49 east and westbound on time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVas

Service Attendant
I have had a chance to take the LSL from Chicago on April 23 and June 10 from nyc back to Chicago. Both times the train was on time. Did CSX take traffic off of that route or did the adjustment to the schedule for the LSL help make it on time/???

Bill

Chicago to Cleveland is now NS. only Cleveland east is CSX.
From what I have been hearing, the worst delays had been on the NS end primarily because of heavy traffic.
Heavy traffic is only part of the problem for NS, George. The other part is a major rebuilding project at Elkhart yard, that has reduced the yard's capacity by about 50%. There was one report about 2 months ago, where NS had 20 trains parked on the mainline, because the yard couldn't handle them.

Now recently things seem to be improving somewhat for Amtrak on NS track, although it's still far from perfect. But the number of mega delays has been decreasing, so perhaps NS has finally figured out how to properly deal with the lost capacity of the Elkhart yard. The delays are more in line with what one has typically come to expect from NS on that line, most of which is the result of heavy traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my first LSL trip in 2 years on June 10 as well. Departed NYP 30 mins late and arrived in CHI just 3 mins late. Returned to NYP last night just 30 mins late, and the crews were excellent, particularly on 49. Also nice to see the actual lakeshores in daylight, too. What a difference! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back