Advice on taking the Canadian?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Canadian sleeping cars have two communal toilets -- one for men and one for women. On my last trip on the Canadian, I was the only male among the 6 beds available in the open sections, so I effectively had my own toilet, albeit just down the hall from my upper berth.

The Canadian sleeping cars have two communal toilets -- one for men and one for women. On my last trip on the Canadian, I was the only male among the 6 beds available in the open sections, so I effectively had my own toilet, albeit just down the hall from my upper berth.
Ah, well let's just pretend all 6 berths were filled, and there were balanced men and women numbers. Basically there would be a toilet for every three passengers, even in open sections, and they are probably larger than the in-room toilets, so I think toilet accessibility is really no advantage for the more expensive rooms.

Especially considering the sections have the widest berths.

A few more questions.....

I'm considering switching to a lower berth, considering I'll still have a window at night. However, how much space will I have for a carry-on bag? I know the Cabin has a rack, but can I just put my bag under the Berth's bed? Along with that, if I were to need something from a bag during the trip, could I access it in the baggage car?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more questions.....

I'm considering switching to a lower berth, considering I'll still have a window at night. However, how much space will I have for a carry-on bag? I know the Cabin has a rack, but can I just put my bag under the Berth's bed? Along with that, if I were to need something from a bag during the trip, could I access it in the baggage car?
I've ridden in both upper and lower berths. In the upper berth, there isn't a whole lot of room for your carry on, but in the lower booth, the chair back at the end of your bed opposite your head folds over, and you can use that space to put your bags. I had lots of room for my duffle bag. As for accessing the baggage car, I'm not sure. There was a couple with a cat on the train in the baggage car, and they were given permission to go back and feed / visit the cat, but I'm not sure if anyone can just go back and access their bags. Probably best to bring a carry on with what you need.

Go for the Lower Berth, worth it for the window and as was said for a little extra space! The Lower also gets the facing forward seat in day time configuration but you'll spend the time you're awake in the Park Car, Dome Car and the Diner!

VIA is strict with luggage, just carry on what you'll need for the trip, chances are you Won't be able to access your checked luggage except possibly in Winnipeg during the long layover and crew change!

Reminds me of the "Silver Streak" scene when the fight gets chased into the baggage car and then Gene Wilder climbs up onto the roof and gets swiped off. :)

That movie was filmed with a "Canadian" trainset, the same exact trainset is still in service with VIA but with newer (late-1980s) locomotives. I think that fight was filmed somewhere on the Crowsnest route IIRC.

Reminds me of the "Silver Streak" scene when the fight gets chased into the baggage car and then Gene Wilder climbs up onto the roof and gets swiped off. :)

That movie was filmed with a "Canadian" trainset, the same exact trainset is still in service with VIA but with newer (late-1980s) locomotives. I think that fight was filmed somewhere on the Crowsnest route IIRC.
At least some of the initial fight (where they fight on the roof of the train and knock a "signal bridge" sideways) was filmed on Kicking Horse Pass on the CP mainline. Clearly not all of the scenes were on the mainline, though. The platform scene at "Los Angeles" was filmed at the old CP Vancouver station (now Waterfront Station). "Chicago", where the grinning locomotive smashed through the station is Toronto Union Station.

At least some of the initial fight (where they fight on the roof of the train and knock a "signal bridge" sideways) was filmed on Kicking Horse Pass on the CP mainline. Clearly not all of the scenes were on the mainline, though. The platform scene at "Los Angeles" was filmed at the old CP Vancouver station (now Waterfront Station). "Chicago", where the grinning locomotive smashed through the station is Toronto Union Station.
Are you sure that was the Kicking Horse Pass and not Crowsnest Pass? Looks more like Crowsnest to me, maybe around Pincher Creek, looking at contour maps.

Fun fact: "Kansas City" was filmed with Calgary.

Thanks for the illustrations NS Via Fan! This is definitely a bucket list item for me! It would be a pricey trip and one I would want to take in the winter, since I think it would be amazing.

One of my hardest choices is between the upper and lower berths and the cabin for 2. Obviously the Cabin for 2 would be much better and I'm just not seeing any place to secure personal items. Is there any place or is it really wide open? For that reason alone, I would lean towards the more expensive but more secure Cabin for 2.

