A stroke of luck . . .

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
Comming back from a trip to Pittsfield Lawn and Tractor to pick up some items for my snowmobile, I decided to take a ride up to see the progress of the new station, I thought to myself maybe 449 will be comming in because it was around train time (3:39, the train was due at 3:29)

What do ya know, as I was comming up the hill on depot street just before the station the front end of P42 #70 showed its face around the bend!! What timing!!

I quickly pulled the good ol F-150 into the small Amshack parking lot and checked out the rest of the consist, the baggage car and Viewliner slipped by me as I was pulling into the parking lot.

Todays 449 consist:

P42 70

P42 93

Baggage

Viewliner

Amfleet II coach 25044 (phase IVb, I also saw this car on the train in July)

Amfleet II coach 25117 Phase IVb

Amfleet I cafe, dont remember the full number, just it began with 44, also in Phase IVb

WOW the train looked spotless, beautiul, professional it contrasted nicely with the new fallen snow and the Amfleets looked GREAT!! Especially when the train rolled off into the setting sun and all the cars turned orange in the reflecting light, talk about an awesome lookin train!!

No one got on or off in Pittsfield today, the train slowed to the crawl and the conductor had the door open looking for any potential riders, he motioned to me like asking if I was going on, I shook my head no, I WISH I was heading on board!! The train looked very inviting!

A poor car in the parking lot was BURRIED by the plows plowing the 15" or so snow dumped by the Nor Easter, that person has some digging to do when they come back from their Amtrip!!

The new station has much of its new parking garage finished and alot of the exterior brickwork as well as most of the roofing done! Its gonna be sweet waiting for the train at that place! Maybe I could get a job there . . . hmmm maybe

Nice catch. Amtrak in the snow is a beautiful thing and this early nor'ester was certainly a nice beggining to winter. Really should've hitched that ride to Chicago, but i guess there are other commitments to make.

Well just like that other time this summer when I had a chance to ride it when the train had a 20 min layover in Pittsfield awaiting CSX freights, I almost went but the old man would have went nuts! Someday I will take a ride on the Lake Shore, hopefully soon, I did ask for some tickets for christmas!!

I should have took it this past summer, there were less commitments (no school).

They cancelled my Foliage Flyer this year!! <_< There goes my planned Amtrak ride ( though not technically an Amtrak train)

And you better believe Im taking a sign from the Amshack before they move to the bigger new station, ohh that will look sweet above the layout!

:D And I have connections to guys workin down there at the new station through my dad so maybe I can get the hook up on that :D

I wish I had the camera today, the train looked so shiny and nice, the Amfleet cars looked brand new, its hard to believe they were built 20 years ago (the cafe almost 30 years ago!!)

I am suprised that they put the cafe car on the very back of the train, instead of being between the sleeper and first coach. first it would be more in the center of the train. Second for the conveience for the first class passengers, and third so the cafe attendent can play security guard for people in coach trying to walk into the sleeper.

The cafe is located at the rear of the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited because with it joins with the New York section at Albany, the New York cars are added onto the rear, and then the cafe is right in the middle of the coach cars from each section, making it easily accessible to the people who utilize it the most. On my trip in October, I was sitting in the coach closest to the sleeper, and the coach attendant did a very nice job of politely telling coach passengers not to go up to the sleeper.

From the original post, it sounds as if the LSL is still carrying an Amfleet I Cafe?

When I took this train in July there was no lounge, just the food counter with coach seating on both sides.

I thought that the LSL was supposed to receive an Amfleet II Lounge with smokers compartment? Considering there have been issues with several passengers breaking the smoking rule in recent months.

The Lake Shore's Boston section, which goes through Pittsfield, carries an Amfleet I cafe/coach. This car is detached in Albany, and snack and beverage service from thence to Chicago is provided by the Amfleet II cafe/lounge you mentioned, which arrives in Albany via the New York section.

PennsyFan said:
The Lake Shore's Boston section, which goes through Pittsfield, carries an Amfleet I cafe/coach. This car is detached in Albany, and snack and beverage service from thence to Chicago is provided by the Amfleet II cafe/lounge you mentioned, which arrives in Albany via the New York section.
The last I heard the Lounge comes from Boston, whether it's a Coach/Cafe, Dinette, or Lounge. The only food service car coming from New York is the Diner.

