AGR Spring/National Train Day Promotion coming 3/18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Facebook, Amtrak talks of a big surprise on Monday.........

It’s coming! We’ve got a big surprise for you, making its reveal on Monday. Each day will bring a new clue, so play along, make a guess and join the fun! #AllAboard

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the pixelated picture looks like some kind of bridge with a moveable segment crossing water into an urbanized area. Portal bridge replacement maybe?

Watch the nearest Amtrak engine carefully: White exhaust smoke signals the selection of a new Amtrak route.

Watch the nearest Amtrak engine carefully: White exhaust smoke signals the selection of a new Amtrak route.
Ha!

Whatever the announcement is I'm sure it will be made live from The Beverly Hilton Hotel by Michelle Obama and Tom Bergeron!

I posted this over in the AGR board earlier this morning, but Amtrak is announcing a new AGR promotion on Monday. I verified this via twitter:

@natltrainday

"stay tuned for an Amtrak Guest Rewards promotion announcement on 3/18!"

https://twitter.com/...&nid=27 234&t=1

It would not surprise me if they modified the terms so that connections between trains counted as a new zone regardless of geographical location. That's not to say that the next announcement is related to that however.

It sounds like the AGR promotion is geared towards travel on National Train Day, and not a year-round change.

I don't know what to make of that pixelated photo. It does look like trackwork or a bridge, but I don't think they'd make that big of a deal about any kind of roadbed improvement unless it drastically improved travel time. It might possibly be an interior space - a new/refurbished Metropolitan Lounge, perhaps?

A lot of the commenters on facebook seem to think that it is the new Niantic River bridge near New London, CT.

A lot of the commenters on facebook seem to think that it is the new Niantic River bridge near New London, CT.
What possibly could be the big announcement about the new Niantic River bridge? The trains moved to the new bridge last fall. The only news would be the completion of the removal of the old bridge.

Doubtful that the "big announcement" will have anything to do with tracks, bridges, or new projects. That may interest rail fans, but not the general public. It is rather unlikely that Amtrak is going to announce that it found $500 million in a forgotten bank account and is placing an order with CAF for Amfleet II replacements. :p

It is probably going to be a new marketing promotion or campaign, something to do with AGR. Meanwhile, we have a series of pixelated picture clues to look at through Monday for entertainment.

[SIZE=14.399999618530273px] [/SIZE]Meanwhile, we have a series of pixelated picture clues to look at through Monday for entertainment.
And you know what, folks, it just don't get any better than that! :wacko: ~ :p

What possibly could be the big announcement about the new Niantic River bridge? The trains moved to the new bridge last fall. The only news would be the completion of the removal of the old bridge.

Doubtful that the "big announcement" will have anything to do with tracks, bridges, or new projects. That may interest rail fans, but not the general public. It is rather unlikely that Amtrak is going to announce that it found $500 million in a forgotten bank account and is placing an order with CAF for Amfleet II replacements. :p

It is probably going to be a new marketing promotion or campaign, something to do with AGR. Meanwhile, we have a series of pixelated picture clues to look at through Monday for entertainment.
Absolutely NOTHING, that's just the photo they used on FB.

Can someone post the photo? I don't facebook.
60443_10151463637634014_1591090364_n.jpg

Id Guess that the Spring/NTD AGR Double/Triple Point Promo will be Announced that Day! Lets hope. if so, they dont Limit the Triple Points to 2 Trips a Day like Last Year! ;)
I agree and I've been waiting for that promo.

Personally, I don't think they'd call it a 'big announcement' if it was something that only a certain segment of Amtrak pax would be interested in or even know about - Niantic River Bridge, ... what?

I agree and I've been waiting for that promo.
Personally, I don't think they'd call it a 'big announcement' if it was something that only a certain segment of Amtrak pax would be interested in or even know about - Niantic River Bridge, ... what?
Well... actually, it may be a fairly small "certain segment" of Amtrak travelers who are going to take multiple rides on National Train Day to get extra AGR points too ... I am an AGR member, but have no idea of doing that... I am hoping for something entirely new and different ... but I have no idea what. That's what a surprise is, isn't it?

Looks like a big boulder rolling down tracks your train is on. And the poor engineer capturing the picture before he is crushed.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was a surprise re-opening of the sunset limited past New Orleans to Jacksonville? I know wishful thinking.
That was my second thought. My third thought however, is the bridge looks a little like the St. John's River Bridge in Jacksonville, so maybe some new agreement on FEC service. It also looks a little like the Hellgate bridge.

Back