A long anticipated "Outwest" trip!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

picnic42

Train Attendant
Finally we are making reservations... at long last we are going WEST!

Peggy is attending a convention in Anneheim Ca. during July 2014 and I get to tag along. During my time I plan to coordinate a ship's reunion, making good use of my time in the LA area.

Here is what my research has developed...

CIN to CHI on the Cardinal

CHI to FUL on the SWC (roomette)

LAX to EMY on the Coastal Starlight

EMY to CHI on the CZ (roomette)

CHI to CIN on the Cardinal

I can't seem to put this schedule on the internet as it only has room for 4 segments... I called the reservation folks and the price is over $200.00 higher over the phone!!!! (including the 5th segment of CHI to CIN) Is there a way I can avoid this increase of fare?

Also... my sister (in Iowa) will join us on the train...

FMD to LAX on the SWC (roomette)

LAX to EMY on the Coastal starlight

EMY to BUR on the CZ (roomette)

Is it best "she" make those reservations or should I, together with my reservations? (trying to keep us together or close in roomettes and coach seats)

Any pointers or advice on this trip?

I look forward to hearing from you seasoned veterans of the rails!

Ralph & Peggy too!

Is it best "she" make those reservations or should I, together with my reservations? (trying to keep us together or close in roomettes and coach seats)
I don't know about the roomettes - but you don't get to pick your coach seats. You have a seat reserved, but not a specific seat. You just find an empty seat. If there are not two empty seats together, you have to sit apart.

Make 2 separate reservations, one for the trip out and one for the trip back. That'll let you book online.

Your sister can make her own reservations - once you have yours and know what room you're in, have her call and ask for rooms that are near each other.

Since you'll be boarding the CS together at the start of the trip, getting coach seats together shouldn't be too hard. Seats aren't assigned until you board, so no issues there at the time of booking.

Make 2 separate reservations, one for the trip out and one for the trip back. That'll let you book online.

Your sister can make her own reservations - once you have yours and know what room you're in, have her call and ask for rooms that are near each other.

Since you'll be boarding the CS together at the start of the trip, getting coach seats together shouldn't be too hard. Seats aren't assigned until you board, so no issues there at the time of booking.
GREAT idea... had not thought of making two seperate reservations!!!!!!

Is it the general rule that by calling into reservations... that the fares are higher?

Ralph

You could save a little money by riding in coach on the SWC as far as FMD where your sister will be getting on for her roomette. In July it will still be daylight by the time you get to FMD. Fullerton has baggage service so you can check 2 bags from Chicago to FUL. Just pack what you need on the train in one small bag for in yiour roomette

And while Amtrak does not offer lower fares for roundtrip than two one-ways (as is the case for most airline journeys), it MIGHT be cheaper for you to get an Amtrak USA Rail Pass for your itinerary, which I think would cover the rail portion of the travel, with the sleeping rooms added on to the total. An Amtrak agent on the telephone could figure out for you which is the less expensive way to book the trip.

Nope, you should get the same fare online or over the phone.
Correct, you SHOULD get the same fare...however, due to the "glitch" or "programming error" if you have two in a roomette, the price is lower on the phone.

Sometimes.

Sometimes it works right.

Example:

roomette_correct_2.png

roomette_correct_1.png

Room charge stays the same at $158.

Railfare correctly doubles from $94 to $188.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE...

I called AMTRAK late yesterday morning to "inquire" about this trip... and to make sure things were right etc. then I was to call my sister to get her final approval.

I told the lady on the phone that I had to get this final info and I will call them back to actually make the reservations. I told her I needed a fairly complex arrangement for my wife and I, then for my sister. I also told her that we needed roomettes on parts of this trip and I wanted to make sure my sister was next door or very nearby to our room. She insisted on getting our info first. At the end of discussion she asked for my credit card... I told her I needed to get the info for my sister... she said to pay for this reservation first then she would do my sister's reservation. That was not my intention at that moment. BUT... since it was at the same calculate price as on line... I went ahead and made the reservation for Peggy and I.

