2015 Amtrak Exhibit Train/Amtrak Train Days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that National Train Day as we know it may be gone. It looks like the closest location for NE and Mid Atlantic rail fans to see the Amtrak exhibit train will be Sat. Sept 19 at Philadelphia's 30th street station. I have no idea if Amtrak has anything planned beyond the exhibit train but hope that that some of the past NTD activities and events are still retained. NTD was a fun event and it was enjoyable attending it.
Some local areas will showcase their equipment. It is not out of the realm of possibility that Philadelphia's NTD exhibit will have additional equipment. The point is for local areas to tailor their needs based upon equipment availability , which may actually increase with this program.

As for the Amtrak Exhibit train at NYP, it is very unlikely to ever stop there. A small underground station having to deal with six NJT commuter trains , Amtrak NEC, Cardinal, Lake Shore, Silvers and Crescent with two track tunnels leading into NYC isn't conducive to an event there. A train leaves or arrives at that station every 5 minutes and the place is always packed. Thank the people that put the wrecking ball to the original, large and beautiful Pennsylvania station that once stood there for a prime reason that an Amtrak exhibit train wont be there. .
I've never been in the original Penn Station and perhaps this is the wrong to place, but how does the demolition of the original station come into play? Even if you had all of the space above to held expedite loading and unloading to reduce passenger congestion, track space is still at a premium and that is a major hold up. It seems to me that if the original Penn Station existed, it would be a different tent over the same circus.

You are correct about the original Penn Station being like a different circus tent over the same tracks!

However Grand Central Terminal still received LD Trains from the North and West, and as was said, the Beautiful Head House and Concourse did cut down on the crowding that the current dungeon like "station" experiences in the cattle pens, er waiting areas.

Going from National Train Day to Amtrak Train Days - I'm sure will have past events not taking place in future. Instead of making it an industry wide event - with new title - most will assume this is just a new Amtrak marketing tool and specific to that company only.

Unfortunately - currently I see no event for St Louis - which last year was very well attended. St Louis also had a very good mix of rolling stock displays including Amtrak. MetroLink offered 200 people a tour of their facilities last year. I just went live with video from that event. Working on getting more online this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back