Amtrak California Good Walking Cities?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seat38a

Engineer
Last weekend, we did a day trip to Santa Barbara on Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner. Here is the trip report.

Santa Barbara station is located right in heart of the city and you can walk to all the attractions. What other cities that Amtrak California serve, have similar features? Anyone have experience with Grover Beach?

I've stopped there on road trips (halfway between SF and LA) and gone to the Monarch park when the butterflies are in; never took the train, though.

The depot is right on Highway 1, pretty central, maybe a mile walking or by bus to the modern places on 101 but that is not why you go to a town like this. Pismo Beach state park is right there by the depot. The chamber has an office there, also Monarch Winery tasting room. The city is trying to support tourist draws (like wineries and music festivals) but a lot of things are only summer or only weekends, so do some research first if there are particular things you like to see. Walk up Grand from the depot for numerous local shops and restaurants, or down for a fancy restaurant more like you had in Santa Barbara.

The depot is also the transportation hub for buses. It is a tiny town, maybe a couple of miles across, so I don't think you need to bother with a bus unless you are staying overnight and want to go to neighboring towns. Judging from your fine Santa Barbara trip report, you do quite a bit of walking.

The Pismo Beach grove is one of the largest Monarch colonies in the country, really incredible when they are present. Right now is the tail end of the season, plus this has been a bad year, but you might phone to see if it is still worth a visit (a half-mile or so north on 1).

SubwayNut has a good website with tons of photos of Grover Beach depot.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great topic, because Hubby and I love to walk, too! We're thinking of attending an event in Ventura, and definitely don't want to rent a car. Does anyone know how the walking prospects are there?

As a side note, we tend not to go to events that are too far from home and require a car to access the event site. We prefer to take Amtrak, and then use public transit or walk.

This is a great topic, because Hubby and I love to walk, too! We're thinking of attending an event in Ventura, and definitely don't want to rent a car. Does anyone know how the walking prospects are there?

As a side note, we tend not to go to events that are too far from home and require a car to access the event site. We prefer to take Amtrak, and then use public transit or walk.
Ventura station is right next to the pier more or less. Pretty much right next door to the fair ground.

Davis is an Excellent place to Walk or Ride a Bike around! The Zephyrs, Starlight and Cal Trains all stop @ the Beautiful Old SP Station right in the Middle of Town! No Car needed! :wub:

San Diego (bot the "Old Town" Stop and the Classic Downtown Santa Fe Station Stop) is excellent also! ;)

I'm more familiar with the cities on the Capitol Corridor.

Sacramento is pretty walkable. It's on the edge of downtown, there's a shopping center a few blocks away, Old Sac is Adblock away, and there's the Sacramento River.

The various bus stops can be very walkable, like Santa Cruz or all of the San Francisco stops.

San Jose is sort of in a no mans land. There's the arena across the street but it's several blocks to anything that resembles businesses. But a half mile walk and it's downtown. I guess Oakland is, but I'm familiar with the area. It might be different for someone from out of town.

Davis is pretty good. It's a college town and a lot of people get by without a vehicle. Amtrak is a prime means of students to get there and back home.

The Berkeley station is sort of disconnected from the main parts of the city, but the individual neighborhood it's in is very walkable. There's the 4th Street shopping district. There are also some interesting places nearby like Sierra Nevada Brewery's new Torpedo Room that's literally 100 feet from the station. The original SP station building has been converted into a bar and restaurant. Tamara Sake has it's US facility a block away and they have tastings.

I'm more familiar with the cities on the Capitol Corridor.

Sacramento is pretty walkable. It's on the edge of downtown, there's a shopping center a few blocks away, Old Sac is Adblock away, and there's the Sacramento River.

The various bus stops can be very walkable, like Santa Cruz or all of the San Francisco stops.

San Jose is sort of in a no mans land. There's the arena across the street but it's several blocks to anything that resembles businesses. But a half mile walk and it's downtown. I guess Oakland is, but I'm familiar with the area. It might be different for someone from out of town.

Davis is pretty good. It's a college town and a lot of people get by without a vehicle. Amtrak is a prime means of students to get there and back home.

The Berkeley station is sort of disconnected from the main parts of the city, but the individual neighborhood it's in is very walkable. There's the 4th Street shopping district. There are also some interesting places nearby like Sierra Nevada Brewery's new Torpedo Room that's literally 100 feet from the station. The original SP station building has been converted into a bar and restaurant. Tamara Sake has it's US facility a block away and they have tastings.
Other than being the state capital, what are some of the things to do in Sacramento in terms of eating and historic things to see?

We take the Surfliner to Ventura to attend functions at the Fairgrounds which is right across the street from the station.

Speaking of Santa Barbara (and SLO I think) they have (had?) a program called "Car Free Santa Barbara"...you could get a promo code for an Amtrak discount...probably the same as the 10% AAA discount.

The Old Town San Diego station is just a short walk to the State Historical Park. A day pass on the trolley is a good deal.

Nice, fairly short walk to downtown San Luis Obispo from station.
What are some things to do, eat or see in downtown SLO?
. San Luis Mission and creekside park across the street, thriving galleries, cafés, shops. A couple of decent small museums. Great Farmers Market from 5-9p every Thursday. People in SLO are very, very friendly and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back