4 days until our first trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are 4 days from our first train trip, Boston to Orlando. Our fingers are crossed that the timing works for us, we change trains in NY and the schedule shows that we have 45 minuts so I hope we are on time. Once on in NY the on time is not quite as important. The 5 of us are looking forward to this trip and way to travel.

F59,

Just currious why you suggested going through Albany? Boston to Orlando via Albany would be way out of the way. Your right though, I wouldn't trust a 45 minute transfer. He probably should have taken a earlier train or spent the night.

Gary,

I agree with the others here 45 minutes is cutting it close. In fact Amtrak would not normally allow you to book such a connection in one reservation.

That said the only 45 minute connections that I can find in NY between a Silver Service train and a Boston train would be Acela Express 2155 connecting to the Silver Star train #91 or Acela Express 2171 to the Silver Meteor train #97.

Both Acela's run through to Washington DC, so this could help you out if you are running late from Boston. If you are late into NY, then stay on the Acela in the hope that you can catch up with the Florida train at DC. In the case of 2155 & 97, while there is only a 45 minute window at NY, by the time the trains reach DC there is over a 2 hour window. In the case of 2171 & 97 the window only grows a little from 45 minutes to just over 1 hour, but it could help.

In either case though, if you are running late, talk to the conductor on the Boston train and get his advice. He may well try to get word to the Florida conductor that you are indeed coming and are not a no show.

However and I can't stress this enough, I would try to get an earlier train if at all possible. Either that or I would stay overnight somewhere between NY & DC. I would never attempt such a tight connection myself. :eek:

This was set up by Amtrak when I booked. I plugged in Boston to Orlando and this is what they gave me. We get on the 6:30 AM train out of Boston Sat morning #195 I think and get to NY at 10:45 to jump on #91 at 11:30Am, 24 hours or SO later we will be in Orlando, that is what we have been told. We have a car service picking us up and have reservations at 4 PM for early dinner. I know it may be a dream to make it all work but we are hoping.

195 is generally the connection train between Boston and the Star. If it looks like you're connection will be under 15 minutes (due to delays) let the Conductor know and they may be able to get you a cross platform transfer or they may hold 91 for you. It's also possible that they'll tell you to stay on 195 until Philly or Washington since 195 makes better time than 91.

GaryWT said:
This was set up by Amtrak when I booked. I plugged in Boston to Orlando and this is what they gave me. We get on the 6:30 AM train out of Boston Sat morning #195 I think and get to NY at 10:45 to jump on #91 at 11:30Am, 24 hours or SO later we will be in Orlando, that is what we have been told. We have a car service picking us up and have reservations at 4 PM for early dinner. I know it may be a dream to make it all work but we are hoping.
Actually, you only have 40 minutes as #195 arrives into NYP at 10:50am and the Silver Star #91 departs at 11:30am. Also, be advised that boarding will begin around 11:15am-11:20am for the Silver Meteor so don't go to far from the boarding area.

Wow, I just looked at the timetable and Amtrak really needs to rethink this connection. They should not be offering a connection in NY at all. They should only connect 195 to 91 in DC.

I suspect that the reason they are still offering this connection, is due to a screw up in the TT. If you look at the corridor part of the TT, it shows 195 arriving in NYP at 10:50 AM. With the departure of the Star at 11:30, that is far less than the 1 hour minimum.

However, the reason that they are still offering this connection is because, when you flip to the Florida/Carolinian page of the TT you find 95/195 listed as arriving at 10:20, which is within the 1 hour minimum. Apparently when they rearranged 195's schedule to be half an hour later than 95, no one ever pulled that connection.

GaryWT said:
Thanks for the help.
On behalf of all those who answered your questions, you're welcome. :)

Let me also invite you to come back here after your trip and tell us how things went. We love to read about each others trips. :)

They show 95/195 and the Star as a guaranteed connection in the timetable. So you as a passenger don't have anything to worry about. For another words #91 will hold up for you in NYC or WAS in the case #95/195 is late into NYC. If for some freak reason they don't hold #91 up, they will put you on #97 latter in the day. If that fails, then Amtrak will put you up in a Hotel for the night.

Aloha Gary

Hope your trip to Orlando is as much fun as mine was, alothough I flew in and trained out on the Sunset Limited.

Eric

95/195 most likely is a guranteed connection at WAS, not NYP. So if you get late talk to your Conductor (s)he'll take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back