Amfleet I Interior Refresh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder when they're gonna finally start to repaint the exterior to match the new baggage/viewliner cars.
Why would that need to be done? The Amfleet Is are very rarely in the same consist as a baggage car, and certainly even more rarely a Viewliner. They are branded Amtrak America, since that's what they wanted to put in the theme for long hauls.
What about Crescent/Silver service? I just hate mismatched consists with a passion, all Amtrak cars/locomotives should look the same.

The first car(s) with refreshed cushions and carpets should be appearing imminently. Process appears like it can be completed swiftly, less than 24 hours. Pull up old carpet, lay down new carpet, pull off old cushions, drop on new ones. Bear in mind that when cars start appearing, they are not finished yet. There will be a round two for wainscoting and bulkheads.

I am curious as to what the "refreshed galley area" actually means. Anything beyond cosmetic could take some time and talent. Of course, in that area, and under the bathroom floors, there can always be hidden damage uncovered. That is actually fairly common in aircraft overhaul in galley and bathroom areas.

Wonder when they're gonna finally start to repaint the exterior to match the new baggage/viewliner cars.
Why would that need to be done? The Amfleet Is are very rarely in the same consist as a baggage car, and certainly even more rarely a Viewliner. They are branded Amtrak America, since that's what they wanted to put in the theme for long hauls.
I think a legitimate case can be made to restripe the Amfleet IIs in the Amtrak America livery, since that is where they are meant to be used (mostly). However, that does not necessarily mean it should be a high priority item. It is a nice to have but not necessary to have item. Interior refurbishment is way more important.

What about Crescent/Silver service? I just hate mismatched consists with a passion, all Amtrak cars/locomotives should look the same.
Like Jis said, I agree the Amfleet IIs should be repainted with the Amtrak America livery, but that's about it.

The Amfleet Is, the ones getting refurbished, are only on Regionals, and other short haul trains. They are rarely put with Amfleet IIs or Viewliner cars, which are typically only found on long hauls.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I am curious as to what the "refreshed galley area" actually means. Anything beyond cosmetic could take some time and talent. Of course, in that area, and under the bathroom floors, there can always be hidden damage uncovered. That is actually fairly common in aircraft overhaul in galley and bathroom areas.
There have been rumors of moving to refrigeration setups like the Acelas, which is essentially airline style roll on/roll off carts. It would make for much easier loading/stripping of trains, but I find the units to be a lot more unstable operationally as opposed to the units on the current Amfleet foodservice cars.

WPIX-11 did a short segment on the project on last night's evening news. Nothing not already covered here, but nice to see the mostly positive mention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no center armrests, even in business class. Really?
Are you willing to sacrifice seat width for that? People in this very thread would start losing it over reducing seat width for any reason. Only way to keep the seat width (or even increase it) is to go to 2x1 seating for all business class cars, cutting capacity by 15 seats, meaning fares would have to go up by 25% to bring the same fare potential per car. Then less passengers would upgrade, leading to....well, who knows.
Yes, I would in a heartbeat. A fold down armrest doesn't even need to take out width from the seat cushion, and I would far rather have the privacy of some form of barrier between seatmates. If 2x2 seating with armrests is possible on the Acela, which is narrower than Amfleets, there is absolutely no reason why it can't be replicated at least in business class in Amfleet equipment.

If they were buying new seats, one of the slim fold up armrests would be nice. No good way to do it as a retrofit on an existing seat frame that isn't time consuming or costly. Certainly worth considering on anything new. Brightline is using them. Drawings of the Acela replacement cars show them, but time will tell.

Like Jis said, I agree the Amfleet IIs should be repainted with the Amtrak America livery, but that's about it.
The Amfleet Is, the ones getting refurbished, are only on Regionals, and other short haul trains. They are rarely put with Amfleet IIs or Viewliner cars, which are typically only found on long hauls.

My bad, thought both of them were getting refurbished.

I think the cup holders are only for the stadium setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Agreed...they are not even a well...just a flat surface to rest the cups on...besides, those white structures are just part of the seat mounting, to move the seats around...they would not be present when the seats were installed in the cars....

The seats look similar to what I recall in the present cars...even the permanently closed ashtrays, and the plugs where the control for a legrest would project from....

I assume that's part of a Mets promotion where two fans in nosebleed seats get to move to a closer, more comfortable seat? Cool that they got Amtrak involved -- when I've seen other teams do that, it's usually a furniture store that gets the advertising.

I think that picture was probably taken during a regular Mets game--nobody in the seats this year! :p

Seriously, the seats do look better in this photo than they did in the earlier rendition. Footrests would be nice, but that's probably only Amfleet II that gets them?

Back