable, but would involve a 15 minute drive down I-196.

The Appalachian Trail runs within a few blocks of the Harpers Ferry, WV, Amtrak station--but I don't know how far you need to walk on it before camping is permitted. Typically, you can camp right by the trail in most places, but not when it's running through a town.
South of HF, you'd be at least two miles from HF before you could legally camp up on the ridge south of Loudoun Heights--actually in Virginia. Not really great campsites, kinda rocky, and no water sources. About six miles from HF, south of Keys Gap is better camping and in about three more miles also a three-sided shelter and water from a spring (David Lessor Shelter).

North of HF, you'd cross the Potomac into Maryland on a footbridge that parallels the RR tracks, then follow the C&O Canal (concurrent with the AT) over three miles before the AT starts ascending to Weaverton Heights; in about three more miles from the C&O turn-off you'd be at a three-sided backcountry shelter called Ed Garvey Shelter (rustic spring for water). Between the C&O and the shelter are a few possibly serviceable campsites but no water sources.

So regardless of whether you camp south or north, figure a several-hour hike or less on the AT to/from HF where the CL stops. Scheduled stops are just before noon eastbound, or late afternoon westbound so a hiker can easily meet the CL's scheduled arrival/departures. There are also commercial lodging and low-cost hostel options in and near HF popular with long distance hikers, who typically resupply food and other items every few days when they get near a town and often take the welcome opportunity to get a shower, sleep in a bed, and splurge on a restaurant meal -- not necessarily in that order LOL.

All of these are very doable for most long distance hikers if they carry enough treated or filtered water from the last known good sources north or south (the chemical-laden Potomac River doesn't qualify!). I've known a lot of long distance hikers and even weekend warriors who start or end a hike on the AT at HF because of the availability of Amtrak...even some thru-hikers (those going all 2,190 miles between Georgia and Maine) who take a break from the Trail for a day or more by using the CL to get them to/from DC; MARC commuter trains also serve the same purpose on different schedules and stop in HF.

South of HF, you'd be at least two miles from HF before you could legally camp up on the ridge south of Loudoun Heights--actually in Virginia. Not really great campsites, kinda rocky, and no water sources. About six miles from HF, south of Keys Gap is better camping and in about three more miles also a three-sided shelter and water from a spring (David Lessor Shelter).

North of HF, you'd cross the Potomac into Maryland on a footbridge that parallels the RR tracks, then follow the C&O Canal (concurrent with the AT) over three miles before the AT starts ascending to Weaverton Heights; in about three more miles from the C&O turn-off you'd be at a three-sided backcountry shelter called Ed Garvey Shelter (rustic spring for water). Between the C&O and the shelter are a few possibly serviceable campsites but no water sources.

So regardless of whether you camp south or north, figure a several-hour hike or less on the AT to/from HF where the CL stops. Scheduled stops are just before noon eastbound, or late afternoon westbound so a hiker can easily meet the CL's scheduled arrival/departures. There are also commercial lodging and low-cost hostel options in and near HF popular with long distance hikers, who typically resupply food and other items every few days when they get near a town and often take the welcome opportunity to get a shower, sleep in a bed, and splurge on a restaurant meal -- not necessarily in that order LOL.

All of these are very doable for most long distance hikers if they carry enough treated or filtered water from the last known good sources north or south (the chemical-laden Potomac River doesn't qualify!). I've known a lot of long distance hikers and even weekend warriors who start or end a hike on the AT at HF because of the availability of Amtrak...even some thru-hikers (those going all 2,190 miles between Georgia and Maine) who take a break from the Trail for a day or more by using the CL to get them to/from DC; MARC commuter trains also serve the same purpose on different schedules and stop in HF.
Thanks for the details. I guessed that Harpers Ferry was a re-supply and R&R stop for long-distance hikers, similar to the little town of Hot Springs, NC, near where I live. There used to be a sign intended for hikers on the wall at a (now defunct) laundromat in Hot Springs: "You must wear clothes when using the laundromat. A towel is not enough."
default_ohmy.png

As one can see by all the post on this topic there is no end to the opportunities for finding a spot to pitch a tent. But, in most popular areas it would be wise to have a reservation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the details. I guessed that Harpers Ferry was a re-supply and R&R stop for long-distance hikers, similar to the little town of Hot Springs, NC, near where I live. There used to be a sign intended for hikers on the wall at a (now defunct) laundromat in Hot Springs: "You must wear clothes when using the laundromat. A towel is not enough."
default_ohmy.png
Where HF differs from Hot Springs ... Actually, resupply opportunities right in HF -- unless doing a mail drop via the PO -- are pretty limited (the Outfitter there notwithstanding). However, up on the highway close to Charlestown there are real super markets and Walmart in addition to all sorts of other retails and services. A shuttle bus from HF, including the headquarters of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, is an inexpensive and efficient way to get there and back. BTW, when I section-hiked the AT back in the late '90s-early '00s I enjoyed Hot Springs very much. Stayed twice in fact as it was the end of one trip, beginning of another.

To keep this train-centric, I wonder how hikers are adjusting to the new "Fresh Choices" menu on the CL? Silly question. LD hikers will eat ANYTHING. They are always hungry! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back