Acela first class menus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I admit I don't know how busy the chef and his assistant are in the diners these days.
You have that wrong! On most trains, there is only a chef downstairs!
wacko.gif
An exception is the EB (and maybe the AT).

Henry, luckily the salad on the acela (if its a salad entree) tends to be much more robust than the sad iceberg found on the LD trains. The chicken tandoori salad was tons of nice, fresh (and green!!!) romaine. I agree that the little dinner salad is a sad offering. I wish they would upgrade to romaine or green leaf lettuce over the colorless iceberg on the LD network.

The Acela first class menu sounds very appealing to me -- but I can understand why it might not attract the steak-and-potatoes, burgers-and-fries folks. Still, it's smart of Amtrak to market this cuisine to the sophisticated business-suit crowd that rides Acela First.

Sometimes the vegetarian items can be pretty good. On the western trains I now prefer the Veggieburger (chipotle, corn and black bean patty) to the Amburger for lunch in the dining car. I wish the bun were of better quality, though. It's enormous and the calories are empty.

My big dislike is the dinner salad -- usually a few meager shreds of iceberg lettuce and one lousy plum tomato, and sometimes a couple of croutons. If they could add another variety of lettuce plus a cucumber slice and a spoonful of shredded carrots that would be an improvement. But I admit I don't know how busy the chef and his assistant are in the diners these days.
Great post Henry.. totally agree... the Veggie Burger is by far the best bet for lunch in the diner.

As for the dinner salads, I almost leap for joy if i see a slice of cucumber in my salad on amtrak, I try to contain myself when I'm seated with strangers though. Seriously though, I think it just depends on the "chef" and how much they care about doing a good job. I've seen cucumber, sliced carrots, and celery in the small salads. Another thing that adds ALOT for me is when the roll with the salad is served warmed. The little things can really add alot.

But with 4 choices, for example, one could be more middle of the road rather than some exotic yuppie thing.
4 cheese lasagna is an "exotic yuppie" thing?

caesar salad with chicken?
Concur. The lasagna is just plain lasagna and it's pretty tasty.
Nana's lasagna was tasty (my sister taught my wife how to make it - noodles, fresh ricotta, whole milk mozzarella, sausage, miniature meatballs, meat sauce, Parmesan cheese, sauce cooked with the sausages and meatballs to absorb their flavor, etc. To die for! Of course with those fats and calories, I probably will soon die but I'll die happy. :rolleyes:

Anyone else's - UGH! :wacko:

I'll be riding the Acela next month but only for about 35 minutes.

I think I need to get my dinner to go.
Unless your getting on at WAS. You will most likely not be served dinner. Not saying it's not possible I've seen it happen for a lesser ride. (See later in post) The meals can not be served "to go" as they are premade in china and they have nothing to put them in. If you are served dinner eat fast! :lol: Like 150 MPH fast! :lol: (sorry couldn't resist) :help: Once I was on 2172 from WAS-PHL and someone was traveling FC from WAS to BAL. Not only was I puzzled on why she went FC for such a short distance but she was offered a meal and turned it down!! :eek:

We boarded a good 10 minutes after the general boarding announcement in CA as we were supposed to catch 94 from 30 but didn't make it. Once we got to CA the announcement had been made and we made our way to the train. The LSA didn't even know we were getting off at PHL! He said "Oh Philly?" When we were getting our stuff. That was actually the worse AE FC trip ever! :eek: The LSA refused me a second pepsi! -_- After my meal I asked for another pepsi and he said "No you already one." I went to the cafe car and got one for free when I explained the situation. I later called CR and complained about him.

Ribs themselves were good. I guess I would have liked a bit more meet. I nibbled on the corn and veggies. Potatoes were good. Regretted the piece that got away and is now sitting on the floor. I think it's mow to late for the 5 second rule.

Desert will be good with a cup of coffee. Attendants do a great job.

But I admit I don't know how busy the chef and his assistant are in the diners these days.
wacko.gif
Nope! Depends on the passenger loads. If the train is running half empty, then there will only be a cook in the kitchen. But on a train that is 3/4ths to full, there will be an assistant chef. They'll also get an extra Service Attendant, aka waiter.

wacko.gif
Nope! Depends on the passenger loads. If the train is running half empty, then there will only be a cook in the kitchen. But on a train that is 3/4ths to full, there will be an assistant chef. They'll also get an extra Service Attendant, aka waiter.
Hate to disagree with the Guru Alan but I have NEVER seen more than One Chef or "Extra" Waiter on the Texas Eagles and those Trains are Selling Out/Running Full most days! Not to say it hasnt happened but in my 200+ Trips on the Eagles I haven't experienced it! Hope this continues, maybe we can get back to a Reasonable Staffing Level for OBS one of the days if the "Experts" in Congress quit micro-managing Amtrak! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back