Amtrak 30,000 bonus points offer on World Mastercard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think there is any time limit within the year for spending the $5000 to get the 1000 TQP. You are limited to at most 4000 TQP per year using this method. This is mainly so that you cannot get any status purely using your credit card.

If AGR status is not important then probably a card like the Sapphire Reserve is better than the AGR card even for Amtrak travel and definitely for travel spanning multiple services from multiple companies in any cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
If AGR status is not important then probably a card like the Sapphire Reserve is better than the AGR card even for Amtrak travel and definitely for travel spanning multiple services from multiple companies in any cases.
Honestly, after comparing at least the CSP vs. the AGR paid card, I came to the conclusion that the AGR card had more worthwhile benefits for me, and Amtrak is by no means a primary mode of intercity travel for me. It basically came down to the fact that every dollar earns one AGR point, which I can reliably convert to 2.5 cents of value. (If I remember right, an AGR point usually comes in at around 2.9 cents per point when compared to the Value fare, but I always take a little bit off because of potential Saver fares, loss of the NARP discount, etc.) Even with the CSP transfer partners, anything above 1.25 to 1.5 cents/point required finding sweet spots in programs that weren't terribly applicable to me. The CSR does come with a bit more offerings, but the annual fee is higher ($150 after deducting the $300 credit for travel expenses) and most of the other benefits aren't selling points to me (I only fly a few times a year, so lounge access isn't crucial, and the Pre/GE reimbursement doesn't apply to me as I have NEXUS.)

That said, I rarely travel internationally, so the international redemption options don't appeal to me, and most of my domestic routes have ULCC competition that drives down the price such that redeeming points doesn't result in a good value. I'm also usually fine with cheap hotels, so it's tough to get true value out of hotel redemptions. The AGR card works because I want to take Amtrak specifically at least a time or two a year, and the Amtrak card does give a good daily spend value for AGR points/redemptions.

Honestly, after comparing at least the CSP vs. the AGR paid card, I came to the conclusion that the AGR card had more worthwhile benefits for me, and Amtrak is by no means a primary mode of intercity travel for me. It basically came down to the fact that every dollar earns one AGR point, which I can reliably convert to 2.5 cents of value. (If I remember right, an AGR point usually comes in at around 2.9 cents per point when compared to the Value fare, but I always take a little bit off because of potential Saver fares, loss of the NARP discount, etc.) Even with the CSP transfer partners, anything above 1.25 to 1.5 cents/point required finding sweet spots in programs that weren't terribly applicable to me. The CSR does come with a bit more offerings, but the annual fee is higher ($150 after deducting the $300 credit for travel expenses) and most of the other benefits aren't selling points to me (I only fly a few times a year, so lounge access isn't crucial, and the Pre/GE reimbursement doesn't apply to me as I have NEXUS.)

That said, I rarely travel internationally, so the international redemption options don't appeal to me, and most of my domestic routes have ULCC competition that drives down the price such that redeeming points doesn't result in a good value. I'm also usually fine with cheap hotels, so it's tough to get true value out of hotel redemptions. The AGR card works because I want to take Amtrak specifically at least a time or two a year, and the Amtrak card does give a good daily spend value for AGR points/redemptions.
My travel pattern is almost exactly the opposite. So it is not surprising that AGR Card is at best of marginal value to me. After moving to Florida my use of Amtrak in any form has dropped off precipitously, while my air travel both domestic and international carries on unabated.

Interesing comparison of CSP and Amtrak cards. Why not have both? Get all the perks on each, at least for one year.

Interesing comparison of CSP and Amtrak cards. Why not have both? Get all the perks on each, at least for one year.
I do have both. So yeah that works out fine. I use the AGR Card to accumulate points for free travel on Amtrak, and the other card(s) for other stuff involving international travel and such.

Okay, so...cypher me this.

I have *both* of the Amtrak Mastercards. I've built up a healthy point balance (>130,000 points), so I can go pretty much wherever I want.

If my bride applies for a card...

1) Will she be accepted (great credit score)

2) Is there any way to transfer her points to *my* account without paying ridiculous fees?

1) It is up to BOA, but if she does (and the card account is in her name and the points go to her own AGR account) she can get the bonus!

2) No there is not. But why not just redeem one way for both of you from your account, and the other way for both of you from her account?
default_huh.png

I am not certain, but I think it begins when you are approved, even though you may not receive it in the mail for a week or so! It would not be when you activate it, because you could receive it on February 15 but for some reason not decide to use (and activate it) until November 12!

re: the value of an AGR point - all the times I have checked on specific trips I want the VALUE FARE value has been 2.2 cents or less. The 2..9 cents value is from the SAVER FARE which is irrelevant because you can't get that with AGR points.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
The value rate of an AGR point varies.

The old blackout dates that were excluded are no more. However, they can be redeemed but cost more points! Thus the value rate for those dates are lower. Other redemptions also have a different value. There is no rhyme or reason.

Outside of specific peak windows, AGR points seem to redeem at 1 point for roughly every 2.9 cents on the value fare class, or current-bucket sleeper fare. If you're comparing the number of points to saver fare, then the cents that each point gets you is less. That's why I typically won't use points if I can get a saver fare and want to travel coach, and save points for sleeper redemptions or last-minute redemptions where the saver fare is no longer available.

I drop a few tenths of a penny off the 2.9 as there are discounts that I can get on the value fare or rail fare portion of a sleeper that I don't get with AGR redemptions (mainly NARP) but overall the value is still, at least mentally, around 2.5 cents/point. That's in part because I don't use points when I can book a saver fare instead, though.

Back