A daytrip on the Piedmont

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phila 30th St

Service Attendant
Here's a brieft rundown of my trip on the Piedmont.

Sunday December 27

Amtrak 73 - Piedmont

Durham, NC (DNC) to Charlotte, NC (CLT)

This train is scheduled to leave at 7:22 so at the awful hour of 6:45 AM my Father and I prepared to leave home for the station. Unfortunately, it was 30 degrees (unthinkable for an Arizonie like me) and we had to wait for the car to defrost. Luckily, there was no traffic and we live close to the station so we were there at 7:05.

The Durham train station has recently been converted from an Amshack into a gorgeous facility built in an old tabacco warehouse. It's sad that the station only see four trains (two to Charlotte, one to Raleigh and one to New York) a day. At this early hour there weren't many people and we quickly picked up our tickets from a Quiktrak machine and despite the weather, went and waited on the platform.

At 7:29 AM, the southbound train was heard. The consist was an engine in the North Carolina colors (The City of Salisbury), a combo cafe car (vending machines only) and coach and two coaches. The last coach was reserved for people going to Charlotte only and we had it to ourselves at first.

The ride down was gorgeous passing through fields and woods covered in frost and right through a few cities. The train stayed quite empty and we ended up picking up time to where we arrived in Charlotte a mere two minutes down. We headed through Burlington near abandoned mills, Greensboro right in downtown, High Point in a cut, Salisbury near the famed Spencer shops, Kannapolis formerly of Kannon Mills and then Charlotte. Free coffee and tee were availiable and the staff were excellent.

Sunday December 27

Amtrak 76 - Piedmont

Charlotte, NC (CLT) to Durham, NC (DNC)

We arrived back at the Charlotte train station at 5:05 PM for our 5:30 PM train. The Charlotte station is awful with a too small parking lot and drop off area, a dingy, old station building and windy and derelect platforms. Luckily we had gotten our tickets ahead of time as it was hard to manouver around the station building. The only highlight was a Christmas tree decorated with baggage tags.

We boarded at 5:15 PM and departed at 5:29 PM (try doing THAT on an airplane) and this time the consist included an extra coach...the "Scotch Bonnet". The coaches were in good shape despite not being Amcans and resembling Horizon equipment. All seats had power outlets (which worked), recline and footrests and the ceilings were higher. This train was far more crowded with a car for Raleigh passengers, a car for Durham passengers and one for everyone else.

Sadly, we lost daylight right outside of Charlotte so there wasn't much to see on this ride. In fact, I kindly gave my Father the window! Again, free coffee and tea were offered in the vendomachinecar or whatever the proper name for it is. We ended up slowing outside of Burlington and we arrived in Durham a few minutes down.

All in all a great trip for $40 with the AAA discount. And now I can say I've ridden every train that stops in Durham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back