Amtrak (27) derailment in Washington.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AlanB said:
railfangns said:
Where have all the newer superliners amtrak bought in the mid 90s gone?Did the auto train and the coast starlight get them all?I have ridden in some of them . I noticed the sleepers are named for the states.The new coaches has light colored seats and the dining cars seats are smaller.I hope they havnt all been involved in wrecks.
No doubt many of the Superliner II cars, the newer ones, are on the Auto Train & the Coast Starlight, but others can be found throughout the system. A few have indeed been wrecked, but there are still more Superliner II's out there than the AT & the CS need.

Will the cardinal ever get its superliners back they got removed to fill in on the auto train after it had its accident.I miss the superliner lounge car while traveling through the new river gorge.
Highly unlikely, since the train now terminates in New York City. The Superliner cars won't fit through the tunnels. And all indications are that having the train run to NY does increase revenue, so it's unlikely that they'll want to switch the end point back to DC. Especially with the demise of the 3 Rivers.
Good points, not if only we could find a full service diner and enough equipment for a few daily runs we'd be set. Hopefully thanks to Gunn resuming the wreck repairs it won't be as bad of an impact to the fleet as these derailments had been in recent history.

Viewliner said:
Hopefully thanks to Gunn resuming the wreck repairs it won't be as bad of an impact to the fleet as these derailments had been in recent history.
If it wasn't for Gunn's repair program in the face of uncertain funding, we'd be busy discussing which daily run Amtrak would be eliminating thanks to this derailment. Thankfully, even though this isn't good, at least Amtrak can maintain the status quo.

However, this may well mean that Amtrak has no extra capacity for the summer months once again. :(

AmtrakFan said:
The Damage cost aren't as bad as I first feared. There are several Superliner 2 Sleepes and Lounges on the Southwest Chief A lot plus occasionally 5/6.
440,000 dollars that Amtrak isn't bad?

Do you have almost half a million dollars that you'd like to donate to Amtrak?

Amtrak can't recover those monies from the freight RR, assuming that it was their fault, which at the moment seems likely,

Even if Amtrak does get the money back from insurance, it will still take time (too much time) to repair these cars. Amtrak will loose revenue from not being able to sell seats and bedrooms in those cars this summer. Not to mention that Amtrak's insurance rates may go up.

Amtrak has no insurance covering car damage, Amtrak is self insured.

so that $440 000 comes out of general budget.

Only insurance Amtrak has is liability insurance covering lawsuits .

Today's(4-6-05) Oregonian reports that the NTSB is focusing on several items:

1. Inadequate training of the track inspector in how to deal with bad ties.

2. Paperwork procedures at BNSF that prevented the track inspector from

receiving two of the four reports that might have helped him pinpoint the

location of the track defect.

Bush will probably blow more than 440K on his trip with Clinton to the Pope's funeral. I know they won't stay at the Motel 6 and eat at McDonald's. We taken VIP's on trips all over the world and they eat like kings (lobster, caviar, etc). What a waste of money.

Back