Amfleet said:
PennsyFan said:
The Lake Shore's Boston section, which goes through Pittsfield, carries an Amfleet I cafe/coach.  This car is detached in Albany, and snack and beverage service from thence to Chicago is provided by the Amfleet II cafe/lounge you mentioned, which arrives in Albany via the New York section.
The last I heard the Lounge comes from Boston, whether it's a Coach/Cafe, Dinette, or Lounge. The only food service car coming from New York is the Diner.
Amfleet,

You are correct! :)

The NY section no longer runs with a lounge or cafe car, it only carries the diner. The diner runs at the head end of the NY section, while the Boston cafe car runs at the rear. When coupled together in Albany, one then has the typical combination of cafe/diner in the center of the train.

This SOP was designed to minimize car moves at Albany and in theory to improve the LSL's departure times from Albany.

The problem however is that it leaves NYP passengers without any snack food for three hours heading to Chicago. One can only get food from the diner and that doesn't open until the train is well past Poughkeepsie. It's even worse going the other direction. Both the cafe and the diner close at Schenectady, leaving NYP bound passengers without any food for over 4 hours. :angry:

AlanB said:
Amfleet,
You are correct!   :)

The NY section no longer runs with a lounge or cafe car, it only carries the diner.  The diner runs at the head end of the NY section, while the Boston cafe car runs at the rear.  When coupled together in Albany, one then has the typical combination of cafe/diner in the center of the train.

This SOP was designed to minimize car moves at Albany and in theory to improve the LSL's departure times from Albany.

The problem however is that it leaves NYP passengers without any snack food for three hours heading to Chicago.  One can only get food from the diner and that doesn't open until the train is well past Poughkeepsie.  It's even worse going the other direction.  Both the cafe and the diner close at Schenectady, leaving NYP bound passengers without any food for over 4 hours.   :angry:
It sounds like the LSL is run similar to the Empire Builder for the split at Spokane, but I'm surprised that they don't have some kind of snack service in the dining car. On the Builder, the crew sets up one of the tables on the side of the coaches with a couple of kinds of snack foods (chips, Skittles, etc.), soda pops, ice, and a few "adult" beverages. Even when the diner is no longer serving supper or breakfast (depending on the direction of travel), they still have one attendant hang out near the snack table so people can get stuff throughout the rest of the trip.

Once the two sections come back together, the diner turns over what ever food is left to the lounge attendant to add to his stocks in the lounge.

They close the diner BEFORE Schenctady?! Thats CRAZY, that means that they dont bother having the diner open for lunch!! Passengers better eat a good breakfast then . . . what happens if the train is late (like it usually is)? do they still close it before lunch, Id imagine they still would

Kind of a stupid move to me, come on they should put up some kind of food setup

P40Power said:
They close the diner BEFORE Schenctady?! Thats CRAZY, that means that they dont bother having the diner open for lunch!! Passengers better eat a good breakfast then . . . what happens if the train is late (like it usually is)? do they still close it before lunch, Id imagine they still would
Kind of a stupid move to me, come on they should put up some kind of food setup
I agree that they should have some sort of food service south of Albany on the LSL. I kinda of like the idea that EmpireBuilderFan says happens on the EB.

As for the LSL being horribly late, then I'm guessing that they must serve lunch before they get to Albany. Although who knows, they may not even have a lunch menu loaded on the diner. Perhaps one just has to hit the cafe/lounge car.

In my opinion I think the New York section should get its own Lounge along with the Diner. This way when both the Boston section and the New York section are combined there are two Lounges, not one. The reason I think this is a good idea is because in the summer the Lake Shore Limited can have up to 6-7 Coaches carrying about 350 passengers. It just seems impossible that one Diner and one Lounge could handle such a load. Assuming that most Coach passengers go for the snack bar food, then two Lounges would help ease up congestion that would form in just the one Lounge. It would also give more space for passengers to get a change of atmosphere from the Coaches.

I like that Idea, I would hope there would be enough equipment for that though. Would the lounge be better of between the Sleepers and Coaches or Coaches and diners though?

Viewliner said:
I like that Idea, I would hope there would be enough equipment for that though. Would the lounge be better of between the Sleepers and Coaches or Coaches and diners though?
I figure that maybe there doesn't have to be two lounges, but more over two snack bars. Maybe one Lounge between the New York Diner and Coaches, then a Cafe between the Boston Sleeper and Coaches. This will also prevent traffic comming thru the diner during meal periods for people who want to get to the lounge from either Coach sections.

Amfleet & Viewliner,

While on the same order of what you guys are suggesting, what Amtrak probably should do would be a slight variation on your ideas.

They should take an ex-Metroliner Club Car, sell of the seats as business class much like they do on the Palmetto. This would then give the NY section a cafe car, while providing a third level of service on the train. This car could be placed between the NY sleepers and the NY coaches to help control traffic in the sleeper.

