421 Texas Eagle vs 21 Texas Eagle - What's the difference?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just was reading through this thread and got myself confused. I'm ticketed in April on train 22 in sleeper 2220, room 3. It didn't give me a 422 train option on this day so assuming it's one of the days without a Sunset Ltd connection. Am I correct thinking 2220 is the full sleeper?

Between San Antonio and Chicago the sleeper is always adjacent to the dining/cafe car no matter the train or car number. Between San Antonio and Los Angeles if you stay on a Texas Eagle through sleeper you will always be the last car on the train and have to walk through coaches and SSL to get to the dining car. There is a sleeper near the front of the Sunset Limited adjacent to the dining car but it is the New Orleans to Los Angeles sleeper and both the dining car and sightseer lounge on this train is New Orleans to Los Angeles.

Between San Antonio and Chicago the sleeper is always adjacent to the dining/cafe car no matter the train or car number. Between San Antonio and Los Angeles if you stay on a Texas Eagle through sleeper you will always be the last car on the train and have to walk through coaches and SSL to get to the dining car. There is a sleeper near the front of the Sunset Limited adjacent to the dining car but it is the New Orleans to Los Angeles sleeper and both the dining car and sightseer lounge on this train is New Orleans to Los Angeles.
Not quite correct.

As noted earlier, between San Antonio and Chicago the FULL sleeper is sometimes next to the dining car, and sometimes on the rear. Every time I have ridden during the summer, the full sleeper was on the rear. Friend who was on it last week, the full sleeper was next to the dining car.

The only time that it really matters if you are on 421/421 or 21/22 is if you are going beyond San Antonio either way. (Example: Austin to Tuscon or El Paso to Dallas.)

If you were to book 21 connecting to 1 or 2 connecting to 22, you must disembark in San Antonio for an overnight stay (in the far from luxurious station) and wait for the general boarding of the new train. If you were to book on421/422 all the way through, you could sleep in your seat or room all night through the stop!

If your sleeper is 2119/2219 (I think), it is the trans-dorm - which is not put on/off the SL. If you're sleeper is 2120/2220, it's the full sleeper on non-SL days that just go CHI-SAS. If you're sleeper is 2130/2230, it's the full sleeper that goes CHI-LAX, and is switched in SAS between trains.

The full sleeper has Bedrooms A-E and Roomettes 2-14. The trans-dorm only has Roomettes numbered above #17. (It has no bedrooms.)

Last edited by a moderator:
book on421/422 all the way through, you could sleep in your seat or room all night through the stop!
Yep.

That's why on my eastbound trip in May I'm moving from the 22 sleeper to the 422 in Alpine.

The 2 sleeper had a lower price (about 1/2) from LA to Alpine than the 422 sleeper when I booked several months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the summer, 421/422 sleepers are usually higher because of the demand for through rooms. I am booked on 422 this summer out of LAX to AUS. A recent check on available rooms showed 1 Bedroom and 1 Roomette remaining to be sold. Imagine this car will be sold out months before we depart mid-July. In the summer the rooms go fast.

I'm seeing a lot of discussion about 21 versus 421, thanks.

I'm a bit confused on which option to choose, 21 or 421. It sounds like one or the other will determine if you are tacked onto the end of the train and have to walk all the way through coach in order to reach the dining and SSL cars, is that correct? Nothing personal, but I would rather not have to walk through the multiple coach cars when having to reach the dining and SSL cars.

Also, what is the trans dorm or transition sleeper?
It doesn't matter. The consist is the same everyday and they put you in the same car regardless. Just book the cheaper option.

So we are on 22 right and the full sleeper is up front by the dining car. First time for that to happen to me. Always been on the rear. Prefer it up here though. Closer to the dining car and less foot traffic after attaching the 322 car.

Maybe they are only putting it on the rear on 422 days?

So we are on 22 right and the full sleeper is up front by the dining car. First time for that to happen to me. Always been on the rear. Prefer it up here though. Closer to the dining car and less foot traffic after attaching the 322 car.

Maybe they are only putting it on the rear on 422 days?
It's Luck of the draw!
I was told by a very Senior Conductor on this route (SAS-FTW) that it depends on the switching crew in SAS.

Sometimes,they put the #422 Sleeper in the Rear along with the Cutout Coach, other times they make several switching moves and put the Sleeper up front out of SAS.

How's the food in the CCC? When I rode on the re-route last month they were out of most things when we left Austin heading North.

Steak and Shrimp last night was fantastic. "Cheesecake" not so much. Bad texture.

French Toast was good for breakfast. They better serve us a lunch today. We boarded before 2:00 yesterday and they denied us lunch. They were already done serving. Need me an Amburger!

Back