Advice needed: What are the best small town stops on the Amtrak System

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget if you choose Harper's Ferry (or Martinsburg) there's rush hour peak direction commuter rail service into DC and its suburbs.

This thread is an example of why this site is the best: MANY great ideas, and I'm researching all of them. Thanks everyone--now the only challenge will be deciding which town to choose, and that's a very good problem to have.

So many great replies to this question, like Dwight said! I came back and here was two pages of great suggestions. Was glad to hear Santa Barbara mentioned as an idea for a stop on the Coast Starlight. I have definitely thought of using points to go there for a night or two.

Nice to hear people saying good things about Spokane too. I was at the Worlds Fair in the early seventies when I was a kid, other than that changed trains there once, haven't spent any time there. I keep meeting nice people who are from there though. Might be fun to take a look around . .

THANKS you guys for all your great ideas!

I'll have to vote for Charlottesville, VA as well. I grew up there. If you have time to spare this is one of those cities you can just walk around and get lost in the history. It's big enough that you won't run out of stuff to do but small enough you won't feel like you're a grain of sand at the beach.

The original Main Street has been bricked over and turned into a pedestrian mall, known as the Downtown Mall- they've since planted trees in the middle and it's just well, quaint. All the old buildings along main street from the early 1900s still line the street yet new businesses and restaurants occupy them. At the West end their is a concert pavilion and every Friday they have "Friday's After Five" where after 5pm a huge turn out of the population comes out for a free concert. Usually they have a beer truck or two also :)

Charlottesville is unique in the fact that probably more than 75% of the businesses there are "mom and pop" shops, not chains, and if they are a chain it's locally owned, not by a mega corporation. You'll still find chipotle and mcdonalds but the majority of places are individually owned and operated and everyone who lives there understands that you need to support local business in order to keep the local economy flowing. It's been rated as one of the best places to start your own business and succeed.

At the East end of the Downtown Mall is my favorite restaurant "Es Cafe" serving awesome original dishes and a full bar. You can stay at the Omni hotel which is adjacent to the Downtown Mall which is pretty neat, across from this is a indoor ice skating rink too.

The Boars Head Inn is also a nice place to stay and they used to do a lot of Hot Air Balloon launching from there as well... Def something worth doing so you can take in the scenery and see how Charlottesville is nestled in between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Appalachians.

You'll of course want to do some history sight seeing as well, you're in the prime spot if you're there - Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home (back of every Nickle) is down the street as is Ash Lawn, home of James Monroe. And, of course you can't go up there without stopping in for a bite n drink at Michie's Tavern; an 18th Century Inn.

If you're a wine person you can of course check out the abundance of vineyards in the area as well, Virginia actually boasts a large number of well know vineyards.

Charlottesville even has it's own Observatory! McCormick Observatory.

If you're an art person you may want to check out the McGuffy Art Gallery as well. If you like races, you might want to conincide your trip with the Fox Field Races, its a spectacle in itself.

As for resturants and bars there's so many, but I think my top favorite ones would be

Es Cafe

La Cocina del Sol

C & O Restaurant (upscale)They make the Best Greyhound Drink, fresh squeezed juice for a mixer!

The White Spot (Good greasy Cheese Burger sometimes cooked by Elvis, the one that didn't leave the building)

Tokyo Rose if you like Sushi

Revolutionary Soup for the best of fresh made soup daily n more.

If you're feeling mexican check out Guadalajara.

and what Charlottesville adventure is complete without a trip to the FAMOUS Bodo's where the bagels are always warm and fresh when you order.

You'll also want to check out St Maarten, ZoCaLo, Star Hill, Orbit Billyards and South Street Brewery as some of the great watering holes.

Omni Hotel

Boars Head Inn

Monticello

Ash Lawn

Michie Tavern

McCormick Observatory

Fox Field Races

Virginia Wine

The orginal C & O Station still stands but has been turned into a business center still kind of neat to see, and it's at the end of the Downtown Mall.

That should keep ya busy for a bit, hope this helps!

Would also recommend Charlottesville, VA for all the reason already listed, and it is the home of The University of Virginia (my alma mater). If you are interested in even smaller, I would recommend Staunton, VA which is one stop before Charlottesville on the Cardinal. Staunton is a great Victorian town with several B & B's and a restored roaring 20's hotel all within walking distance of the station. It also boasts a world-class Shakespeare theatre as well as many other great attractions. If you rent a car, nearby is the Shenandoah National Park for beautiful mountain vistas as well as many historic sites. You can google it for more info.

Greensburg, PA is a nice little place with a cute downtown, a mall if you need one, (and a liquor store within walking distance of the station). There is also a very nice restaurant that shares the station.

It's not exactly a small town stop, but one could easily spend a couple of days at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. The Amtrak station is about two miles east of the museum (although I've never walked it and it doesn't look too pedestrian-friendly from the map). There appear to be several reasonable hotels near the museum, although only a couple look walkable from the museum.

(On second thought, it IS a small town stop -- part of the Henry Ford Museum is Greenfield Village, a small town of historic buildings moved from their original sites to Dearborn. These historic buildings include Edison's laboratory and the Wright Cycle Company.)

I'm not sure what else there is to do in Dearborn, as all I've ever done in that town is go to the Henry Ford Museum (three times, so far).

Although I've never stopped off there on a train trip, I was VERY impressed with Spokane Washington when I visited there a number of years ago for a convention. I thought the city was really lovely, with its Riverfront Park and the Spokane Falls right downtown. It's a very cosmopolitan city, with museums, art galleries, and loads of interesting restaurants downtown. I've always thought I'd like to go back there for a visit. :)

Spokane was the site of the 1974 World's Fair ~ the smallest city ever to host one at that time.

I have to give Spokane a plug as well. Of course, I'm biased.......I've lived within an hour or so of Spokane all my life. <_< For railroad buffs, the Clock Tower in Riverfront Park was once part of the Great Northern Railway depot, which was torn down to make way for Expo '74. Thank goodness a large group of conservation advocates fought to save the Clock Tower. To see a representative sampling of the sights around Spokane, rent a car and take the City Drive, a 32 mile driving tour of the area.

This thread has given me a lot of information and I hate to see it fade into oblivion. I'd like to be able to find what all of you have said about the Best Small Towns any time I get the urge to take a trip.

I feel there are probably plenty others who feel as I do.

This forum has a spot that I'd enourage all of the above folks to post on to tell about their favorite places. It's called "What to See and Where" and is divided into sections of the country.

That way all of this valuable information you've all given us won't end up on page 1000.

Thanks,

Betty

Glenwood Springs CO hands down! Their city bus service is free, the town is only around 6000 people, beautiful train trip going to and from GSC, little to no crime, no pollution and lots of small stores to shop/browse at. Really cool Hot Springs Pool too! Railfan? Hotel Denver! Budget traveller? Glenwood Motor Lodge! Barebones traveller? Glenwood Springs Hostel!

www.glenwoodchamber.com has lots of info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back