Then the Boston section could run with either a full cafe/lounge car or they could also borrow the BC idea. Again this car would seperate the Boston sleeper from the Boston coaches.

When the trains combine at Albany this would then put the diner in the middle of the train, with cafe's on both ends. :)

AlanB said:
Amfleet & Viewliner,
While on the same order of what you guys are suggesting, what Amtrak probably should do would be a slight variation on your ideas.

They should take an ex-Metroliner Club Car, sell of the seats as business class much like they do on the Palmetto. This would then give the NY section a cafe car, while providing a third level of service on the train. This car could be placed between the NY sleepers and the NY coaches to help control traffic in the sleeper.

Then the Boston section could run with either a full cafe/lounge car or they could also borrow the BC idea. Again this car would seperate the Boston sleeper from the Boston coaches.

When the trains combine at Albany this would then put the diner in the middle of the train, with cafe's on both ends. :)
Not a bad idea, but IMHO high fare paying Business Class passengers may be disturbed by Coach and Sleeping Car passengers walking through their car to get something at the Cafe or to go to the Diner.

I know the way they do things now are pretty well set up, but I would sill love to know why the diner isn't at the head end of NY side, and the Lounge rear end of Boston side with coaches sleepers and baggage cars extending outward from the middle. That to me seems like the easiest way to do it.

battalion51 said:
I know the way they do things now are pretty well set up, but I would sill love to know why the diner isn't at the head end of NY side, and the Lounge rear end of Boston side with coaches sleepers and baggage cars extending outward from the middle. That to me seems like the easiest way to do it.
I'm not sure what you are saying there but I'll list the consists of what I'm thinking of. Let me know if this is what you were thinking of?

Current Lake Shore Limited

Locomotive (BOS)

Locomotive (BOS)

Baggage (BOS)

Sleeping Car (BOS)

Coach (BOS)

Coach (BOS)

Lounge/Cafe (BOS)

Diner (NYC)

Coach (NYC)

Coach (NYC)

Coach (NYC)

Coach (NYC)

Sleeping Car (NYC)

Sleeping Car (NYC)

Crew Dorm (NYC)

Baggage (NYC)

Lake Shore Limited Idea with 2 Lounge/Cafes

Locomotive (BOS)

Locomotive (BOS)

Baggage (BOS)

Sleeping Car (BOS)

Cafe (BOS)

Coach (BOS)

Coach (BOS)

Coach (NYC)

Coach (NYC)

Coach (NYC)

Coach (NYC)

Lounge (NYC)

Diner (NYC)

Sleeping Car (NYC)

Sleeping Car (NYC)

Crew Dorm (NYC)

Baggage (NYC)

OK wow, I need to stop trying to figure out the LSL. :lol: For some odd reason I thought that the Diner was in between NY's coaches and sleepers. ;) I stand corrected.

battalion51 said:
OK wow, I need to stop trying to figure out the LSL.   :lol:  For some odd reason I thought that the Diner was in between NY's coaches and sleepers.   ;)  I stand corrected.
Your not the only one. They've changed the order of the consist I think about 4 times in the past 2-years for that train. :lol: The Diner used to be next to the New York Sleepers.

Why not use the lunch counter area of the diner to provide additional food service? Why not even make it a first class only bar thus taking some strain off the main lounge and giving the train a touch of additional class which is sorely lacking? They have the equipment, why not use it?

Amfleet said:
They've changed the order of the consist I think about 4 times in the past 2-years for that train. :lol: The Diner used to be next to the New York Sleepers.
The only real change that I'm aware of occured when they started putting the Boston section on the head end of the combined trains.

At that time we went from having the crew dorm on the head end, followed by the NY sleepers, the diner, cafe, and then the coaches to the current configuration which is diner at the head, coaches next, followed by the sleepers with the crew dorm on the bottom.

Boston went from cafe on the head, coaches, & sleeper to sleeper on the head, coaches, cafe on the bottom.

PennsyFan said:
Why not use the lunch counter area of the diner to provide additional food service? Why not even make it a first class only bar thus taking some strain off the main lounge and giving the train a touch of additional class which is sorely lacking? They have the equipment, why not use it?
Probably because only the Temoinsa rebuilds have that counter. The original Heritage diner's don't have a counter. Since only about half the diner's have received that rebuild, the LSL doesn't always get a rebuild.

While I suspect that Amtrak could always try to ensure that the LSL got a Temoinsa, I'm sure that they don't want to be locked into having to make sure that one is always available for that train.

Wouldn't they be better off having a cafe 75% of the time between NYC & Albany than not at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back