AC employment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Michael_*

I found this forum on google and I thought I would chime in!

I am about to graduate from the University of Minnesota with a degree in Planning and Geography. Two routes I have considered is first being in transportation and second city planning. After 2 city planning internships, I realize I never want to do that again. I want a career that is more on your feet, and "in the field" sort of work. Long hours do not bother me as long as I get at least 6 hours of rest at some point. Through out college I have traveled on the builder between St. Paul and my hometown chicago. I became aquainted with an AC who worked between Winona and Chicago on the Builder and he suggested I consider a career with Amtrak....after further discussion with the AC, I think I am going to apply (Milwaukee or Chicago ideally). While I know I can make a lot more money in city planning.

A few questions I have to folks in this forum are as follows.

1) If I graduate in May, how soon is too soon to apply (If I apply in february will they turn me down because I am not available until June)

2) I understand there is training out in Wilmington Delaware. Should I look for my own accommodations or will Amtrak set me up?

3) Is age 22 too young to be an assistant conductor? I have 7 years experience being in "high stress" management (managed at an upscale grocery store throughout high school and college vacations)

4) I keep hearing of a pre-test that is to be taken. Is there any sort of studying I should do before hand?

This job seems exciting. I have taken amtrak alot though out my life in the midwest and have always enjoyed myself. If anyone has any more tips on applying or getting hired I would be welcome to them. Thanks

-Michael

I am about to graduate from the University of Minnesota with a degree in Planning and Geography. Two routes I have considered is first being in transportation and second city planning. After 2 city planning internships, I realize I never want to do that again. I want a career that is more on your feet, and "in the field" sort of work. Long hours do not bother me as long as I get at least 6 hours of rest at some point. Through out college I have traveled on the builder between St. Paul and my hometown chicago. I became aquainted with an AC who worked between Winona and Chicago on the Builder and he suggested I consider a career with Amtrak....after further discussion with the AC, I think I am going to apply (Milwaukee or Chicago ideally). While I know I can make a lot more money in city planning.

1) If I graduate in May, how soon is too soon to apply (If I apply in february will they turn me down because I am not available until June)

2) I understand there is training out in Wilmington Delaware. Should I look for my own accommodations or will Amtrak set me up?

3) Is age 22 too young to be an assistant conductor? I have 7 years experience being in "high stress" management (managed at an upscale grocery store throughout high school and college vacations)

4) I keep hearing of a pre-test that is to be taken. Is there any sort of studying I should do before hand?

This job seems exciting. I have taken amtrak alot though out my life in the midwest and have always enjoyed myself. If anyone has any more tips on applying or getting hired I would be welcome to them. Thanks

-Michael

-Michael
I can offer some advise, as I applied to be an AC out of New Orleans back in 2004 when I was 25.

There were several tests taken before I was offered an interview about a week later. Just basic math mostly from what I can recall. Also some vocab/comprehension stuff I think. Not too difficult, but they took a little while to complete as there were several of them.

They did tell me that they would provide the lodging in Wilmington so I assume that has not changed, and that I had to pay for all meals, etc.

The interview itself went extremely well I thought, but they hired someone else...I assume someone with railroad experience...that was probably my biggest drawback. Two people from the NOL base interviewed me and the HR rep from Chicago was on a speakerphone.

Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back