Acela luggage accomodations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amamba

Engineer
So I am leaving bright and early tomorrow to take the Acela, and of course my husband just shows me the suitcase he has packed. It is a larger suitcase and not just the standard roller that I normally use as a plane carryon, although it does fit the size restrictions for carry on luggage on the amtrak website.

So my question is: Does the Acela have luggage racks like the NE regionals at the end/beginning of the car, or is luggage storage limited to overhead and beneath the seat only? Thanks for the help.

There is a luggage rack at one end of the car, much like the Regionals. It does fill up quickly though, as many people don't want to lift their bags into the overheads.

I will also say though, the overhead bins (it's not an open air rack like most trains have, definately more airplane like) can handle some pretty big bags.

So I am leaving bright and early tomorrow to take the Acela, and of course my husband just shows me the suitcase he has packed. It is a larger suitcase and not just the standard roller that I normally use as a plane carryon, although it does fit the size restrictions for carry on luggage on the amtrak website.
So my question is: Does the Acela have luggage racks like the NE regionals at the end/beginning of the car, or is luggage storage limited to overhead and beneath the seat only? Thanks for the help.
Aloha

My only ride in Acela was in first class, and there was an area for bags was smaller than in the downstairs Super liners but my bag (slightly Larger than airline carry on) fit just find. The overhead bins were also larger than an airplane bin.

Don't know if this helps, but maybe a more regular rider get here before you leave.

Thanks! I think we are going to try to get a redcap, maybe that will help ensure we get some of this space. Plus we are getting on in the beginning, and I suspect the train will be filled with businessmen on their way to meetings in NYC.

Glad to hear that he doesn't have to repack :lol:

You should be fine, especially if you go with the redcap. But even without a redcap, boarding at South shouldn't present a problem for you with luggage.

You should be fine, especially if you go with the redcap. But even without a redcap, boarding at South shouldn't present a problem for you with luggage.
alan - thanks so much for your help. Am now on the 2155. We arrived early and a very nice redcap by the name of john helped us out. We were able to board before everyone else and there was plenty of room for our suitcase. Train was empty leaving south station but now is pretty packed having just left providence.

alan - thanks so much for your help. Am now on the 2155. We arrived early and a very nice redcap by the name of john helped us out. We were able to board before everyone else and there was plenty of room for our suitcase. Train was empty leaving south station but now is pretty packed having just left providence.
South station has several good redcaps and John is one of them. I've had John bring me out a few times myself. There are a couple of them, including John, who actually know me by name.

South station has several good redcaps and John is one of them. I've had John bring me out a few times myself. There are a couple of them, including John, who actually know me by name.
In Boston, at Cheers, everybody knows your name. :p

In Boston, at Cheers, everybody knows your name. :p
Is that the place where half of us got served very well and the other half hardly got served at all?

Nothing like a two year old thread to make me do a doubletake! :)

I tipped the redcap $5 on the occasion mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back