Alarm/Wake-Up Call in Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Road

Service Attendant
I've mentioned it before, but I'm taking the CL CHI-WAS in March for my first Amtrak trip longer than a NER run.

I can easily sleep until noon if undisturbed (assuming I can sleep in a coach seat, that is) but I don't want to miss the scenery, which seems like it begins right after COV. COV is a 6:35 am departure (or thereabouts) if on time. So do conductors ever do wake-ups? Or can I set the alarm on my cell phone? If it's too loud, I might anger a lot of other people.

Or then again, maybe I just won't fall asleep.
laugh.gif

Can you set just a vibrate alarm on your phone? I don't see a problem with using an alarm so long as it doesn't wake the entire car of folks near you who are still trying to sleep.

Can you set just a vibrate alarm on your phone? I don't see a problem with using an alarm so long as it doesn't wake the entire car of folks near you who are still trying to sleep.
I can, but I should test it first next weekend to see if it will actually wake me up.

I doubt vibrate would work well; the train itself would overpower it.

My suggestions are to wear headphones and see whether the alarm will play only through them, or just wake at PGH (as you're likely to anyway) and make a heroic attempt to stay up all the way to WAS.

Yes, conductors do wake-up calls for those detraining during the night, usually 30 minutes before the stop. However, I highly doubt they will for a continuing passenger. (Mainly because the conductor at 10 PM may not be the same one as at 6 AM - they switch every 6-7 hours!) I myself usually wake up myself on a train around 6 AM or so. (At home, I easily sleep till 10 or 11 AM!)

I would not count on a courtesy wake-up call at all.

On one of my journeys, there was a blind woman across the isle, complete with a seeing eye service dog. She specifically asked the conductor to tell her when the train arrived at her stop. The conductor even put a third, special, seat check up on the rack denoting the request.

When her stop came, no conductor. :angry:

Because we were chatting during the journey, I knew where she was getting off, and thus I was able to tell her. :rolleyes:

I sleep so poorly in coach that I've never had this problem. I'm usually awake by 5:30 and counting the minutes until I can go buy a cup of coffee. And yes, the best scenery starts south of Connellsville. The other posters are right, you're not going to get a wake-up call from the conductor.

I've never taken the Capitol Limited in coach, but on the Empire Builder you are pretty much guaranteed to be woken at a very early hour by some idiot yammering, or rather bellowing, into his cellphone. I write "his," because in my experience it's always a guy using his outdoor voice. I wouldn't worry about missing the scenery.

I've never taken the Capitol Limited in coach, but on the Empire Builder you are pretty much guaranteed to be woken at a very early hour by some idiot yammering, or rather bellowing, into his cellphone. I write "his," because in my experience it's always a guy using his outdoor voice. I wouldn't worry about missing the scenery.

Don't know if it's the same for all trains, but I was on the Crescent last week, and took a walk through the cars after breakfast. As I was walking through the still darkened coach at 6:59 AM, a crewmember got on the PA and made an announcement to the effect of "per amtrak policy we will now turn on the overhead lights. Breakfast is available in the dining car, etc etc etc". Announcement was made, and lights switched on at 0700 on the dot. I assume if it's Amtrak Policy, then it's done with some regularity on all trains. But, as others said, it's never been a problem for me-I tend to sleep too poorly on the train, even in a sleeper car, to sleep much past 6. In coach, I can only assume I'd be up by default.....

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a light sleeper, the following will have you up at 6 AM:

-Toddlers crying as they wake up

-People whispering to each other

-Snack bags crinkling as the insomniacs eat crackers/chips. (That woke me up two trips ago.)

-That one person who can't figure out how to switch off the "key click" noise on their iPad. (The last trip I took.)

-The dining car attendant announcing that there is a waiting list for breakfast, as the line is too long. (Same trip.)

:cool:

(Sorcha has issues sleeping in coach.)

Sorcha, you crack me up!

Maybe some Ambien would be a good idea for your next trip?

Sorcha, you crack me up!

Oh, we usually ride in a roomette. Boyfriend was being stubborn the past couple trips because they were "only one night", and the rooms were already high-bucket by the time we bought our tickets. I told him I'm never doing coach for an overnight trip ever again, no matter how much it costs, I'll pay for it, etc. He finally caved after dealing with a sleep-deprived Sorcha. We're booking roomettes for all future trips. Can't say I didn't warn him. ;)

I rode in coach a few times before that. Pills, earplugs, sleeping mask... none of it worked. I'm one of the lightest sleepers EVER.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorcha said:
1327369653[/url]' post='342590']
jb64 said:
1327358418[/url]' post='342549']Sorcha, you crack me up!

Oh, we usually ride in a roomette. Boyfriend was being stubborn the past couple trips because they were "only one night", and the rooms were already high-bucket by the time we bought our tickets. I told him I'm never doing coach for an overnight trip ever again, no matter how much it costs, I'll pay for it, etc. He finally caved after dealing with a sleep-deprived Sorcha. We're booking roomettes for all future trips. Can't say I didn't warn him. ;)

I rode in coach a few times before that. Pills, earplugs, sleeping mask... none of it worked. I'm one of the lightest sleepers EVER.
You sound like the opposite of me.. I once slept through the fire alarm at a hotel in Chicago. (Luckily it was only due to burnt toast.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back