#5 always late into OMA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
I've been following the status of CZ #5 (westbound) out of OMA. It seems to be constantly late coming into OMA (sometimes only a few minutes, sometimes over an hour.) Looking over the past four weeks, not once has it been on-time leaving OMA.

Why? It seems as though that would be a logical place to make up time, especially since it's one of the larger stations along the route. And the further west you go, the more time it seems to make up (for example, it's been in SLC almost an hour early lately.)

Just a guess, but has BNSF begun work to improve or install crossovers on the line in Iowa that received ARRA/HSIPR funding?

In January the MTP station agent blamed it on coal trains. Didn't sound very convincing to me.

In January the MTP station agent blamed it on coal trains. Didn't sound very convincing to me.
Then what would be convincing?

That route is very heavily traveled by coal trains, which are long and slow. BNSF has a crew base just east of Omaha (I think Creston?). I once sat on a #5 waiting for three hours because the BNSF train ahead was waiting for a rested crew.

I can vouch for the amount of coal trains on that route - I see them all the time. Constantly....

In December they chalked it up to "Z" trains. Longer consists that force 5 off the main and on to sidings because they won't fit. Most of the sidings have reduced speed limits, some as low as 5mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back