You wanted advice, you get it: As soon as VIA lets me move in permanently I'll change my address to VIA 1 and enjoy my own private zip code ;) .

Security is not an issue on the Canadian - so it does not really matter whether you book open sections or a bedroom. Bedrooms, however offer the advantage of two chairs and a private restroom. Also, shaving (probably not your first issue in the morning) and brushing teeth is a lot nicer if you can do it in your own room. The room itself wasn't of a great importance to me, as I spent a lot of time in the Park Car or one of the other Dome Cars. They do a lot of beer and wine tasting, pub quizzes and other stuff there.

Car numbers usually start around 110 and go up to 123 (should be the park car), if you want to stay close to the park car try to get a car numbered around 120. On luggage: I experienced VIA to be Canadian "strict" on luggage, if you don't require any assistance they probably won't bother you - however I recommend to pack light and put the majority of your stuff into checked baggage.

The diner is amazing, probably the best I've ever been to (with the possible exception of Indian Railway's Mumbai Rajdhani) After this experience, you will never want to deal with Amfood again. Also, when boarding in Toronto, be there a bit earlier as they hand out dining car reservations in the departure lounge.

Thanks for the advice everyone - I managed to nab the recent sale, and get a Cabin for One for a hair under 800 USD. One question though - I'm in Car 115, Cabin 4. Is this a Manor or a Chateau?

Thanks for the advice everyone - I managed to nab the recent sale, and get a Cabin for One for a hair under 800 USD. One question though - I'm in Car 115, Cabin 4. Is this a Manor or a Chateau?
In all likelyhood it will be a Manor Car, but you won't know for sure until aboard - or try calling VIA and asking.. They usually use Manors, but there were some Chateau used for a tour group this last trip. Since Chateau have 6 singles, if you had rooms 5 or 6, you would be in a Chateau.

The Manors have standard Roomettes and the Chateau sleepers have Duplex Roomettes which are a bit smaller and half are two steps up above the others. VIA now sells both types as Cabin For One

Image.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Image%20(2).jpg

That also reminds me that the CP Budd Sleepers were built to very special configurations. I mean, many Budd Sleepers were 10Rm-6Br, 22Rm, or 11-Br, I believe, with some variations and the like. Probably also ke 4-4-2, 6-6-4, etc. But I don't think any other Budd Sleepers were ever built to the CP configurations. Anyone know why?

On my trip last February in the upper berth of an open section, I never felt any concern about the security of my belongings. And, from Vancouver to Winnipeg (where the SCAs and dining crew are replaced), I felt extra secure because the SCA for my Manor sleeper and the one immediately behind me was being serviced by just one attendant, so he asked me to learn the security procedures for opening the exit door at the end of my car in the event that an emergency evacuation of the train was required. Being a big rail buff didn't hurt my understanding -- I already had experience some years ago with opening my own car doors on the tourist train between Alamosa and Antonito that connects with the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic steam train.

My return trip from Antonito to Alamosa that day (which runs as a mixed train with freight in front and a couple passenger cars in the rear) had just TWO passengers (including me), so NO staff were aboard the train for that return leg. When the train arrived Alamosa, the engineer gave one long toot on the horn to indicate that the brakes were set and the train was stopped. I then opened the doors and trap, put down a step stool for me and my fellow passenger (who used a cane with somewhat impaired mobility) and off we went.

4 days to travel - pretty exciting. I've got a few last minute questions, though!

First of all, when I first board in Toronto, what is there to do? Do I just wait for a ticket check in my room, like on Amtrak? I've heard there's a reception in the Park Car, which interests me, and I'm wondering when it would start. In addition, does the Skyline car cafe stay open during the night?

When you arrive at Toronto Union Station go to the Panorama Lounge. Your ticket/boarding pass will be scanned then just relax.....complementary coffee/tea/juice etc is available. Boarding begins about a half hour to 45 min before departure. Head up to the train, stow your gear in your room then make your way to the Park Car for Champagne Reception as the train departs. Enjoy!

