AGR Credit Cards

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, there is no limit but they approve a charge based on your ability to pay.
Not true.

NPSL cards aren't like charge cards. They have a credit limit, it's just not a hard credit limit, like the platinum card would have.

For a standard card, you cannot excede the credit limit. If you try to charge something that will put you over, it will be denied. Full stop.

For an NPSL card, the issuer may allow you to excede the assigned credit limit. Whether you are allowed to do that is totally at the discretion of the issuer, and the decision is usually made on a case-by-case basis. Your ability to pay only has to do with the decision in as much as they'd like to be paid back, like they always do.

I don't really see the advantage of an AGR card over a CSP. I guess the big difference is that the CSP has an annual fee (waived for the first year), but there are more earning opportunities with it (2x points on all travel, and dining), and you can also use the points on airlines and hotels. You also get a much larger signup bonus (40,000 vs 12-18,000). To me, the annual fee is worth it for those reasons. If you pair it with a Chase Freedom card, your earning potential is even greater.
I think that you're missing that this isn't an either/or situation. You can have both the AGR MC and a CSP.

The AGR card has no fee and has positive benefits. So, there's no cost for holding it, and Chase will happily give you points for applying.

I have two Freedom cards and earn practically all of my points for AGR rewards through Ultimate Rewards, but still have the AGR MC. I rarely use it, but I still get all of the benefits.

Personally I hold about 40 different credit cards. I don't have any with a fee. If you aren't of the type who tends to give in to temptation on using available credit you can't pay back, I suggest trying to get a new credit card every 3 months or so and keep on getting them.. There is no such thing as too much credit if you can control yourself.

FWIW, Chase will defraud you if you try to pay your credit card bills by check; they will lie about receipt of payment. (This is known as the MBNA fraud after the first major company which got caught doing it.) I will not do business with fraudsters such as Chase if I can possibly help it.

FWIW, Chase will defraud you if you try to pay your credit card bills by check; they will lie about receipt of payment. (This is known as the MBNA fraud after the first major company which got caught doing it.) I will not do business with fraudsters such as Chase if I can possibly help it.
I wouldn't do business with them either, one of the most bitcoin unfriendly banks. The moment they see you doing transactions with Coinbase / Bitstamp / localbitcoins etc. they come and close your checking accounts.

As a long time Chase customer, I must say your evaluations are a bit one-sided. I have had no problems paying my cc balances with checks. Our local Chase bank has friendly customer service and they have always been helpful in solving any problem that arose.

I have read some interesting articles about safety, security of using bitcoins process. I will leave that stuff to the computer wizards out there. Just give me a bank with a friendly teller and I will be happy. :p

I've never had a problem with Chase. I think that they are one of the better big banks out there, especially since they didn't take, or even need, a bailout.

I use PNC for business and some dipshit small bank called 3rd Fed, which took over my local bank, and all I can say about it is I am Fed up. I gotta get to figuring out which other banks are easy transit accessible for my wife.

I've never had a problem with Chase. I think that they are one of the better big banks out there, especially since they didn't take, or even need, a bailout.
I also never had problem with Chase -- they do hold my mortgage - but that don't bias me. And they've never done the minor ripoff things that banks do -- to me anyhow.

I've had several banks, and more medical providers, try the "did't see your payment" scam (where they got the money from me, or insurance, and then sold the account as unpaid to unscruplous lawyers named Seierstad) . Actually dealing with one right now in Minnesota (a state that unbelievably grants total rights to the buyers of undocumented accts rcvbl -- like the right to sue with no documentation whatever on accounts receivable that anybody writes up and sells to any unscrupulous lawyer. -- happened to me.)

None of my banks has ever co-operated with these local medical-lawyer scams -- or any other.

Suggest consider local rip-off political conditions.

But Chase never posted my check payments late - ever.

So I disagree Nate - Chase hasn't bothered me yet - the last 15 years all in order.

We use the AGR card for train related expenses and many other things. Use Chase Marriott Card for hotels and some travel expenses, and AmEx for car rentals (fantastic primary insurance coverage on that one). Works great keeping AGR points active and getting the 5% rebate when using points.

Got too many points currently....need to get some time off to use some up! :)

We use the AGR card for train related expenses and many other things. Use Chase Marriott Card for hotels and some travel expenses, and AmEx for car rentals (fantastic primary insurance coverage on that one). Works great keeping AGR points active and getting the 5% rebate when using points.

You have a fellow Texan that would be more than happy to relieve you of the burden of carrying all those extra points. :D

You have a fellow Texan that would be more than happy to relieve you of the burden of carrying all those extra points. :D
HA! I didn't say that I did not WANT to use them, just need to figure out how to manage the time to use them. If I were to be giving them away, it would need to be to someone far curvier than that fellow Texan you speak of!! :giggle:

HA! I didn't say that I did not WANT to use them, just need to figure out how to manage the time to use them. If I were to be giving them away, it would need to be to someone far curvier than that fellow Texan you speak of!! :giggle:
*goes looking for an old pic of myself*:p

Back