She did all the info for my sister... and the total price was $400.00 more (from $1069 to $1469) than "minutes before" on the AMTRAK internet site!!!!!! I told her this would not do... this is wrong... this was calculated minutes ago. She kept saying this happens... she had no control... She said the roomette price increased due to availability! I told her I could not make this reservation with such a huge price jump! I told her my sister only knew the lessor price and I could not just tell her to fork out $400.00 more for the same ticket. etc. etc. She then asked me to hold... she came back with a reduced price. She reduced it by $200. (making it $1296.75)

I sadly accepted that price and she offered to make the reservation... then pay for it in one week's time... therefore holding the reservation.

I asked to check on the roomette parts of the trip... car number and room number. She had my sister down the hall on the SWC and in a completely different car on the CZ. I again said this will not do... I reminded her I had specifically requested roomettes to be close or side by side. She said she could not do anything about it. That they were the only rooms available... She said something about the price I paid for my roomette, caused my sister's room to be not close to mine! She was not budging on this...

So... after all this I let it go... said my goodbye and called my sister.

She was OK with the $200.00 increase since it matched the "new" internet price and she would keep an eye on the price. After talking to me she called AMTRAK and got a nice operator... who was very personable... and quite interesting to talk to. It turned out that this new lady was able to put my sister down one room from us on the SWC and on the CZ not only in the same car but "across the hall from us" !!!!!! PERFECT!

What a difference a good reservationist makes!

Ralph

I'm puzzled --- on your sister's reservation back you have the CZ departing EMY to BUR. BUR is Burbank, CA. I'm not sure what you meant here, but the CZ does not go to Burbank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm puzzled --- on your sister's reservation back you have the CZ departing EMY to BUR. BUR is Burbank, CA. I'm not sure what you meant here, but the EZ does not go to Burbank.
That is for Emeryville to Burlington, Iowa. They have the same code... Diff. Trains.

I'm puzzled --- on your sister's reservation back you have the CZ departing EMY to BUR. BUR is Burbank, CA. I'm not sure what you meant here, but the EZ does not go to Burbank.
That is for Emeryville to Burlington, Iowa. They have the same code... Diff. Trains.
I read it wrong... Thought it was BUR... For Burlington Ia
Not really ---

Burlington, IA

BRL

Burlington, NC

BNC

Burlington, VT

ESX

I have found the Amtrak people answering the phone to be super helpful! I love that you are taking the California Zephyr one way from Chicago, and the Southwest Chief and the Coast Starlight another way. Both are fun! You have about a two hour break in Los Angeles. Last time I transferred from the Southwest Chief to the Coast Starlight, I walked to the most amazing restaurant, Phillipe the Original! I had breakfast there, then took French Dip sandwiches with me for lunch, juice on the side.

I have found the Amtrak people answering the phone to be super helpful! I love that you are taking the California Zephyr one way from Chicago, and the Southwest Chief and the Coast Starlight another way. Both are fun! You have about a two hour break in Los Angeles. Last time I transferred from the Southwest Chief to the Coast Starlight, I walked to the most amazing restaurant, Phillipe the Original! I had breakfast there, then took French Dip sandwiches with me for lunch, juice on the side.
Yes... I have often found very good and personable folks (and very helpful and suggestive folks) on the Amtrak phones... this time however, she was not very helpful and seemed to want to do it her way. She was not talkative and there were times I would say... "you still there" after a length of silence. I should have excused myself and hung up to call back later and try again with another person.

We will be spending 4 days in the Anaheim/LA area. My wife has a convention to attend, my sister will be staying with our older sister and her husband in Pasadina, and I will be meeting with some old shipmates for a couple of days. After taking the Starlight up to Emeryville, we are taking an extra day to look around San Fransisco. Then off we go on the California Zephyr back to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back