(I don’t believe the Skyline Cafe remains open at night but there's usually coffee left out in the Park Car)

On my eastbound trip on the Canadian out of Vancouver, all of the sleeping car passengers (who have their own lounge in the Vancouver station) were invited to go immediately to the Park Car on the end of the train after depositing their luggage at their sleeping accommodation. Tickets were checked as we left the station to walk down the platform to the train. The sleeping car attendant checked our name off on his manifest and directed us to the proper car and room.

In the Park Car, we were provided complimentary champagne and sweets to get our trip started. There was no dinner service that evening out of Vancouver, but I seem to remember (through the haze of a couple glasses of champagne) that there were some sandwich halves available for all of us in the Park Car, in addition to the sweets. Regular, 3 meal per day service started the next morning.

On my eastbound trip on the Canadian out of Vancouver, all of the sleeping car passengers (who have their own lounge in the Vancouver station) were invited to go immediately to the Park Car on the end of the train after depositing their luggage at their sleeping accommodation. Tickets were checked as we left the station to walk down the platform to the train. The sleeping car attendant checked our name off on his manifest and directed us to the proper car and room.

In the Park Car, we were provided complimentary champagne and sweets to get our trip started. There was no dinner service that evening out of Vancouver, but I seem to remember (through the haze of a couple glasses of champagne) that there were some sandwich halves available for all of us in the Park Car, in addition to the sweets. Regular, 3 meal per day service started the next morning.
I think this is pretty much spot on. I don't remember there being sweets served at the opening reception (they might have been, not something I'd remember as I'm not big on sweets) in the Park Car, but I do remember canapes being served. They where not enough to fill up on for dinner though. I brought some 'to go' food with me onboard - stuff that didn't need refrigeration - and ate it in my room after the reception. On my trip in May, we had musicians who played at various times on the trip from VAC to TWO, and they played on the back outdoor patio of the sleeping car pax waiting area while we where waiting to board.

I took Canadian Train #1 last September from Toronto to Vancouver and again train #2 from Vancouver, to Toronto. I enjoyed with my berth. It is bigger than roomette. The foods were very good and dining room look neat with big windows and chairs. I spend a lot of time in dome car and Park Car in rear. They have activity program. I have more fun there than Amtrak. I bought on 75 percent sale last Summer for Sept trip. Also I bought ticket on 50 percent off in January for May trip. I will come back there again. I like to go there during off season because they are slower. My first trip was crowds. My second trip it was not crowd and was easy to find empty seat in dome car or Bullet Lounge in Park Car. :mellow:

Thanks for the advice everyone - it was a *wonderful* trip. Beyond my expectations. Made good friends and had a good time. Was kind of disappointed by the Trench - been through the high parts of Smoky Mountains many times (It's a must-do - amazing to see Ashville, NC from up on the mountain highway), seen that kind of scenery alot (guilty to say I watched a movie in the Skyline for a good bit of the Trench after Pyramid Falls). First half of the Rockies and Vancouver, along with the rest of the trip, were AMAZING. The Trench was too, just kind of repetitive for me.

Planning to go back this winter! I'm curious, however, when's the best time to go in winter? I was thinking around Christmas, but I'm interested in a time when it's decently busy so I'm not alone on the train.

Thanks for the advice everyone - it was a *wonderful* trip. Beyond my expectations. Made good friends and had a good time. Was kind of disappointed by the Trench - been through the high parts of Smoky Mountains many times (It's a must-do - amazing to see Ashville, NC from up on the mountain highway), seen that kind of scenery alot (guilty to say I watched a movie in the Skyline for a good bit of the Trench after Pyramid Falls). First half of the Rockies and Vancouver, along with the rest of the trip, were AMAZING. The Trench was too, just kind of repetitive for me.

Planning to go back this winter! I'm curious, however, when's the best time to go in winter? I was thinking around Christmas, but I'm interested in a time when it's decently busy so I'm not alone on the train.
Had a lovely trip last February, Toronto to Vancouver. Train not crowded, but not empty either. Beautiful snowy scenery, and considerably more daylight time than you'll have around Christmas.

I concur with the suggestion to travel in February. Enough people on the train to sit with someone different at every meal, plus substantially more daylight then traveling in December or January. Still plenty cold, however. Especially in the Edmonton-to-Winnipeg section of the route.

Back