amtrack or amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite what these self-posessed "experts" have to say, spelling is largely a matter of context. There are in excessive of over 500 results for "amtrack" on this site alone, which in itself lends credibility to the theory of "relativity" at least in terms of spelling (we're not talking Einstein, folks!). A little research reveals that in some cases it is in fact spelled with the "ck" namely when you are referring specifically to the tracks themselves of the rail network. However, when discussing the government-run agency in itself then the "c" is "removed." This at least is my understanding. Source: My former neighbor Ed used to work for the rails.
Spelling is not a matter of context, and it has nothing to do with relativity. Spelling is concrete. Just because some people spell a word wrong, that does not mean it's okay to spell a word that way.

The name of the corporation is Amtrak; the correct spelling is Amtrak. End of story.

If a few people spelled your name "Brehnda" instead of "Brenda", would you be okay with them using "Brehnda"? Of course you wouldn't.
Nobody has ever spelled my name Brendha, because is not a name so far as I know. Please don't write that.

My name is Brenda.
And Brendha, Amtrack is not a name, at least not for the national rail service, so please do not write that.

Despite what these self-posessed "experts" have to say, spelling is largely a matter of context. There are in excessive of over 500 results for "amtrack" on this site alone, which in itself lends credibility to the theory of "relativity" at least in terms of spelling (we're not talking Einstein, folks!). A little research reveals that in some cases it is in fact spelled with the "ck" namely when you are referring specifically to the tracks themselves of the rail network. However, when discussing the government-run agency in itself then the "c" is "removed." This at least is my understanding. Source: My former neighbor Ed used to work for the rails.
Oh my! Amtrak is a registered trademark, and there is no chance of it occasionally being Amtrack because some misinformed people, even 5000 of them, happen to spell it that way, even if they worked their entire life on the rails. So sorry, it is not a relative matter of context. It is what is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. And as far as the trademark registered by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation to refer to itself is concerned, it is Amtrak, and not any other variation involving a "c". End of story.

In case of doubt take a look at http://www.amtrak.com/web-notices-terms-of-use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spelling is not a matter of context, and it has nothing to do with relativity. Spelling is concrete. Just because some people spell a word wrong, that does not mean it's okay to spell a word that way.

The name of the corporation is Amtrak; the correct spelling is Amtrak. End of story.

If a few people spelled your name "Brehnda" instead of "Brenda", would you be okay with them using "Brehnda"? Of course you wouldn't.
Nobody has ever spelled my name Brendha, because is not a name so far as I know. Please don't write that.

My name is Brenda.
Well neither is Amtrack. Thank you for making my point for me.

Despite what these self-posessed "experts" have to say, spelling is largely a matter of context. There are in excessive of over 500 results for "amtrack" on this site alone, which in itself lends credibility to the theory of "relativity" at least in terms of spelling (we're not talking Einstein, folks!). A little research reveals that in some cases it is in fact spelled with the "ck" namely when you are referring specifically to the tracks themselves of the rail network. However, when discussing the government-run agency in itself then the "c" is "removed." This at least is my understanding. Source: My former neighbor Ed used to work for the rails.A
Amtrak is the registered trademark of the National Passenger Railroad Corporation and is spelled without the "C." Amtrack is a misspelling and is not a word. Ed doesn't know what he is talking about.
You can say whatever you want about me. I don't care! Call me names, make faces, push and shove me, make fun of my clothes. I just don't give a crap. Even what you say SARA (SEE I KNOW YOUR NAME TOO.)

But you've got a lot of nerve coming up in here and talking about Ed. NEVER SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ED! He was like a father to me.

Despite what these self-posessed "experts" have to say, spelling is largely a matter of context. There are in excessive of over 500 results for "amtrack" on this site alone, which in itself lends credibility to the theory of "relativity" at least in terms of spelling (we're not talking Einstein, folks!). A little research reveals that in some cases it is in fact spelled with the "ck" namely when you are referring specifically to the tracks themselves of the rail network. However, when discussing the government-run agency in itself then the "c" is "removed." This at least is my understanding. Source: My former neighbor Ed used to work for the rails.A
Amtrak is the registered trademark of the National Passenger Railroad Corporation and is spelled without the "C." Amtrack is a misspelling and is not a word. Ed doesn't know what he is talking about.
You can say whatever you want about me. I don't care! Call me names, make faces, push and shove me, make fun of my clothes. I just don't give a crap. Even what you say SARA (SEE I KNOW YOUR NAME TOO.)

But you've got a lot of nerve coming up in here and talking about Ed. NEVER SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ED! He was like a father to me.
How about you can't spell?

Brenda - Nobody called you a name. I simply said that "Amtrak" is always spelled "Amtrak" and that just because some people misspell it, that doesn't change the spelling of the word. As I said, that would be like people misspelling your name and saying it's correct, even though it isn't.

You completely missed my point.

Brehnda turned into Brendha and Sara lost her "H"!

Brehnda turned into Brendha and Sara lost her "H"!
It's all a grand conspiracy perpetrated by Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back